RA Coaching Forum

Muse Runner's 10k Training Log (Read 1627 times)

mikeymike

Easy mileage. 45 minutes. No big hills!

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

oops! too late. i was a tough girl today and did my workout. felt good! icing my feet and tonight after work i will take an ice bath and a jacuzzi after. i'll be good tomorrow is off. i was stoaked to run my last 200 meters at a totally wreckless abandon speed. FUN! i know i could have pushed more but i kind of wanted to see how it would feel to let my legs open big with the strides. the last one really felt like it was opening my legs where as the others felt more like quick turn over. tomorrow is a celebratory rest day! Smile (i hope)
      running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
      muse_runner

keep running.

confirmation: tomorrow is a rest day... though I feel better today than I expected. off for a nice bath. i think i am getting addicted to hot baths with eucalyptus. i take a book in.... forget the TV this is HEAVEN!
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
        muse_runner

keep running.

hello i am taking a full day off including nothing but sitting on my ass. no cross training or anything. don't hate me folks for trying! i also left the house before i read your replies...

Wasatch Speedgoat

You will be a much better runner for taking a day off Wink

Life is short, play hard!

muse_runner

keep running.

Thanks Steve. I've been taking it slow on a lot of my runs and it is helping. I missed not running today though. Not for any other reason than it clears the darn cobwebs out. I am just a big ole mental fog without exercise. HOW on earth do mortals NOT exercise before work? Also my mood is generally poopy. Endorphins, I love you.
                Totally get what your saying Muse! Took my first full day off on Monday and I have another one this Friday. Not sure how I got through the day and I'm sure my dh was wishing he was elsewhere lol.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

muse_runner

keep running.

Thanks for dropping in mamma! Oh the 800's are fun. kind of. 400's are my least favorite. I am what they call a long distance runner. I train according to the "long distance" side of things. I am at the slower end of all calculations. This is my body, it is what it is. Why did I just say this? I don't know. Whatever. Yeah having the day off was kind of crappy 'cause work was soooo busy that the pre-release of stress would have been stellar. My mood was groggy. Is this normal? haha I guess one year later it really goes to show you how much you can change! I like running 2 weeks and then taking a break, but normally it's about every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks my body and brain say "OK! running is not that much fun now. you must rest." Smile thanks for dropping by. i'll lurk/stalk you. since I am your shadow... for a little while...
                  mikeymike

That day off will pay you back nicely a couple/few days from now. It's tough to keep pushing at just the right intensity without going over the line and needing a day off once in a while...took me a few years to get that right. I used to plan a day off every 2-3 weeks too. Now I don't need to. Good stuff.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Thanks for your insights Mikey! I think the beauty of a training log is not to track your progress (be it pace, race, mileage) but to see patterns. I'm trying to get that right now. I have my speed and off days down as far as what my body prefers, but as far as cycling low and high on a "macro" level I haven't quite figured that out yet. Smile I believe I need more rest than I'm giving myself. But I just don't know. I think the races will spell that out for me. I have another race next Sunday. Smile So yeah, I'd better relax, eat well, and try *try* to be stress free. off to visit your journal.
                      muse_runner

keep running.

Update. Things are not going well. I am really sore all over. I decided that the 2000 mile group isn't for me while I am speed training. I can't handle this load of mileage plus speed 2 times a week. Sad Not sure what is going on but I am trying to listen to my body and scale back. I have a race lined up almost every weekend so that's that. My 5k wasn't a 5k. Sad The course wasn't certified and they re-routed it from last year. I finished at least 1.5 minutes slower than last year, though my Garmin shows me much faster than last year. The whole race I was hurting very badly, pushing myself as hard as I possibly could for as long as I possibly could. My whole body felt extremely heavy and I thought I was going to barf about three minutes into the race. Last year they put up mile markers, this year nothing. Not one mile marker. Roll eyes My Garmin said the course was 3.47 miles. Last year when I ran it, my Garmin said it was 3.14 miles. I know that Garmins are often off a little but that is pretty significant. I have also never EVER seen my time that slow in my life. Not even in high school. Sad So there is nothing to report for certainty. Grrr... At least I for sure got a V02max workout! I was totally red-lining as far as my HR goes. I guess I'll post my splits by my Garmin ... 2006 splits (my first 5k done after just starting up running for like 2 months) 2006 splits by Garmin (no mile markers): mile 1: 6:57 mile 2: 14:53 mile 3: 23:05 end: 23:47 2007 splits by Garmin mile 1: 6:56 mile 2: 13:30 mile 3: 21:14 end: ???? 25:00 well that's all folks. 10k is this Sunday. I hope to start at a nice pace, and finish something under 49 minutes. I've never broken it yet. Sad I feel overdue, but I won't break it if I don't take a bunch of time to recover by dropping out the speedwork and doing some easy runs and a teenie bit of progression runs.
                        Scout7

If it helps, my race on Saturday.....Yeah, I thought it was a 5k....turned out to be a 5 MILER. Little different. I was somewhat upset when we didn't turn towards the finish like I thought we would.
                            Garmin's are weird. This is my summary of my HM yesterday.Total Time (h:m:s) 1:51:42 (turned off a couple seconds after finishing) 8:21 pace Moving Time (h:m:s) 1:51:42 8:21 pace Distance (mi ) 13.38 SUCKS when your not sure how far you ran, but you know you ran more than what they say! Your going to kick a$$ come next weekend!! Hope to see you back on the 2000 board SOON!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

muse_runner

keep running.

Thanks guys! Smile I just know I was freaking RED-LINING my heart rate about 3 minutes into it. I totally had that Dead feeling. So today I jogged to the track and did a mile. I just wanted to see what comfortably hard would get me (not peeking at any of my splits for each of the 400 meters). I wanted to see what a "push" on tired legs (effort about 8/10) would get me *on tired legs*. I finished the mile in 7:40. I thought for sure it would say 8:45. So... I think I went out in my 5k waaaaaaay too fast. I'm guessing my Garmin is off pretty badly 'cause it said my mile was 1.09 miles however, I have heard that Garmins are really bad when you make sharp small turns and are pretty precise when the route is very straight (not a lot of twists and turns). Sometimes it's right on the money, other times it's not. If that really was a 5k then I ran an 8 minute mile. Considering that my recent 10k was sub-8 I really doubt that! I hope....eeekkk anyhow I'm beat and I'm going for lower mileage. Smile
                              muse_runner

keep running.

Scout I would have DIED if I pushed a 5k pace for a 5 miler. How did it work out for you?