RA Coaching Forum

HM 05/06, full M 11/27/07 - Advice needed (Read 217 times)

Along for the Ride

Hi all, here some background and then my plans to follow. Would love some feedback from you experienced runners! Started running in May 2004, first HM in 08/04 1:57, full marathon 11/28/04 4:59:49 (only one 20 miler in training, could have benefitted from more long long runs?). No consistent training after that. Another HM 2:02 in May 2005. Back injury (herniated lumbar disc 09/06), fully recovered from it, causes no problems running. Started running again in February. HM coming up on May 6th. Training went well, except for some shin splints. Probably caused by shoes/insoles. Now ok. Question: do you think a 1:55 HM is possible in 2 weeks? Should I try for 12 miles this Sunday or scale it down a bit? 10 miles? Is a sub 4 marathon possible in November 2007? Training plan suggestions? How helpful is cycling and swimming? Swimming was my favorite x-training exercise while on the bench with the back. 1000yds freestyle are still a good challenge. Cycling ... we want to do the STP (206 miles in 2 days) in the beginning of July. Is this "smart" to slide it in between the running training plans for HM and M? Advise away! Big grin

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

mikeymike

Nice avatar pic! I think a sub 4 marathon in November is more feasible than a sub 2 half in two weeks just because you have enough time to make major improvements in fitness by then. But it will take a major commitment and consistency between now and then. You may be able to squeak out a sub 2 half in two weeks but there is nothing much you can do between now and then to improve your chances so it's just a matter of whether you want to go for it and make it hurt (a lot) and take the chance of beating yourself up and still not breaking 2. If you go for it and fail, the last few miles will suck. Bad. There's no downside to trying 12 this weekend. It will probably give you a better idea how close you are to 2 hours. I've seen some amazing results from cycling and swimming. Swimming especially. In general, the best way to get faster at running is to run more, but for people who tend to break down from high mileage, swimming and biking can help supplement your aerobic work while actually helping you recover from the running. Good luck!

Runners run

Along for the Ride

Thanks for the advice so far! After having a pretty crappy 12 mile run last weekend, I will attempt a 10 mile run at race pace (for a sub 2 HM) and see how that feels. I also tend to push a lot harder during races and not so much while training. The adrenalin on race day will cover the last 3 miles ... The 1:57 HM I ran - comfortable pace until mile 7, then I picked it up quite a bit. i thought I was almost at the finish and really pushed at the end. If nothing else, this HM will be a good milestone to measure future progress. I will keep supplementing with swimming, the spine doc let me go with the advice of running 2-3 times a week will be safe. More might cause more back problems. What is your thought on weight training? I am not a big fan of lifting, but I love Yoga. Have been doing Yoga once a week and find after the "Long Run Sunday" it really works out all the "kinks". Last question: heart zone training. I am using a HRM now and think I am running all my runs too fast for my current cardio-vascular level. My heartrate is mostly in zone 4. How important is training in zone 3? Will I see improvements and still build my base when mostly in zone 4? I guess I should see improvement of my cardiovascular fitness from regular swimming? I don't think I could run slow enough to stay in zone 3 ... How much speedwork? Is just accumulating the miles more or less important than speedwork? Hills? I am determined to get as close to a sub 4 Marathon in November as possible! Probably another HM in July to measure progress. Thanks again for the help!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Wasatch Speedgoat

One bit of advice I can give is if you can, join a local club. Nothing will help you improve in your running better than getting with a bunch of runners. Join them for your long runs and add 10 minutes every weekend to gradually build that up. Join them on the track, even if you are dead last and they are waiting for you to start again. With these two workouts (and fill in the other days with recovery runs) you will be able to improve and watch that improvement. On the HR thing...I have one really good place to read on that. http://formationflier.spaces.live.com/ This guy went from a 4:30 ish marathon to a 3:11 (just run at Boston) in three years using this program. He ran the 3:11 3 weeks after finishing top ten in a 100 mile run in 18+ hours. Now I don't condone total slow running, but i think it is important to build an aerobic base before you can even think of running fast...I like to run easier several times a week at a minimum for recovery from and rest for faster or longer days. You can get quicker, but it's all up to how much you WANT to improve.... Mike's right, nice avatar, you are a happy runner Smile

Life is short, play hard!