RA Coaching Forum

Marathon Taper (Read 387 times)

Why is it sideways?

Since the 2000 mile club is rapidly degenerating, and I don't want to stop the momentum, I'll post my training question here. I'm at the beginning of my taper (started this week, three weeks before my goal marathon). I really notice the difference in my energy on my runs. I take this to be a good thing. However, I am sorely tempted (and have given in to the temptation) to run faster because I feel better. (See yesterday's run.) How much should I resist this temptation? Should I be cutting back on mileage AND pace for my taper? Or should I naturally let the pace of my runs rise a bit as the mileage drops? My taper will look something like this: Week 1 (finishes Sunday): 70% of peak mileage. Workouts: 1 day fartlek, 90 minute progression run, with last 45 minutes at or slightly under MP. Week 2: 50% of peak mileage. Workouts: 8 X 400--200 on, 200 off, 2 X 5 miles MP. Week 3: 30 min easy running every day until go time Saturday AM.
    Scout7

This is a hotly debated topic, in terms of both the taper, and how to "carbo-load". I will preface by saying that most of the established guidelines are rules of thumb, so your individual experience may vary to some greater or lesser extent. I would say that you should do your runs at the pace or RPE prescribed. If it feels easy to run at a faster clip, the may not necessarily be a detriment. I think the bigger issue would be doing speed work too fast / hard. I mention the carbo-loading only because I have seen articles that discuss different methods, and most of them relate to the workouts in terms of intensity. I've seen some stuff that suggests short but intense session the day before the race, because it will trick your body into overloading its glycogen stores. The duration shouldn't compromise your race, though.
      muse_runner

keep running.

Yay Jeff, you gave me an excuse to post my favorite training post... I feel honored!
        Muse - Perhaps one of our running friends can find the thread you are talking about? As a general rule, heavy tapering is best saved for sprinters and middle distance runners. It also is fine (too) for anyone who has been pushing the limits of their adaptive capacity for a long time. Aout 80% of the runners you see at a race starting line do not need to taper much at all. Rather, they need to reduce the severity of their training in the last 5-20 days prior to a big race so that their legs regain power. Tapering volume will return power to one's legs, but it also crushes endurance for some runners. Iet's use an example runner to clarify my points. Joe is a 16:15 5k runner who runs about 65 miles per week, most weeks. He is serious about his sport. He runs VO2 max intervals every week. He has a big race in 2 weeks and reads that tapering to about 1/3rd of normal volume will help him reach a peak performance. If Joe tapers from his normal 65 miles per week to 25 miles per week in the last 2-weeks before an important 5k race, he'd walk around with a bounce (power) in his step after about 4-6 days. *This is irrelevant power - the kind that makes his legs feel strong, but it won't necessairly translate into improved 5k race performance. If Joe ran a 400m sprint at the beginning, middle and end of his taper, he might drop from 62 seconds to 60 seconds to 58 seconds, but does that mean he will run faster in the 5k? Probably not! Why? In most cases, he would lose a lot of aerobic endurance because his mileage was tapered too much. He'd fail in a 5k race because after the first kilometer he'd need to call upon anaerobic capacity to run a given pace that is normally supplied by aerobic capacity. (Anytime you use anaerobic capacity, you have limited time-duration of running fast). A better way to elevate useable leg power is tapering normal quantities of fast, extended running. If Joe normally runs 6 x 800m at 5k to 3k pace (VO2 max training), for example, and he reduces that number to just 3 reps (during the last week before a big race) then his legs won't be as tired, as sore, or as weak. His ability to run well, just a few days later, is likely to be realized. Joe would probably run faster than he has in a quite awhile in a 5k - provided he ignored the common advice about cutting mielage. The above is an oversimplification, sure, but it is clear: distance runners should avoid tapering weekly mileage and, instead, reduce the amount of fast running they do so that their legs feel fresher. By the way, tapering has it's time-limits. If a race is only "a little bit important" race then a short taper of fast running is sufficient - about 3 days. If a race is "fairly important" but not a peak race, then a medium taper of fast reps is suggested - about 6 days. If a race is the peak of the season, a longer tapering of fast running should take place - about 9 days. Note: Races that require a lot of stored sugar (glycogen) in your legs and liver will require you to taper weekly mileage. You simply have no choice in the matter. But, a mileage taper that super-compensates your legs and liver only takes about 4-6 days to complete. If you have legs that are sore (beat up from heavy training that you did not keep in-check), then you wil have to taper up to 3 or more weeks. It takes a long time to return beat-up legs to a healthy status. I've known runners who did not listen to their body's and ran on sore, tired legs for a few weeks and then found that their race times and places were getting worse. They thought that tapering a week or two would help them reach top form, but they were wrong. They went over the edge: They dug to deep into their reserves and it ended up taking them 6 or more weeks of reduced training before their legs felt good again. Hope the above helps! Regards, Tinman
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Why is it sideways?

Thanks, Scout. I'm not planning on doing any special nutritional tricks during the taper. Except eating pasta the evening before, if that counts as a trick. Should I?
          Scout7

It's not so much nutritional tricks, so much as it is sort of an understanding of how intensities of runs during the taper might affect the concept of carbo-loading. From my understanding, generally, you should keep your diet pretty much the same. You will probably gain a little weight (as you've said you noticed), but it shouldn't be a big deal. Pasta the night before is fine. I would just make sure you put in some sort of mileage earlier in the day, and follow that up immediately with something like a sports drink. I personally prefer a beer or two the night before as well.

Why is it sideways?

Yay Jeff, you gave me an excuse to post my favorite training post...
              Wow. So, I'm doing it exactly wrong--cutting weekly mileage and increasing intensity instead of cutting intensity and maintaining mileage. I was worried that I had too much bounce in my legs this week--three weeks out from the marathon. Though I ran more mileage than ever in my life the last couple of weeks, I kept the intensity really low--so, frankly, I don't feel much need to recover. Though I have to say that I have been looking forward to not running twice a day. Maybe I'll stay closer to 70 than 50 next week, but run them easy.
              muse_runner

keep running.

Yeah I'd think in terms of "saving it" for the race. Gosh, not only are you fast but you like to push a lot and you still don't get broken down. Grrrrrr... how in the world you can handle that... I don't know!
                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Why is it sideways?

Good genes.
                  muse_runner

keep running.

prick Roll eyes hehe but seriously I would strongly consider that article. think of how good you'll perform when you see your anaerobic capacity as a limited storage system... just sayin'

Why is it sideways?

Actually, my new strategy for training this year has been to run (almost) totally aerobically. That's why I've been able to reach all of those high miles--by not pushing on my runs, unless they are planned tempos, and even those I've erred on the side of caution. Rereading the article--this race is something of a peak for me, so I wonder if I should lean towards the "longer tapering of faster running..." Seems like Tinman is talking about how it's unnecessary to taper much for the 5k, but would he say the same thing about the marathon? To some extent, I think I'm just nervous about it. What I'll probably do is just run once a day for about an hour until a couple of days before the race and then do 30 minutes or so. Throw in some MP running on occasion to dial in pace. i just hate this antsy feeling of knowing I'm in good shape but having to wait on the race.
                      muse_runner

keep running.

I had another post from him on tapering for a marathon... I'll have to find it. It's even better than this post. But actually the longer the distance the less you want to do inn terms of speed training. I'd say strides inside of easy runs should be it 1 week before the marathon. Are you doing a 3 or 2 week taper?
                        mikeymike

Muse beat me to it. Yes Jeff. Cut intensity not mileage. Tinman has given me the same advice. Tapering is one area where average Joe's and Jane's (and you are way above average but still not elite) can really screw up if they try to copy the training of elites and just scale everything in the same proportion. 60 mpw is sort of the cutoff for needing to really taper mileage--that's the point where you can maintain aerobic fitness. If you're running less than that, you really shouldn't taper much. The further above 60 you are running, the more you need to taper in order to go to the race rested. 70 next week and 60 the week before the race mostly easy, should do it. Reduce the duration and intensity of workouts. Yes Tinman talks about the dangers of tapering too much for the marathon. Especially for the marathon because you need every last bit of aerobic fitness.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Thanks, guys. Makes good sense.
                            mikeymike

From Peter Gilmore's Blog on RWOL. Because it has to do with the taper, AND progression runs: April 11, 2007 Slicing The Baloney The last week before the Boston Marathon has arrived and I’m trying hard to feel lousy. Every runner looks forward to tapering before a big race. The mileage gets cut back and the workouts get less demanding. My problem is that the better I feel a week before a marathon, the more sluggish I feel on race day. Last year I experimented with a less severe taper in mileage before my marathons and it resulted in my two fastest times. The only drawback to this approach is that you don’t get to experience the intoxicating giddiness that comes from cutting your weekly mileage in half before the race. It’s also a little scary not feeling your best in the days leading up to such an important race. For my final week, I plan on running around 105 miles, down from a peak volume of 160 miles per week. (For clarity I should explain that I end my training weeks on Saturday. If you include the 6 mile jog I have planned for Sunday, the final seven days will total about 95 miles. If you understood what I just wrote, you also spend too much time thinking about running Smile If I’ve planned all this correctly, I should wake up on Monday morning and feel like I have wings on my feet. This morning I did one of my favorite workouts, a 10-mile progression run. I don’t really consider it a workout, since I do it on the recovery days between the more “formal” workouts, but it does require the same concentration and planning that speed and tempo sessions call for. The goal is to smoothly progress from an easy pace at the start of the run, to marathon pace at the end of the run. If you run too fast, too early, it’s hard to finish the run at a decent pace. Getting the pacing right on the progression runs always reminds me of a quote about pole vault legend Sergey Bubka. When Bubka attempted a world record, he never put the bar too high. He was content to break the record one centimeter at a time, even when he had the strength to go much higher. This strategy was described as “slicing the baloney” because he chose to break the record by the slimmest of margins. This allowed him to travel to the next meet and have a decent shot at setting another new record. In total, he broke the world record 35 times over his illustrious career. Slicing the baloney is the key to a successful progression run. By improving just a little bit at each split, you ensure there is enough gas in the tank to finish the run. This technique also gives you the chance to hone important pacing skills. Those skills come in handy during a marathon when it can be all too tempting to run an overly aggressive early pace. Lowlight of the Week: Watching my California Golden Bears lose The Big Meet to Stanford. This marked the 113th year of the dual meet. Every few years we like to let them win one, just to keep things interesting. Highlight of the Week: Hearing from so many old friends who called and to wish me good luck in Boston. I know a lot of them read my blog, so I wanted to take this chance to say thanks.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Thanks, Mike. That puts Muse's excellent article in perspective. Gilmore cuts his mileage down to 60%, but that's still 95 miles. A 95 mile week taper! Nuts! I like the stuff about progression runs, too. I'm excited to see how things come out. I think part of what makes me excited is that I can really feel the effects of this extended period of high mileage. In January when I pushed the upper end of my aerobic runs, I would hit 6:20. Pushing now drops me sub-6:00. I was shocked this morning to find my pace work out to sub-7:00 because I felt like I was running 7:30's or slower. For the first time, I think I see a way back to running the times I ran in college. Or, what's more exciting, even faster. I thought it was going to take grueling intervals, but I think I see now that it's going to take time. The blunt stone of aerobic running. Pretty cool.