RA Coaching Forum

Welcome (Read 610 times)

Scout7

I will. I wanted to run so badly today, that I guess I'll just try to go with that feeling. It is weird not having a goal- that's the whole reason I've been out there running so far. So, I'll aim to keep up my 3x, maybe move to 4x/week and see where it gets me. I need to figure out what a normal long run is for me. So no speed work or something fun like that? Come on, coaches! I have a dissertation to avoid! Wink
    Long easy runs are better for avoiding dissertations anyway. Just ask Jeff The Hippie (henceforth referred to as JTH). Hey, if you're feeling antsy about getting back out there, by all means, get back out there. People recover at different rates, so it's tough to really say how much of a break you need. So, I'd play it by ear for the first 2-3 weeks. I've found that if I can break my year into one or two big races ("A" races), it makes planning for them much easier.

madness baby

Long easy runs are better for avoiding dissertations anyway. Just ask Jeff The Hippie (henceforth referred to as JTH). Hey, if you're feeling antsy about getting back out there, by all means, get back out there. People recover at different rates, so it's tough to really say how much of a break you need. So, I'd play it by ear for the first 2-3 weeks. I've found that if I can break my year into one or two big races ("A" races), it makes planning for them much easier.
      I am currently experiencing an overload of work, so it looks like it will be one month of no long easy runs for me. Sad I posted the above, and somehow, immediately, I got word that my defense was moved up a few weeks. Forced rest. Damn. I'll get back to my goals for coaching in mid-April. WOOHOOO! Big grin
      deb

Why is it sideways?

But you can't possibly study for your defense all day? Sounds like long easy runs are just what you need for stress relief. Wink Signed, JTH

madness baby

JTH- Oh, no, not studying. Just writing the last 2 chapters. I'm screwed. Stress relief better occur within 3-5 mile runs! If I could insert that little pink shocked smiley above (I'm on a mac), I would put it here. Maybe next to the little green guy crying as well as the green cross-eyed guy. Then a big 8 ball. Then I'd have to find a picture of a runner getting run over by her committee. Wink deb
          deb
          staypuff

Hi Im a relatively new runner started running to lose weight but now have the bug. I would like to complete a half marathon in October this year and learn to increse my speed and run correctly so im looking for some good coaching tips stella
              I'm looking to learn from all of you - I started running in 01, had some great progress - did 2 marathons in 02, 1 in 03, 1 in 04, none in 05 (ganglion cysts) and am planning for 2 spring HM and a fall marathon.... been averaging about 20 mpw til some soft tissue injury this week... No specific requests - but want to learn...
              Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4

Wasatch Speedgoat

Well, you're probably here for reason. So, let's hear it.
                Just found this group....I guess I would be here more as an adviser than a recipient of information. But I also find that no matter how much i have learned, I learn something new or more every day...even in running...and THAT is really why I am here. Been running since the good old days of the 70's, mid 70's to be exacter. Bill Rodgers, Frank Shorter...ahhhh, those were the days. Anyway...been running for about 32 years. Have run sub 2:50 marathons and sub 5 minute miles....a loooong time ago. I've learned a lot along the way and eventually settled into a program that works for me. Some of my gurus were Dr. Ernst Van Aaken and Tom Osler. Who are they you say? I can get to that at another time... My training theory is such: 1. Consistency ( stay as regular with your running as possible and you will become a better runner.) 2. Miles (Run as many miles in as many days regardless of pace) 3. Long Run (Get one in once a week...I don't care if you are a 10Ker or a marathoner, run long once a week....and long can be 10 miles if you run 30 miles a week or it should be around 22 for a marathon. I'm an ultramarathoner and will regularly run 25 on Saturday and 15 on Sunday) 4. Speed ( Do this once running gets easy, can be tempos, intervals, fartleks, whatever you want to call it.) 5. Race (Once a month if you can, it's different than speedwork and is a great social activity. Running is the meal, racing is the dessert) 6. Be easy on yourself (If you HAVE to miss a run, don't try to make it up.) 7. Family first (This should be number 1) Have fun! (#8 or #1, put it where you want) Wink Steve

Life is short, play hard!