RA Coaching Forum

Muse Runner's 10k Training Log (Read 1627 times)

Sorry to hear all this!! Totally know all about having a heavy duty lifestyle. Gave up my "part time job (was actually doing 35 hours a week with no benefits and it was all after 6 pm well except the hours on the weekend) mainly due to dh becoming a consultant and being out of town alot, but also due to the fact that I was basically up from 5-1am (wish it included clubing or something fun but it didn't ) Good luck finding your balance! I'll be back trying to figure that out come fall when I start school full time. Modified to add if your not taking vitamins START!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

muse_runner

keep running.

I should start taking vitamins... hmmm I eat a ton of veggies every day and I love dairy so I get my calciYUM in... I wonder where my vitamins are low. Any good recommendations? I have a lot of allergies so I have to be careful. I once took glutamine supplements and I had the worst allergies! Anyhow... should I just take something like Centrum? Feeling a LOT better now. Smile
      running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
      muse_runner

keep running.

I should add that working something like 50 hours a week the past 3 weeks hasn't been great for me. I think all of that plus the fact that I've been to a few parties and flown to another party and did a pretty OK job of keeping up with my running and then also writing my dissertation and a small grant in my spare time has probably led me here. I guess the answer for me is to pick which thing isn't that stressful on my immune system. I'm gonna have to say it's the long hours of work. I'm going to have to cut down on those for sure. Otherwise I'm going to keep getting sick like this. thanks for caring Pam! Smile
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
          damn girl you need to cut some hours from work! It will probably do wonders. I'd go with a simple multi vitamin (centrum is good). Glad to hear your feeling better! And your welcome hun Big grin

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hey! Jen! Come out come out wherever you are................. Big grin
            "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
              Hey! Jen! Come out come out wherever you are................. Big grin
              Seconds this!

madness baby

haven't been around much, but i was just checking in on you, girl.
                I wrote 25 pages of my dissertation!!! yay! that is the freaking marathon of marathons
                so true, so true. congrats on having such a productive week!! hope things are going well
                deb
                muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Gals, So the virus I've had is still hanging on. The only way I can describe it is that it's like a flesh eating disease. In fact I'm eating more (which is fun) and I'm just barely maintaining my weight. The problem is that my endurance is sucking horribly for some odd reason. I am still integrating hard workouts but less longer mileage which means less MPW. At first I was totally freaking out but I'm learning to understand my own battles with control and my own self-messages of perfectionism. It's definitely hard to want to look like a body builder (hah!), be a better runner, and be a great student all together. You know something's gotta give when you attempt all of those things. For me, my immune system finally cried out "F--- you!" It's scaring me how weak I am because marathon training is coming soon. However, as part of my renewed approach to all of this, I'm just seeing it as meant to be. I'm going to peak at 60-something miles per week in my next marathon training cycle. This is a ton of mileage and research suggests that this high of mileage taxes your immune system. So with that understanding of what is to come for me, it's in my best interest to let myself heal. In letting myself heal I realized how much lactic acid I was carrying around in my legs on a daily basis. I feel so much lighter in my legs and they are not so tender all of the time. I will need to figure out a good way to avoid leg-burn out when I am training hard. Anyhow it's been a good experience (though bad because being sick is horrible) for me. Slowing down by force was something I didn't want to do but with having the flu/virus AND having the metatarsal trauma in my foot I realized that I was breaking down a bit. Sure I don't run like a lot of others do, but I never really gave myself a big mental break after my 1st marathon. I deserve to look back and take stock and just relax for a while instead of rushing to assess options for motivation (e.g., 10k's etc). My 10k improvements will happen when I'm ready. Not when I'm burned out. And even with wavering motivation since Feb, I've still PR'd a lot . That is saying quite a bit. So anyhow the goal now is to get my strength back and just to maintain my fitness. Nothing amazing for now. Then not next week but the week after I start half-marathon training (a short program) which will bleed into the base training for my marathon training schedule. so that's the plan. knowing what is on the horizon for me, and having had experience marathon training makes me a much more calculated runner than the person I was before. I just dove into things without thinking... Smile
                  muse_runner

keep running.

Run Chic-- I knew you'd understand! I just got back 2 days worth of edits. I totally have no creative control in my field. Did you? They even changed the title of my dissert! Anyhow... thanks for understanding!!
                      Sorry to hear your immune system has taken quite a beating. I'm still waiting for mine to turn on me. Being a full time mom, running 50 or so miles a week, working out 2-3 times a week and all the other crap that I have to do through out the week is tough. So far the healthy gawds are watching out for me. Good luck in getting your strength and endurance back! Have fun half marathon training and don't be a stranger!

madness baby

Glad your legs are feeling a little better with some rest! Not so much problems with creative control- I had way too much control and needed and wanted some guidance! I guess it goes both ways, nothing's ever in balance. You'll get there. Just keep it a priority. Smile Take it easy, girl!
                        deb