RA Coaching Forum

Chenille - Injury Recovery 8-12 weeks Goal maintain aerobic fitness and muscle tone (Read 500 times)

My sense is that my quads are bearing the bulk of the workouts and my hamstrings may be getting short changed - given my restrictions, any suggestions? Update: 2nd week recovery Did "real" push ups unassisted for the first time that I can ever remember!!! Shocked Well only 4 - but it's a start! Hit 60 continuous min DWR @ pace (av HR158) - followed with "drills" - butt kicks are really hard to do in water! elliptical remains pain free during and post - so am at 30 - 40 min sessions(mod pace) on weight days It ain't running - but progress is progress Roll eyes Weight Training: Bench Press - Lat pull down - standing Tri - chin up/dip machine - flyes(?) - bicep super slow - shoulder press - hip shrugs - pullovers - floor hip work - stretches esp ITB - lots of assorted ab work - fracture site is 3" above the ankle - I think this is why no lower leg machines/squats - I plan on adding resistance band exercises next week - band will be around my foot - target lower leg muscles - gently

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Wingz

Professional Noob

fracture site is 3" above the ankle - I think this is why no lower leg machines/squats - I plan on adding resistance band exercises next week - band will be around my foot - target lower leg muscles - gently
      Erm... hate to interrupt, but you may want to check that part out with your PT. Putting a resistance band around your foot to exercise the legs... is gonna have to stress that site. I don't see how it couldn't! Just don't want you to get hurt... Black eye

Roads were made for journeys...

PT says fine - these exercises are done seated with knee braced so that only the foot is in motion - good idea to check 1st,though. Thanks, Wingz.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Why is it sideways?

I don't have too much to say, except, good job staying motivated! If you are worried about the relative weakness of your hamstrings, you might try lunges if your PT says it's okay. I don't think they'd put too much stress on your lower leg, particularly if you didn't use any weight. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4271786.stm
            Week 3: I seem to have developed a lazy leg - I am measuring a 1" difference in size between my R and L leg(had DH take the measurements) this is in both the quad and the calf Shocked The only think I can think of, is that because I ran on that leg injured for so long, that I've been subconsciously shifting my weight to the left. No way I would try to run with this kind of muscle discrepancy No- New strategy - I have slowed pace in DWR to 160 - 170 - this gives me time to focus on form and to consciously force my R leg to work harder.I was definitely more tired and I can "feel" my R leg muscles - L leg goes "eh". I am focusing on keeping the "current" I produce when kicking even to both legs. Swimming - I'm alternating between laps of backstroke, and breast stroke. For 1 length of each backstroke lap, I kick with just my R leg. I've also added a protein shake with EAA(not sure if it's hype or not - left overs from DS bodybuilding supplies Wink) post work out and will be upping total protein to about 80 -100/day. I have started the band exercises. I'm up to 60 min on the elliptical and have cautiously added a little crossramp. So far so good. Pain is 0 at all times. Any other suggestions appreciated - not sure what I am going to increase next week yet - want to see how this goes. I think of this as creative active recovery. Hardest part - trying to build in rest time for actual muscle recovery Big grin

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

week 4: xt going well - however, there was a big jump in total activity and I ended up really tired week 5: this was more of a rest week as I reassess and start incorporating a little more impact. Short sessions spinning and biking tolerated pain free. Biking limited to 15 min rides as I plan to add low weight leg press this week. Schedule is tentative and will back off/take rest days as needed at the first sign of pain. Week 6 starts today.. Monday - DWR - endurance Tues and Fri - strength + 30-45 min elliptical/body tek Wednesday - DWR - short - swim laps - double leg plyos in chest deep water - (up/down) Thurs - pilates Sat - free choice 60 -75 min aerobics Sun - off Not tolerating single leg eccentric muscle exercises as well as I hoped- so am holding off on those. Re-eval/leg length discrepancy check is now scheduled for May 3rd - I've waited this long, I guess I can hold out until the 3rd - hopefully I'll be cleared to start treadmill walking at that time.

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

I was scheduled for DWR – short session, laps, and water plyos. I just could not seem to get my HR up. The water was cool, but not “cold”. My right calf felt tight and what came to mind was Steve’s “pregnant with injury” remark to Muse. Calf pain was in the upper outer area – injury site was pain free. I debated about just bagging the workout, but I have also been a little scared about re-injury and didn’t want to quit without good reason. Since I won’t be able to exercise tomorrow, I thought I would cautiously proceed. It took about 15 minutes for the calf pain to go away. I just gave up trying to get my HR up, and decided to go for time and make it a recovery workout. I was able to do the hour and then swim laps. Walking over to the shallow end – I did not have any calf pain so I went ahead with the water plyos. I was able to repeat Monday’s double hops (9 x 30), and added 3 x 30 single leg hops (up/down). I am happy to report that 10 hrs post workout, my injury site is still pain free, although my right calf feels somewhat bruised, and my quads are definitely feeling the effects of the plyos - even with extra stretching during the day. Luckily I have a massage therapy session scheduled for tomorrow, although I’m afraid it’s going to hurt! So did I do the right thing by adjusting the intensity of my workout – or was I just lucky that I didn’t “provoke” my injury?

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

mikeymike

Sounds like you did the right thing. I don't really have any experience with the water running...the calf thing *sounds* unrelated to your injury and could have just been a cramp. Tough to say.

Runners run

Had my 7 week check and while the x-rays show calus - there is still healing in progress. Since the injury area doesn't have the greatest blood supply. Doc says no running for 5 more weeks - to make it a full 12 weeks. The upside - I have been given clearance to continue doing "what ever you have been doing...don't tell me the details, I don't want to know" Big grin He did say that the "twinges" I get are coming from the bone, based on the location of the "twinges". I am to continue using the bone stimulator for now. He is pleased with the progress and I just need to call and let him know when I start running again. New Plan: 1) I am at 4000 meters rowing, 6-7 miles biking, 1 hr elliptical, and lower body strength work with low weights, 2) 1 session water running in waist - chest deep levels + water plyometrics 3) 1 session DWR for endurance I am going to hold at this level and focus on building those calf muscles and hamstrings back up. When I hit 10 weeks - I will add aggressive walking so I will be able to run at 12 weeks..... when I will be in Eugene, Or.....on Pre's Trail....woodchip heaven......a fitting reward for being "good" with my rehab Wink Thanks for your help and encouragement. I feel I achieved my goal - and look forward to formulating a new, smarter way to train for the future. Cheryl

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group