RA Coaching Forum

Scout's Training Journal (Read 697 times)

Scout7

02/11/08 OK, so, I missed a few days of logging here. Yesterday was windy. And I started struggling after mile 13. Probably due to pushing it on Saturday. Although, I did do the 18 with no support, and while I slowed down towards the end, it was never all that horrible. Plus, it was the longest run since....OCT. Today: easy almost 3. Bitter cold, and legs felt a little tired. I considered going further, but my right shin is bothering me today, has been since I got up this morning. I'm thinking it's time for new shoes at this point. It's either shins or knees that start to signal. I'm at around 350 for this pair, anyway, give or take, so that's pretty good.

I'm thinking it's time for new shoes at this point. It's either shins or knees that start to signal. I'm at around 350 for this pair, anyway, give or take, so that's pretty good.
      Shins and knees are always a good sign for new shoes. I'm glad that I use pretty neutral shoes that last a while; I usually get around 500 miles out of each pair. Just retired one pair and am getting pretty close on my asics. They are my street screw shoes right now, so I've been wearing them a bit more than I probably should be.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

I usually get closer to 400 before I start to feel it, but, there's always a certain level of variation, even within the same line. I've tried a number of different shoes, and found that I get the most bang for my buck of out the Mizuno Wave Riders. They're relatively light, hold up fairly well, and feel good on my feet. I do some wear testing for Brooks on occasion, so I have a few pair of them laying around. The last pair they made me try was the Beast. Yeah, they didn't last long. The arch support was in a bad spot for my foot and gave me blisters. I think I did maybe 20 miles in them.

I've tried a number of different shoes, and found that I get the most bang for my buck of out the Mizuno Wave Riders.
          I couldn't run further than 4 miles in the wave riders before my feet started to hurt. I won free mizunos for a year from a race series last year, though, so I've been running in the precisions - those are nice and work out pretty well for me.

Run to Win

Scout7

Haven't tried the Precisions. I've been thinking about looking for something new for races. I'm kinda lazy when it comes to shoe shopping, though.

Haven't tried the Precisions. I've been thinking about looking for something new for races. I'm kinda lazy when it comes to shoe shopping, though.
              The precisions are nice and light - a bit over 10 ounces. I did my last marathon in them. Most of my shoe shopping the past couple of years has been through the nike race catalog, since they sponsor my team and I can get them for 25% off of wholesale. Can't beat free, though, so I had to put more effort in to get the mizunos. At least I'm running from that store once a week now so I have more opportunities to use up the certificates.

Run to Win

Scout7

02/12/08 Definitely the shoes causing the shin pain. Had another pair laying around, did some easy running in them, the shin wasn't nearly as hurty today. So, at least it's nothing serious.

02/12/08 Definitely the shoes causing the shin pain. Had another pair laying around, did some easy running in them, the shin wasn't nearly as hurty today. So, at least it's nothing serious.
                  You don't rotate your shoes at all?

Run to Win

Scout7

You don't rotate your shoes at all?
                    Generally, no. I never had a need to. I have trail-specific shoes, but I wear those for trail races (which tends to be the only time I'm on trails....the joys of suburbia).
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You might want to consider a rotation pattern. I have two pairs of of Asics Kayano 13's and a pair of GT-2120's that I rotate between (though one of the Kayano's is a little long in the tooth and is not being used so much). Anywho, the thinking is that by giving the shoes a day off, the insoles have more time to rebound to their original state. The upshot is shoes that last longer and seem fresher (cushion-wise).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I've heard the reasons, and I've tried it way in the past, but I never noticed any perceivable difference when it comes to longevity. May not be as offensive odor-wise, but I don't much care about that.
                        Scout7

02/15/08 OK, so, I think I need to find a race to run or something soon. I was running along, comfortable pace, enjoying it, when I saw someone running up ahead in the distance. The competitive side kicked in, and I went into "pursuit" mode. After she turned off my route (just before I caught her....damnit), I started to settle back down. Then I see someone on a bike, spinning slowly up a hill. *Click*... I start pursuing up the hill... Eventually, I end up on the bike path, with lots of women walking in groups and walking their dogs. And a woman running in the same direction as me, a little over 2/10 of a mile ahead. *Click*. I end up doing 3 of the last 4 at sub-7 pace. Mile 6 was almost entirely uphill, and was under 7:30. Yeah, it was probably dumb, but hey. Sometimes we do dumb stuff. I'm gonna feel it tomorrow and Sunday, that's certain.

Yeah, it was probably dumb, but hey. Sometimes we do dumb stuff. I'm gonna feel it tomorrow and Sunday, that's certain.
                            Sounds like a fun fartlek session to me.

Run to Win

Scout7

Yeah, it was just unplanned.
                              Scout7

2/19/08 Well, last week just ended up being weak. So it goes, sometimes. I won points with the wife, and that can be important in the long run. The last two days have just been good, hard efforts. Yesterday was nice and steady in gorgeous weather. Today was just a hard effort. I know, I know, I need to slow down. But hey, sometimes you just run what you feel. Today, I felt like running hard.