RA Coaching Forum

Muse Runner's Marathon Madness (Read 725 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Guys, T-2 weeks until the official start of the base period of my marathon plan. I'm pre-base building which is good since my program is going to kick my ass just in the base period. Tongue Overall, my 10k training was just OK. The schedule was rough on me but that's because I ran it harder than the schedule suggested. Meaning, I refused to take days off I should have. For the marathon I am sticking to the schedule and the advice of my coach. That said, next week is a recovery week. I'll get behind the PB but who cares, I'll feel much better!
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
    btb1490

Hi, When is your marathon? How long will your base building phase be? What does your actual marathon program look like? I'm kinda new around here, so forgive me if you've talked about this stuff elsewhere and I missed it. It's easy to get yourself dug into a hole by going "just a little farther" or "just a little faster" than you are supposed to do in a marathon training program. The result is usually fatigue or injury, resulting in missed workouts. Sticking to the plan is a great idea! Sounds like you're off to a good start by listening to your body and taking a recovery week next week. Good luck!
      muse_runner

keep running.

Hey! I'm following 18/55 by Pfitz. However, when humanly possible, I will discuss options to modify the program by the guidance of my coach. He is wise when it comes to recovery periods and stuff. I'm not that good at modifying programs as I tend to OD and then crash. You are right, so easy to push just a little more and a little more. Though, I ran my best race being rested physically. I'm aiming for CIM. I want a BQing time. If it doesn't work out at CIM I'll try the Pac Shoreline marathon in Feb. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to go trail running. Road races are fun but there's much more variety I want to experience in case I get hung up on not BQing. Anyhow... yes SMART running and recovery is the name this time. I am already totally comfortable with running slower miles. It used to bother me a lot but now I could care less. On days where my body wants to go faster, I enjoy those! I saw your PR's...VERY nice... wowzas
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
        muse_runner

keep running.

I start next Monday! Shocked I will be doing a lot of methodical running. Very exciting stuff! The monkey wrench begins to torque around 4 weeks into the program. Hell begins 11 weeks out and lasts until week 15. Then from there it's taper, wine, and resting of the footsies. Here's to a good marathon training program!
            Good luck and good running to you, Muse! I just started hell week on the same Pfitz plan you are on. I'm a lot newer to running than you - so I plan to chop some of the short recovery runs to reduce mileage when needed.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

muse_runner

keep running.

Oh I was on that plan last year my friend... let me tell you this: TONS of modifications. I had to! I seriously could not hang with the program. I am doubting whether I can hang now too. But one day at a time I guess! Big grin
              btb1490

Hell begins 11 weeks out and lasts until week 15.
                Runner's World did an article last fall during that time period, they called those the "Monster Weeks", and gave tips on how to survive it. I'll bet you do fine, as long as you keep your easy days truly easy to let your body recover. I'm not saying it will be easy to do, just possible. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, right?
                muse_runner

keep running.

True! I am trying to do as little running as possible before the training starts next week. And yes, I am taking recovery VERY seriously. I know what's up with it. I learned SO much last year during marathon training. It changed me so much actually. I owe a ton to my coach. I went from a 2:11 first half-marathon in Jan 06 to a 1:46 half marathon in May 07 Smile Here's to more PR's and mental toughness! thanks for the support!
                  muse_runner

keep running.

Things are plodding along here. It's gonna be pretty easy for me until week 3 or week 4 who knows though. all in time!
                    btb1490

Plodding is good. It means you are out there. Enjoy this time now while you have it!
                      muse_runner

keep running.

Yes yes, my last training cycle was tough! I was just looking at it. No wonder I PR'd. I could barely hack the schedule. I am enjoying a schedule I CAN do versus one that I struggle to do. What a difference!! Big grin thanks for the support. I enjoy your log btw... very very nice and poetic
                          enjoy the relaxing while you can! Oh and don't be a stranger, I like reading how your training is going!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Hot Mama! Guess what? the abs are totally coming along. I finally figured out the secret to leanness and I am so super psyched. Smile The best part is that it involves me feeling more energy and stronger than ever! Training is going well. I have a lot of 4 day a weekers in the beginning, which normally would stress out my OCD brain but you have to realize I have an extra bone growing on one of my metatarsals and it was recommended that I get surgery to remove the bone to relieve the pain. Since I was told that about 3 weeks before marathon training and I didn't do anything to take care of it, I will have to wait until after Boston (if it happens). The long and short of it is that I am forced to take a smarter relaxed approach to my schedule which means I fully adhere to it. Last year I did more recovery running than I should have and less longer running. This year I'm doing stuff to the book and my XTing is swiming. I feel amazing after a pool workout!!! thanks for asking about me!! I need to visit you. Smile
                              T-2 weeks until the official start of the base period of my marathon plan. I'm pre-base building which is good since my program is going to kick my ass just in the base period. Tongue
                              Big grin Okay, so I read that and thought, You know you're a runner when you train to start training for a marathon. I do the same thing, but it was funny anyway! After 2 weeks off due to injury, I am slowly coming back. I'm hoping for CIM but I might have to get rid of my BQ goals. At this point I'll be lucky just to be ready for the race. I might do CIM as a training run for Pac Shore. Here's hoping we both get to see that 3:39:XX on the finish line clock at CIM! Tongue
                              "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                              muse_runner

keep running.

Callie, I'm running on an injury. I knew I would be going into marathon training. The bummer for me is that I am totally aerobically fit and ready for a 3:39:Xx. I believe in that! However, my right foot HATES me. So we'll see how I can handle a long long run. If that's the case girl, we'll do Pac Shoreline together OK? I'll need support so badly and so will you. Deal? Are you still doing HR training? I get hyperfocused on my HR's when I am marathon training. Something about all of those miles putting stress on my heart makes me very willing to closely monitor my HR. I won't go anywhere without my HRM now! I used to not use it a few days a week in base training but now I am hooked on it.