RA Coaching Forum

mikeymike's quixotic quest (Read 854 times)

mikeymike

By popular demand, I am starting a thread to chronicle my attempt to return to the pre-meltdown form I had in 2004, and then go beyond that. I call it my quixotic quest because I harbor no illusions about the importance of what I'm doing. This is just for fun. This is far from the most important thing in my life--if it were, I really would be crazy since it's well established that I don't have a lot of talent for this. But running is certainly my most important hobby. Background: 37 y.o. male, running on and off since age 14. Track in H.S. (400, 800). Didn't run in College. Started running road races at age 30. PR's: 400 - 53.7 (1987) 800 - 2:03 (1987) mile - 4:48 (1987) 5K - 17:00 (2004) 10K - 35:24 (2004) 13.1 - 1:17:56 (2004) 26.2 - 2:57:46 (2002) In late 2004 life threw some hurdles at me and I took a break. I did very little running and no racing for all of 2005 and the first half of 2006. Then I started training again, pretty much from scratch. On June 1, 2006, I was 175 lbs. and I couldn't run 1 mile in 6:30. After 5.5 months of 50 mpw base, I was 156 lbs. and ran 18:14 for 5K in October and 1:25:31 for HM in November. More recently, after another 4+ months of 50-60 mpw, I ran 1:23:33 for HM. Right now, I'm trying to stay in the 60 mpw range and I've just started to do some sharpening workouts so that I can see where I'm at in some 5K-10K races this spring before turning my attention this summer to a fall marathon. I want to see how close I am to my 2004 fitness and then take it from there. I don't have a specific time goal for 5k, 8k, and 10k yet. My only real time goal for 2006 is to run a Marathon PR in October. I'm not really sure yet how realistic that is, but that feels like a challenging yet somewhat realistic number to shoot for. And if I do better my PR there's a good chance I'll end up in the 1st coral at Boston '08, which would be nice. I'll post summaries of my last few weeks and then from here on out, I'll post my training weekly. Questions, comments and advice welcome.

Runners run

Prophet!

After 5.5 months of 50 mpw base, I was 156 lbs. and ran 18:14 for 5K in October and 1:25:31 for HM in November. More recently, after another 4+ months of 50-60 mpw, I ran 1:23:33 for HM.
      Excellent! Will be checking this chronicle religiously. In your first 50 mpw base what sort of schedule were you running ? Were you running everyday then ? Curious as I"m trying to get up to that for the summer before marathon training starts in September..
      mikeymike

Week beginning 3/19/07 -- 60 miles in 7 runs. Key workout # 1 -- 14-mile long run at easy/medium pace to work Key workout # 2 -- 13 miles on the roads including a 7-mile progression run from 7:05 down to 6:03 pace. Also did strides during 2 easy runs. Week beginning 3/26/07 -- 54 miles in 6 runs. Key workout #1 -- 14-mile long run at moderate pace with a bit of a progression. key workout #2 -- 13 including 8 x 400 @ 3k pace Did strides 2x. Week beginning 4/2/07 -- 60 miles in 7 runs. Key workout #1 -- 14 mile long run at an easy pace (not fully recovered from Sunday's 400s) Key workout #2 -- 13 including 6 x 1000m at ~10k with 200m jogs, 4 miles easy, then 4 x 30 seconds FAST Did strides 2x.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

Wow Mike... I'm totally impressed! I gotta hurry-type this 'cause who knows when the boss will come in.... eeeekkk. Anyhow, I'm very happy to see that you've progressed beyond your silly track circles. I mean, you ran a 5k in amazing time but didn't stop there. Then a 10k, then a half-marathon... then an insanely fast marathon. What kind of mileage were you running as a kid? Why did you pick 50-60 miles a week as the magic number? I ask for some hedonistic reasons ... Roll eyes I gotta respect you for owning the boobie board too. I guess I didn't realize when you started and what your deal was. I want to see race pics too, if you have any! Smile Did you hold off on racing until after the base period or did you do any timed trials at least? Or did you just let the fitness ferment and become like good beer before testing it out? Love the key workouts. I have no idea where you learn this stuff but it's darn cool. Wink awesome log! 10/10 Smile
          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Why is it sideways?

Awesome, Mike. Looking forward to this. Pretty solid high school times, there. Just curious--what was your high school program like?
            muse_runner

keep running.

So you've been road racing for 7 years.... What kind of ebb and flow have you noticed about your training?
              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
              mikeymike

Excellent! Will be checking this chronicle religiously. In your first 50 mpw base what sort of schedule were you running ? Were you running everyday then ? Curious as I"m trying to get up to that for the summer before marathon training starts in September..
                Yes, once I ramped up to about 50 and got used to that workload I was pretty much running every day. A typical week toward the end of last summer looked like this: Mon - 6 EZ Tues - 7 EZ with strides Wed - 9 with 8 x 2 min hard / 1 min easy Thu - 6 EZ Fri - 7 EZ with strides Sat - 6 EZ Sun - 13 with a progression or 3 x 8 min at tempo or something

Runners run

mikeymike

What kind of mileage were you running as a kid? Why did you pick 50-60 miles a week as the magic number?
                  50-60 because I knew from past experience that I could handle that well and fit it into my work/life schedule by doing most of it in the early a.m. I would run more if I had time. I didn't run much mileage as a kid. I never ran XC, played football so during track we ran maybe 30 mpw. During the summers I probably ran 25-30 mpw on my own to stay in shape for football and track.
                  Did you hold off on racing until after the base period or did you do any timed trials at least? Or did you just let the fitness ferment and become like good beer before testing it out?
                  Well I basically consider everything I've done up until now "base period." I figured I'd need most of year of pure mileage just to get near where I was in 04. I could sort of tell where I was fitnesswise from the runs, but I did those 2 races in the fall and the Half in March as fitness tests. That was it. No time trials or anything.
                  Love the key workouts. I have no idea where you learn this stuff but it's darn cool. Wink awesome log! 10/10 Smile
                  I invented none of it. I got the "key workouts" way of organizing my weeks from Pfitzinger's book, RRSR. I got a lot of the workouts from communicating with coaches/runners on message boards--Joe Rubio who hangs out on letsrun sometimes is where I got all the 3k pace stuff from and how to do those and when. There was Kevin Beck, who used to write for Running Times. I had the opportunity to work with Bill Squires for a summer in 03. I also used to work out with a few good runners/coaches in 04. One guy, Steve Burton, was the coach of the Somerville Road Runners a good runner and he became my de-facto coach for the spring in 04. Unfortunately he passed away last year. He was one of my favorite people in the New England running scene. I just learned what I could and learned form trial and error what worked for me. Believe me all of this is plagarized by people much more experienced and in many cases faster and more accomplished than me.

Runners run

mikeymike

Awesome, Mike. Looking forward to this. Pretty solid high school times, there. Just curious--what was your high school program like?
                    Thanks! My high school program was pretty stacked. We went 30 years without losing a dual meet (I was there for years 14-17 of "The Streak.") We won our State class meet twice while I was there and won the state relays all 4 years, indoor and outdoor. I was a solid varsity runner but nothing special--probably 4th or 5th fastes on my team at 800 and maybe 7th or 8th at 400. I only ran the mile twice in dual meets where my coach knew we wouuld win by 50 points and just put a bunch of guys in different events for training. Both times I ran the mile I won by a large margin against weak teams and a bunch of underclassmen from my own team. So that PR is probably soft... Modified to add: And another thing...all my H.S. PR's are from my Junior year b/c I was injured most of my senior year.

Runners run

mikeymike

So you've been road racing for 7 years.... What kind of ebb and flow have you noticed about your training?
                      From 2000-2004 was a pretty steady progression of learning, adding mileage getting smarter. I hit plateaus a few times and didn't make much progress but never went backwards during that time. Then from the end of 04 to June of 06 I basically stepped away from the sport. So now I'm 10 months into starting over.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Modified to add: And another thing...all my H.S. PR's are from my Junior year b/c I was injured most of my senior year.
                        Interesting... those times are right on what I ran my junior year in HS. My mile was a bit faster, but like you say, a 2:03 translates to 4:3x in the right circumstances. I dunno what that means, except to say that I don't think it's a bad thing to be thinking under 2:57 this October.
                        muse_runner

keep running.

Wow... I think I'm going to read the MikeyMike Q&A a lot for mojo-age. You're certainly inspirational. Hot damn... I think you have done awesomely from fast twitch to organized, planned workouts. No wonder I seem to take a particular liking to you. I pretty much adore Pftizy and the RT contributors. I learned about that stuff from a nice nice friend who taught me how to modify Pfitz's schedules and stuff. My friend is an amazing runner and has a great perspective on running... he did Western States last year, is running Miwok right after the Boston Marathon this year goes to show ya... Shocked. Anyhow, Pfitz's RRFR is awesome I also have AM Wink to be acronymically flowing there... haha crap boss is coming... beautiful history... nice perspective... i like it. keeps you humble and future-oriented. i like to think of constant base building too. i did read in something... maybe it was RT mag that over 70 miles a week is really "if you can handle it" sort of a thing.... what do you think mikey?
                          mikeymike

Anyhow, I'm very happy to see that you've progressed beyond your silly track circles. I mean, you ran a 5k in amazing time but didn't stop there. Then a 10k, then a half-marathon... then an insanely fast marathon.
                            Actually you got it all backwards. I ran track in H.S (I also ran a couple of road races back then and quite probably ran a 5K faster than 17 min, I don't honestly remember, but that's not important now.) Then my next race was a marathon like 12 years later. Then my next race after that was a marathon a year and a half later. Then I started running 5K's etc and actually learned how to train. It just looks neat and planned out when I summarize like above. Smile Believe me, I made ALL the mistakes everyone always cautions new runners against. Some of them I'm glad I did. And I loved the track. Another goal for this year is to race on the track again.

Runners run

mikeymike

Regarding over 70 mpw, I think that is probably the point of significantly diminished returns for most recreational racers. Everyone's limit is probably a bit different. I will say I saw a huge bump in fitness the few times I went into the 80's. So the returns may be diminished but there are returns. 70 is also the point at which you really need to start doing doubles so that's the limit for a lot of regular people with jobs and responsibilities for purely practical reasons.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

70 miles a week.... yeah my mom is insane... She does 2 workouts a day... I'd never do doubles. It's a whole routine for me. Get up, eat, run, shower. The shower closes the deal. It's like a beautiful full circle. Sweat during the run, wake up during the run, refresh with a hot shower. Done. Doing that two times a day just reopens the circle and you can't open the circle again until the next day 'cause that's how it's supposed to be. Wink I'm typing this thinking of Seinfeld saying "once you close the circle you just can't open it again." hehe How are you feeling today? I gotta see if you ran yet. Probably! Any big plans for the Saturday run?