RA Coaching Forum

Fall and Winter training and racing (Read 259 times)

Hi everyone. Just going to throw my plan out there, feel free to throw out your plan, or to comment on mine.

I've completed my goal race for the year, with a very successful race. Now I'm thinking about my next phase in my quest to get faster.

Talking to the coach of the track team I do a few workouts with, he talked me out of doing a fall marathon, figuring I should do a speed phase. I'm starting to agree with him after I look at my race times and my training history.

Race times, the half I just ran finally makes the mcmillan projections work right from 800m to half marathon. I think that tells me I need to get some speed before I'm going to make any more big improvements in longer races.

Training wise, I injured my hip in May 2008, which wasn't really right until this spring, and then sprained my ankle early this summer. Both injuries from soccer, not training injuries. What they mean though, is that I havn't really done any speedwork at all in more than a year and a half.

So, the plan is, I start doing workouts with the group of guys around that are slightly faster than me, run a couple 800 - 3000m races in indoor track over the winter while keeping my long run around 20km. Weekly distance 60-90km.

Thanks,

Craig

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I responded to your same question on the main board.  I've been thinking about it, and perhaps you may want to do a Winter of Malmo, based, of course, on the Summer of Malmo plan.  Food for thought.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Yea, I posted it here first, then realized there was almost no traffic in here.

Good thought, thanks.