Trailer Trash

this ain't no bromance (Read 23 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Well I guess you could call it a threesome, but that doesn't sound quite right either 

Regardless, Tim (AT runner) and his better half, Jess, were on their way to Portland to deliver a car to their daughter and we thought it would be nice to get together for an outing on their way out.  The original plan was for a run in Glacier, but the fire and then the snow put an end to that plan.  I had a couple of backup plans (Crazy Mountains or the Elkhorn Mountains), but those plans went away after this weekend when I found out that the Elkhorns had over two feet of snow and that the Crazies weren't far behind.  So we went to plan D, which was a run locally here.

I put together a little loop that included a summit of Mt Helena.  The weather forecast was a little iffy, but while on the cool side, we didn't get any rain/sleet/snow- actually pretty nice running weather.  Mt Helena- Tim made me smile 

It's a pretty steep climb to the summit and what goes up, must come down- Tim's knee was a little cranky on the downhill, but it soon leveled out for the most part and we enjoyed running the ridge out for several miles.   The ridge offers up some nice views and is a nice mix of timber and open meadows.  It's also holds a fair number of elk and deer, but we didn't see any on this outing (we did find a few large predator tracks- lion and black bear).  When we headed off the ridge the timber thickened and we got into snow more frequently.

Tim kicking it.

Jess kicking it

Tim kicking it some more 

When we got down to Grizzly Gulch we decided to take in Wakina Sky ridge, but that meant another long climb and of course another long downhill for Tim's knee.  The descent off of Wakina Sky was a little more gradual than off of Mt Helena, so a little better for Tim's knee.

Once off Wakina Sky we crossed Grizzly Gulch for one last climb where we would rejoin our original route and back to the truck.  Jess took a pretty bad spill in this last stretch and said Montana rocks were as hard as Pennsylvania ones- ouch!

Our route ended being just under 14 miles with close to 3000' gain, not too shabby of a run 

Well it was past morning when we were done (although we now know that wouldn't stop LB2 ) so we decided a beer and a bite to eat were in order.  We sampled a couple of local brews and some gourmet pizza.  A great way to end a great outing.

It was really nice to finally meet Tim and Jess, hoping we can cross paths again for another run.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Your plan D is better than most of our plan A's so...

And the picture Tim posted on FB was better for getting you to smile.  

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tim said he normally smiles in all photos, but it must be something about Montana made him frown- so it's not my fault 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

That was my Warden face.

Fun morning and early afternoon!

You forgot to mention that Tiny Elvis warmed up nicely to us Pennsvanian folks. (after we threw the ball 100 times).

Knee was sore on the drive to Core D'alene, but we bought some local brews,  for medicinal reasons,  and tomorrow is another day.  That was my longest run since my injury, and only second hill run since doctor said I could try some hills. Don't think Mt. Helena was what he meant. 

Thanks for showing off your trails.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Looks like fun.

LB2

runtraildc

Fun day!  and thanks for the pics.

Sandy-2

Looks great !!!

(What I'd give for some of that snow... it was 81 deg here this morning.)

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

That was my Warden face.

Fun morning and early afternoon!

You forgot to mention that Tiny Elvis warmed up nicely to us Pennsvanian folks. (after we threw the ball 100 times).

Knee was sore on the drive to Core D'alene, but we bought some local brews,  for medicinal reasons,  and tomorrow is another day.  That was my longest run since my injury, and only second hill run since doctor said I could try some hills. Don't think Mt. Helena was what he meant. 

Thanks for showing off your trails.

It's always the doctors who have a hard time following doctor's orders!!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sorry it didn't work out for Glacier but there's a lot of beautiful areas not included in the national park. I'm sure Mike was a great guide.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

It's always the doctors who have a hard time following doctor's orders!!!

You got that right.

Great pics and nice run!  Laughing at AT doing the Mt Warden face.

Hopefully the snow has helped with the fires and air quality?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I've threesome with those two and it was a lot of fun!!!  Did Tim give Warden a hug for me. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

yup big hug; not exactly sure what the slap on the ass was though- must be a PA thing???

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

He's a doctor...checking you prostate? 

yup big hug; not exactly sure what the slap on the ass was though- must be a PA thing???

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Sue said slap the ass, but you know how she is with typos.