Trailer Trash

Tempestuous Tuesdailies (Read 20 times)

Daydreamer1

Ok, so maybe Tempestuous is a overstatement but it is rather blustery around here today. Yesterday's wind was miserable at times and today it's almost as bad. I had planned on 11+ miles up on the mountain today. The problem is that whenever we get this strong of winds there are always a lot of sizable branches on the trail afterwards.  Stuff that's big enough to not only hurt if they hit you, but maim as well. Not sure if I want to chance it or just put in some time on the trainer.  Right now I'm painting the bathroom ceiling so I won't get out until about 3. Maybe the wind will cam down by then.

QOTD:  What the worst weather conditions you've ever run, biked or hiked in?

When it comes to running, I'm kind of a wimp. I've been out in 20-30 miles winds, but not in the woods. I have run right after a hurricane when the trails were muddy and at places had 8-10 inches of running water and 2 feet of standing water to wade through.  I used to be hard core with my biking. I'd ride through thunder storms, temps in the 10-15 degree range with 20 mph winds, on ice, through snow, there wasn't much I wouldn't ride in. One year we had a very windy March and I was riding in wind with 40 mph gusts.  I won't go running in that weather though, unless it's a race.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

very windy here today as well, supposed to bring in some rain/snow so that's good (if it actually shows up)

going to try and get 5-ish in after work

qotd: I'm not sure what's the worst; between work and play I've been in so much miserable weather hard to choose   My least favorite weather, and probably most dangerous, is wind & rain just above freezing- exactly what's on tap for this afternoon!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I never rain yesterday the temperature dropped and it was sleeting so I blew it off.  Ok so the sun was out after work but it was still cold.   and my husband was going to Portland today so I wanted to spend some time with him.  Is that enough excuses?

Today: After work run with the dogs. I will get it done since the old man will be gone.  Probably 7.

QOTD:  Only two things come to mind.  I was hiking in Bryce down in a canyon when lighting hit the cliffs above us.  It scared the shit out of us and then sent a small amount of rocks crashing down.  The other time  was at Rockies National Park.  We hiked up into the mountains when a thunderstorm moved in.  Being on top it was scary seeing those dark clouds and being so open...nothing happened except for being pelted with hail.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Hey Dreamer... yeah the wind east of you is crazy too. I stuck to the road yesterday because of the afternoon gusts. Ran a total 13 miles with a 9/4 double. I am hoping the wind lessens this evening as I have plans to run over at Green Lane with the Lady. I'll plan to run the north side (more fields and meadows, less thick woods) I think. Looking for 8-9 miles.

QOTD: I've done some training runs in mild Noreaster's, cold rain, or snow. Snow is better than cold (35 degrees) and rain, but clearly the worst weather I've had was for my first 100 miler at Massanutten. A pretty powerful spring cold front blew through around mile 35 of my race, with  heavy rain and lightening. It calmed down for a few hours, then 20 miles later the weather really got bad. So much heavy rain that the trails turned to creeks, and I don't recall exactly when the rain stopped. Maybe sometime at night, around mile 75 or 80. I remember coming into Gap Creek at mile 65, it was dark, and you could see the rain coming down in the aid station lights and the whole scene just looked very grim and surreal. Still, I had a few quesadillas, picked up pacer, and went on my way.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes due to this wind you spoke of I hit the gym last night instead of running outside.  It wasn't cold but windy weather is one of my least favs.  Might try again tonight, I think the wind will die down - I think.

Just got back from my oldest DS orthodontist consult.  $5310 to get the kid's teeth straightened.  If it was merely cosmetic, I would probably saw screw it but it looks like there are more issues with alignment that when not fixed could cause some issues later in life.  So we will bite the bullet.

QOTD: I don't know I have run in horrible weather but a couple of interesting runs being caught in downpours was rather adventurous.  As XT said, the trails tend to turn to rivers in a hurry.  I do remember a few years ago hitting the trail towards the end of winter during a pretty high wind event.  The trees were creaking like crazy.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Just got back from my oldest DS orthodontist consult.  $5310 to get the kid's teeth straightened.  If it was merely cosmetic, I would probably saw screw it but it looks like there are more issues with alignment that when not fixed could cause some issues later in life.  So we will bite the bullet.

DW grew up with horrible teeth. Her parents didn't have the money to get her braces and by the time she was in her mid 20's she was having a lot problems.  Ended up getting major oral surgery to correct every thing. She spent well over 10K and that was in 1990 dollars. Had to crack her upper jaw and remove some teeth while repositioning others.  Ended up in braces for at least 3-4 years after that.   Since then it's been a steady routine of dental work. I wouldn't be surprised if she has 30K plus of dental work.

NorthernHarrier

Taking the day off from running but will hop on the bike shortly for an hour ride at an early season moderate pace. A little breezy here but still an awful nice day. We have bad weather coming the next few days but I'm hopeful it won't interfere with too much.  The lawns around here are already green and growing, be mowing soon I'm thinking.

Jamie--Of course you bite the bullet and fix the kids teeth even if it were just cosmetic. Times are different today. All the kids need the perfect teeth and we the parents foot the bill otherwise your kid will be ostracized, hate his parents later in life, spend thousands on his teeth later himself, and years in therapy because he was mistreated. Not to mention he won't be able to get a good job or girlfriend because he looks like an in-bred hillbilly.    Of course my parents spent the money on my sisters but as usual ignored their son.  But I have no anger....

QOTD--In the days before the internet could give up to the minute weather and before hand held gps's were out there I became very "confused" for a few hours while running in the Sylvania wilderness on a late fall day when a freak blizzard rolled in obliterating the trail, markers, and with zero visibility, I had a map and compass but with no visibility could not really orientate myself to the map. By using just the compass to try to head out I kept bumping into good sized bodies of water. At one point I was out on a large peninsula almost totally surrounded by water.     Another time on the bike portion of a triathlon had a severe storm roll in pounding me with hail. Awesome sound as those marbles are hitting your helmet and then trying to ride on said marbles. Good times!

Edit--saw it was a DS.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Jamie the first thing that came to my mind was my friend Tim who was bitter that his parents spent the money to fix his sisters teeth and not his because he was a boy.  $5,000 is a lot of money but just make the payments.  He may never thank you but if you don't do it you will never hear the end of it.   Look Northern is an old man and he still can't get iver it.  

Jamie--Of course you bite the bullet and fix the kids teeth even if it were just cosmetic. Times are different today. All the kids need the perfect teeth and we the parents foot the bill otherwise your kid will be ostracized, hate his parents later in life, spend thousands on his teeth later himself, and years in therapy because he was mistreated. Not to mention he won't be able to get a good job or girlfriend because he looks like an in-bred hillbilly.    Of course my parents spent the money on my sisters but as usual ignored their son.  But I have no anger....

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Quick drive by today, got off work early and did 10 miles. A good run, but a little crowded on the hike/bike path because the cherry blossoms are out.

Qotd: ran a few hours before a hurricane, dark, windy, rainy and ominous.

tbd.