Trailer Trash

Maniac Monday (Read 20 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

It's Monday and well, I haven't run yet.  Something of course tonight.  Legs hurt though.  Saturday the fam and I hit D.C. (runtraildc - I should have asked for some suggestions) and had a great time.  LOTS of walking.  It was the first time for everyone (except me) being there so we hit some of the normal stuff (Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, a couple of museums).  At one point later in the day, I said to DW "Let's just chill out on the lawn at the National Mall" so we did.  That was perhaps the best of the day - just sitting/laying on a beautiful day.  We took the metro in which was another first for DW and kids. Fun times.

QOTD: Have any memories when you were a kid of your family taking you to new places?

As a kid we did a lot of camping, tubing down rivers, etc.  But it was the trips into Boston (we grew up in MA) that I remember and loved.  We're not city folk so it was always interesting to watch how city folk functioned in what I thought was "chaos".

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  Some yard work tonight if rain lets up. Otherwise, the weeds can wait.

Jaime - DW and I had many dates on the Mall in DC.  Was always nice and free.  Sitting on the lawn by the reflecting pool is one of our favorite thins to do in the city. When friends come in to the area and want to see DC, we go in with them and drop them off at Air and Space and then we hit some small museum or gallery and sit and relax and eat vendor food.

QOTD:  We were regular Ocean City MD people.  My dad and his brothers had a place there, so that's where we went every year.  I do remember a trip to Montreal when my dad was getting an sales award from work.  We toured the city and saw an Expo's game against the Reds.  I got a foul ball from Johnny Bench. My brother and I played with that ball, so no idea where it is now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

SRD today.  Some yard work tonight if rain lets up. Otherwise, the weeds can wait.

Jaime - DW and I had many dates on the Mall in DC.  Was always nice and free.  Sitting on the lawn by the reflecting pool is one of our favorite thins to do in the city. When friends com in to the area and want to see DC, we go in with them and drop them off at Air and Space and then we hit some small museum or gallery and sit and relax and eat vendor food.

QOTD:  We were regular Ocean City MD people.  My dad and his brothers had a place there, so that's where we went every year.  I do remember a trip to Montreal when my dad was getting an sales award from work.  We toured the city and saw an Expo's game against the Reds.  I got a foul ball from Johnny Bench. My brother and I played with that ball, so no idea where it is now.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

SRD. I am trying to keep on my plan as closely as I can. I think changing to time over mileage is going to be a much better way to do things for me. Counting miles is stressful. I'll have to swap Thursday and Friday again this week, but I like having some flexibility.

QOTD: Yes. I remember trips to the mountains. We didn't take a ton of trips to the mountains, but we took enough that I truly grew fond of them. I couldn't imagine mountains being any bigger than the Smoky's. Then, I went to the Sierra Nevada's when I was in the Marines. I got a complete dose of everything they had to offer in the winter.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Possible t-storms for this afternoon when I normally run, so my plans may change at the last minute.

qotd: I don't really remember much in the way of family outings as far as us kids and our parents. When we visited my grandparents in southern Illinois, they took us to a lot of state parks and areas like Garden of the Gods in Shawnee National Forest. One memorable trip we went to Cave-in-Rock SP where one of the Davy Crockett films was set, then had my first taste of breaded and fried catfish fresh caught from the Ohio River.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

Rest day today from running, heck perhaps a rest week. Need to get these legs to freshen up.

This weekend did a run on the Mason Dixon trail point to point from Connewego Dam to Cold Cabin... 17 or 18 miles. Start in MD, finish in PA. A bit longer than I had planned but we slacked/walked/hiked a lot. Some pretty tricky trail here but also a lot of paved/dirt road section on this part of the MD trail. As usual plenty of nice views of the Susquehanna from up high though it's more of a lake here because of the dams.

QOTD: We did some trips with my grandparents when I was young... Niagra Falls, New York City. Those trips stick out because we stayed in hotels with pools. I remember the holiday inn in NYC, the pool was on the roof. So cool, at least as a kid. My dad also had a cabin cruiser and later a houseboat and we did several summer vacations on the islands of Lake Erie (Kellys, South Bass) including stops at Cedar Point (stayed at the Marina overnight) which was way cool.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

muppy

5.2 trailer miles yesterday.

QOTD I remember a lot of camping,  canoeing and hiking. What really sticks out was a two week trip to Alabama to visit my aunt, with six people in a station wagon and all our luggage.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm alive   Made it out of the Bob on Tuesday, 115 tough miles. A record 18 folks showed up, only half that many made it (several first timers, not the best one to jump in on).

Got a couple of 5-ish mile hikes in over the weekend, going to try and run after work- nice and easy.

qotd: we used to camp in the Adirondacks when I was a kid, loved that place- still need to get back there

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Really need to get in a a good run today but for some reason both of my ankles are really stiff and sore .   Probably end up doing 5-6 miles, some with DW unless we decide to head out on the bikes.

Warden - Welcome back to civilization. Seen you made it out but when you didn't post I started searching the hospitals to see if you were recovering in one of those .  just kidding.

QOTD:  When I was growing up in Southern Maryland there were several old guys around who had never left Saint Mary's county unless they strayed into Virginia waters while on the Potomac.  80-90 years of living within 10 miles of where they were born.  My mother would have been almost that bad if she could have been.  No desire to travel at all.  We would go to PA once a year for 2 days to see a few relatives but that was about it. I remember one time we did go to Skyline Drive for a day. That was the only time I was outside of either Maryland or PA in the first 15 years of my life. Then I started going deep sea fishing in NJ with DW's family.   It wasn't until I started driving truck that I really got around.  I was determined that if I ever had kids they would travel a lot more and we did.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So I have ran about 16 miles in my Hoka's...my heal feels pretty good but than it could be because I hadn't run Mon to Fri.  Ran Sat and Sun and doing OK.  Today is rest day (even though I haven't earned it) and jeep is back in shop for third time water pump as the manifold keeps leaking.  He said he bought a factory one instead of the off market so I hope we are done going there every other week!

QOTD:  My Dad was a school teacher so we went for a month long travel trip ever summer.  There were 5 kids and some times my Aunt Lou came.  Eight of us in a station wagon and one large Coleman tent in which the poles had color coded finger nail polish on them.    We each got a beer box for all our stuff clothes/toys.  We covered the beer boxes with contact paper so we knew who's were who's.  We went East, West and Canada.  My parents gave us a pretty good child hood.  My Dad also did summer school in Berkley and Arizona.  We actually lived in a dorm one year and my Mom was so happy to have 5 kids and get to eat in the Cafeteria every day.  No cooking!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

SRD for me today.  Good timing with the little popup thunderstorms we're having.

qotd:  we would all pile on to our sailboat and take it from where we lived on the south shore of Long Island, NY to the east end of the island; Montauk, Shelter Island, Block Island, also Connecticut (Mystic, etc.), one year I didn't go but they also went to Martha's Vineyard. It was just a slow bulky 30 foot ketch, but somehow we fit 6 on it ok.  I also remember when we'd all pile into the station wagon and drive in to NYC, I can still remember the impression I got when seeing the huge buildings for the first time. Great memories.

tbd.

jonferg67

Endless trails

SRD for today. Seem to be recovering just fine from my race yesterday.

I checked my results and I placed 8th, which might have been a big deal

except that the total number of HM runners was 16. Solid middle of the

pack!

QOTD: My dad took care of sport fishing boats in Fl so trips to Key West, Bahamas, Miami.

I made the trip from Ft Lauderdale to Falmouth, MA several time by boat. Good times. Lots

of camping in NH and ME too.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Interesting how you and Sandy did boat trips and you both ended up with careers in the ocean....while Sandy is on show but he does something with shipping.

SRD for today. Seem to be recovering just fine from my race yesterday.

I checked my results and I placed 8th, which might have been a big deal

except that the total number of HM runners was 16. Solid middle of the

pack!

QOTD: My dad took care of sport fishing boats in Fl so trips to Key West, Bahamas, Miami.

I made the trip from Ft Lauderdale to Falmouth, MA several time by boat. Good times. Lots

of camping in NH and ME too.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

jonferg67

Endless trails

Interesting how you and Sandy did boat trips and you both ended up with careers in the ocean....while Sandy is on show but he does something with shipping.

What a good memory, Sue. Yup, I could tie a bowline knot from a young age.

Sandy-2

What a good memory, Sue. Yup, I could tie a bowline knot from a young age.

Yup, me too.  Still can  .

tbd.