Trailer Trash

Found a new race Wednesday (Read 31 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looking like a rest day unless unless I get a late urge to run after dinner.

qotd: I've had mixed experiences with first year races. Not necessarily in order o importance, more in order of train of thought:

location: if not local is it a place I'd like to travel to for vacation

course difficulty: if a DNF is a likely possibility, I'll skip it regardless of how enticing it is otherwise

date: this could be several factors rolled into one including possible conflicts with other races, typical weather, and holidays

probable size of race field: unless it's a small loop, I'd like it to be big enough that I might see other runners during the race

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

moonlightrunner

I came home at lunch to pick up clothes to run after work...then...my mom called. She burned dinner, so I picked something up and brought it home. They are both struggling so....

On a brighter note...I'm ordering two pair of running shoes...I'm just trying to decide which ones.

QOTD: I like races to have something a little different. Something that makes it stand out.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

What's that course like? Runnable? Rocky? All straight up and down?

Yes AT summed it up nice.  The hills are not bad but anything that even seems like a hill later in that distance kinda sucks.  There are a couple of road hills which sucks even more.  The course reminds me of a high school cross country course except a lot longer.  So yes it is runnable.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

then...my mom called. She burned dinner, so I picked something up and brought it home. They are both struggling so....

Sorry to hear that. Six months ago I considered my parents to be "robust elderly".  Now they seem so frail and there has been a definite decline in mental ability.  I fear how things will be in their future.

GC100k

Yes AT summed it up nice.  The hills are not bad but anything that even seems like a hill later in that distance kinda sucks.  There are a couple of road hills which sucks even more.  The course reminds me of a high school cross country course except a lot longer.  So yes it is runnable.

Cool. Thanks. I'll put that on my radar for my first 50. Some of the other 50s around here look more challenging. If I bomb out on my first 50, I kinda want to know if it's the distance or the course, so I'd like the first one to be not so mountainous. Stone Mill says they have a hard cutoff of 13 hours, which would be tough for me, but last year's results have times for 64 runners over 13 hours, so I'm not sure what to thing about that cutoff.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Well the course is a lollipop course so you are running one section twice (the first few miles and then again in the last few miles.)  I mention that to say that I think they let most runners finish unless for some reason they are way out still.  It was my first 50 and is doable for most.  I ran it two more times after that.  Just remember that with a 6am start and at 13 hours, you are starting and ending in the dark.  But they have those miles well marked with reflective material - not to mention it starts and ends on road.

Since you run a lot on the AT in the Cumberland Valley area, that is perfect training conditions for it.  SM has really good aid stations and a good entry price.  And some of their volunteers are cool too (uh em - DC ).

Cool. Thanks. I'll put that on my radar for my first 50. Some of the other 50s around here look more challenging. If I bomb out on my first 50, I kinda want to know if it's the distance or the course, so I'd like the first one to be not so mountainous. Stone Mill says they have a hard cutoff of 13 hours, which would be tough for me, but last year's results have times for 64 runners over 13 hours, so I'm not sure what to thing about that cutoff.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Yes, the aid station at mile 17 (quince orchard) is the best, regardless of what you hear from other runners!

Well the course is a lollipop course so you are running one section twice (the first few miles and then again in the last few miles.)  I mention that to say that I think they let most runners finish unless for some reason they are way out still.  It was my first 50 and is doable for most.  I ran it two more times after that.  Just remember that with a 6am start and at 13 hours, you are starting and ending in the dark.  But they have those miles well marked with reflective material - not to mention it starts and ends on road.

Since you run a lot on the AT in the Cumberland Valley area, that is perfect training conditions for it.  SM has really good aid stations and a good entry price.  And some of their volunteers are cool too (uh em - DC ).