Trailer Trash

ThirstyThursdaily (Read 29 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bike to work, strength train this evening- have a really neat loop planned for this weekend, will entail a couple of miles of off trail and some scrambling, but if I can pull it off should be a dandy

qotd: favorite season?  fall for me, it's cooled off and weather is near perfect for running/hiking and oh, elk season gets kicked off too 

summer is quickly falling to the bottom of my list- damn global warming!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in 8 miles this morning.  Was gorgeous out at 58 degrees, low humidity.  Had some minor GI issues.  Hopefully it was isolated and does not start a trend.

We had a scare last night.  With the family out at a restaurant, my 10 yr old DS started acting like he was choking, clutching at his throat.  DW starts freaking out, "call 911, call 911".  I grab him and am ready to do the heimlich maneuver on him (knowing I might break a rib).  Then he went completely limp.  After a very short time he came to.  It all happened so fast, we never did call 911.  We think he may have had a minor seizure.  He was fine the rest of the evening but boy was that not a fun episode.

Sorry MTwarden for the heat.  I had no idea you guys out west had such a heat wave.  I see places in the 100's that do not usually get those temps.  That's crazy!  Oh and your off trail stuff sounds great.  Can't wait to hear about it.  Take some pics as usual.

QOTD: Fall - definitely.  I love the cooler temps (not freezing yet), change in colors.  One of my favorite runs in in mid to late fall with the leaves falling.  It also happens to be football season! 

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

6.6 hilly road miles.

Jamie, that's the worst feeling when that happens to a child, hope everything is ok with him!

QOTD  I would also say fall, you have the nice cool temperatures without the pollen, and I love  grabbing leaves as they fall through the air!

Daydreamer1

Planning on getting out for a short run, probably on my 4.5 mile loop. Maybe I'll warm up and do a genuine speed workout.  Just got home from work and I need to be back in again at 6 pm so it looks like I'll have just enough time for the run and a nap.

Warden - Your coming heat wave reminds me of 2003. We had a cool damp spring in my area. Then we drove to Alaska in late June through July. I was riding my bike on the trails along the pipeline north of Fairbanks and the temp was in the 90s, 20 degrees hotter then I had rode in all year. On the way home we stopped in at Seeley Lake MT for two days. They were having record breaking heat. Our cabins didn't have any A/C nor did any of the restaurants in town. The first day I rode up one of the roads into the mountains towards the Bob.  Even high up it was freakin sweltering.  The temp around the cabins was in triple digits during the day upper 70s at night. The second day we hiked back to a waterfall, maybe Morrell Falls if I remember correctly. Spent a bunch of time there since it was cooler.  Left there and headed to the Black Hills. Going through Sheridan WY the temp was 105. Got to the Black Hills and did some family riding on the Bob Mickelson  trail. Couldn't go far because the kids couldn't stand the triple digit temps.

Jamie - I'd ask him how he felt before and after the episode. Might be worthwhile mentioning to his Doctor.

QOTD: I'll have to go with fall. Cooler temps, less humidity.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice morning run here as well in much better temperatures.

Jamie - sounds like he had vasovagal syncope probably related to being scared about choking or losing his breath.  It's the bodies way of shutting down under stress (like when people pass out over seeing blood).  Ask him if he actually was choking on something or if he just had trouble breathing.  If he was confused or disoriented after "coming to", or wet himself, then it could have been a seizure.  If he was alert and wide awake, then syncope is most likely.  Worth mentioning it his pediatrician either way as syncope and seizures are 2 entirely different things.

Warden - sounds fun, I love exploring.

QOTD: Fall for me as well. Then Winter.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

A nice 5.8 this morning with the mutts...poor Jack was dragging in the end.  Even though it was morning it was warm and labs don't do to well in heat.

QOTD:  Spring...everything is green things are pooping out the woods are changing at a quicker pace and it's still fairly warm...I'm not much of a cold or rain runner.  Too many years living in CA.  I feel like the odd woman out...I like fall too in MI...that's why I like to visit the family in the fall.

Jaime:  Scary for sure...hope he is OK and it was a fluke and not something that is going to repeat itself.    I hope it was syncope!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

AT-runner - after some searching the net this morning, I am fairly certain that is what it was. Your description though, is by far the best I have seen.  We did talk to our pediatrician anyways and they pretty much agreed and said to just keep watch of him - bring him in if it happens again.

QoN -  You said pooping!

QOTD:  Spring...everything is green things are pooping out the woods are changing at a quicker pace and it's still fairly warm...I'm not much of a cold or rain runner.  Too many years living in CA.  I feel like the odd woman out...I like fall too in MI...that's why I like to visit the family in the fall.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Maybe I should poop proof read before posting!!!

AT-runner - after some searching the net this morning, I am fairly certain that is what it was. Your description though, is by far the best I have seen.  We did talk to our pediatrician anyways and they pretty much agreed and said to just keep watch of him - bring him in if it happens again.

QoN -  You said pooping!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I had a wonderful 10 mile run last evening, right into the sun sinking lower in the sky, warm and cozy, but not hot.

Then overslept this morning...

I'll head out later again today, but first have to accompany a co-worker to an apartment-showing in the afternoon. She picked up two very young feral baby kittens yesterday (they were found on a farm, and their mother has presumably died), so now she and her roommate won't be able to stay in their apartment with the pets. Good thing their lease is up soon anyway - and that commitment to the kittens is great!

Jamie: Very scary. I would have said syncope, too. My mom had that for a while, it occurred once every few months, for a year or two, then went away again. I hope your son is fine and it won't come back!

Queen: Don't trust autocorrect too much. Today, my DD felt very pressured when I asked her in a text message to check the cats' litter box, and when she responded it was ok, my phone sent "LOOK!" to her. I only had meant to write "OK", but that darn autocorrect had changed it. 

QOTD: You guys really have your preferences all messed up. Summer it is, yay! Love the heat, and if it's humid, oh well, I'll deal with it. Humidity is the only thing I need an A/C in the house for, otherwise I could totally do without it. I always fight with DH over the setting.

Just keep me cozy and warm, don't come with this "cold" thing, or "snow".

I can't wait for global warming to show more effect. In fact, I'm mad that this year, El Nino is messing up the weather everywhere. It is actually what's responsible for the lots of rain and cooler temperatures in the Northwest (and much of continental USA), and for the extreme temperatures in the West and Southwest. Maybe I should consider moving there, at least temporarily?

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

10.5 on local park trails today.. gorgeous and not *too* trashed by MTB. I'm off to run the local Corporate Challenge race this eve. There's a jeweler friend that gets a team together every year and we don't usually get scolded for not actually working there, so long as we don't run too well. This year I put myself down as their dentist.

Jamie: gosh I hate that feeling... almost like your heart stops. Glad to hear the doc wasn't too worried about him.

qotd: Nothing against fall, which is a solid second, but- SUMMER. C'mon! Summer around here is good, but summer in the Southwest is pretty great. I used to go out to visit a friend in Tucson for a week in July each year. I'd love to live out there... maybe when the kids are grown.

mta- ah, I see a theme developing here

DigDug2

7 this a.m. - weather has improved, nice and cool mornings and low humidity.

QOTD:  fall by far.  Summer is probably my least favorite, although I like living in a place that has four real seasons.

Occasional Runner

AT-runner

Tim

Good luck, Kelly.  Have a great race.

Don't get off course, and don't bust out with he leaders at the start (like you always say you shouldn't do in your RR's)  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Kelly....hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ looks like he is 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √