Trailer Trash

Thursdaily Drachma Drama (Read 33 times)

Sandy-2

Gosh I take a day off to travel to Greece and I thought I was on the Penthouse Forums or something (by the way do they still have the Penthouse Forums?) ......  anyway, nice story MT.

Gotta say the drama around here in Athens is all over the place, co-workers, taxi drivers, clients, etc.....   they are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Got up to run early today, at 6am it was only me and the nightclub dancers getting out of work on the streets.  I ran down the street and along the water, 10 miles total.  It was really hot though, I was slogging it on the way back.

I always say that the sidewalks in Athens are like running trails, they are so uneven, crumbling and have lose chunks that you have to watch every step or you could twist an ankle really easily. No zoning out here, except for some parts along the docks in the marinas where they dock their multi-million dollar mega-yachts.  Yeah this place has a lot of diverse things, people worrying about their paychecks, limits on their bank accounts, taxes, crumbling sidewalks, crumbling ancient ruins, gleaming buildings, gleaming museums, mega-yachts...  not to mention the little 'gypsy colony' where they sleep in tents, vans or under the stars located at the end of the street right next to the marina.

qotd: I got nothin'.

tbd.

LB2

Wow, Sandy, Athens sounds like the parish (county) where I live. Anyway, I ran 4.1 this morning in the dirt around the house. I'll do 2 to 4 more after work.

LB2

runtraildc

Picked a bowl of raspberries this morning instead of running.  I will get to yoga at lunch today as it's Thursday.

qotd:  If you could try out a job for a day, what would you do?  I always see the park maintenance folks driving those lawn mowers that can swerve around trees and obstacles on a dime.  I'd like to take one of those for a spin on a gorgeous, cool spring or fall day.  That or nascar driving.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So I was supposed to get out for a run this morning and could not get myself out of bed.  I am pretty sure my body needed the rest but I hate the feeling that I have the rest of the day of "I should have just run..."  But I will believe that my body was telling me I needed the extra rest.  Maybe if things work out I will make up the miles over the weekend.

mtwarden - yes great story about the Amazon women.  Are you gonna be running there anytime soon?!?

Sandy - I must be oblivious to the drama going on in Athens....actually I am usually oblivious to most things in the world except the natural disasters, then I perk up a bit.

QOTD: Good question DC.  This assumes that trying out for a day means you would automatically have the skills right? Because if not, we could be in some trouble.  But let's assume we have the skills to perform the job then I would say 1.) elite trail runner, 2.) fighter pilot, 3.) nascar driver, 4.) speed boat pilot.  Can you see the pattern for speed?

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning folks,

Another nice 4 miler in the park this morning, I dipped onto the trail

for a mile or so just to see how my ankle responded; ankle said

"c'mon, dude let's get back to the dirt".

Raspberries are my favorite natural aid station treat; I still remember a run

in the hills of CA where I stopped and grazed during a sun-baked afternoon

run. Sweet.

QOTD: Heart Surgeon.

some call me Tim

I did get out yesterday -

Power v Endurance on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge

8 mile tempo along the Potomac today. As I turned onto the WW bridge this ripped, shirtless young guy got in ahead of me and gave a whoop as he ran up. I kept even distance until the middle and then caught up. "Nice effort," I said. He shook his head, "I let you catch up," then let out another whoop, "POWER! BACKBONE!"

I asked him what his race was and he said 800 - I nodded appreciatively. He picked up the pace. I kept up for awhile, but finally said,"I've gotta let you go, have a good workout."

"BACKBONE!," said he and, at a bit of a loss I offered,"Endurance!"

I caught up to him walking the ramp up the pedestrian bridge and gave him a wave. In my peripheral vision I saw him start up again but I didn't look back, and I didn't see him again, but thanks to him it was a great, weird run.

ENDURANCE!!

So I ran it again, a bit slower, at 5:30 this morning, and didn't see Mr. Backbone, but I'm reasonably impressed with the number of people running at that hour. Gosh that Mt. Vernon bike path is a bore, though. I'm hoping to get out to rtdc's recommended Fountainhead tomorrow, but we'll see what's possible. Smithsonians with the kids today.

qotd: aw hell, considering I'm here, how about the leader of the free world? My eldest told me this morning that she thought Barack Obama was responsible for punishing people who aren't nice to others... clearly there's some learnin to be done

LB2

QOTD: I'd probably try out being a forest ranger and/or a game warden in the high country of Colorado, NM, Montana, or somewhere like that.

LB2

runtraildc

Blarg- if you get out to Fountainhead, this link  might be helpful since it shows mileage (thru aid stations).  I can't speak for any other parts of of the park.  Gaylord/National Harbor is pretty isolated from everything, as you've probably learned.

AT-runner

Tim

Hi all.  Got out and ran with Scott Jurek today.  He's almost to the 1/2 way point in 23 days. I made separate thread with pics.  Humid and light drizzle and trail was swamped from 1.5" of rain last night.  DW started out but had to turn back early due to work.  She was a bit bummed, but happy I got to run alone with him.

QOTD:  Assuming the skills come with the day's work, then a Major League Baseball Player (a guy can dream).  If skill set isn't included, then President of the US where I would push a 1 day agenda on term limits for Congress.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

5 hilly road miles last night.

Runtraildc, those mowers (called zero turn)  are fun! Top speed on them is close to 20 mph.

QOTD I always wanted to be a fighter pilot since seeing the movie Top Gun as a kid.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ended up with 6.5 with the group...it was hard.  Going to the gym and running is hard.  Today I need to get a nooner 5 in.  Office picnic after work and didn't get up this am.

QOTD:  A professional snowboarder on locations for a photo-shoot high in the mountains with 4 feet of fresh powder.    Is that really a job though?  How about a trophy wife..wait I already am! 

Jaime:  I have my head in the sand too... I barely know what's going on in the USA. 

blargendarg:  Sounds like that guy was really enjoying his run.  I can see the next time you are struggling or gliding on a run your going to yell out 'ENDURANCE!!!"

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Bike to work, strength training this evening. Weirdest thing this morning, I'm on bike and I look over my shoulder....... 

Qotd: if the sky is the limit, I'd really like to do a gig as a driver for Porsche in a 24 hour race.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Worked last night, came home went to bed, got up around noon and have been trying to get the energy to do something constructive. As soon as I get this important post  out of the way I'm going to head out to my shed and replace some of the siding on the one side.  Then I'll head out for a 7+ mile run. At this point it's feeling like it will be a slow easy pace.

Yesterday DD flew to Texas. Late last night her credit card company called her to say they had detected fraudulent activities. She had told them she was going to Texas and when they saw that her card was used in PA they contacted her to see if she had used it before departure. When they found out that she didn't they cancelled her account. On the positive side they caught it quickly. On the negative side she's now in Texas without a credit card. Fortunately she has a working debit card.

QOTD:  I kind of like runtraildc's idea for a maintenance job. The one hospital I work for has a nice large campus and I'm always jealous of the maintenance staff there getting to cut grass, remove snow etc.  Jamie's fighter pilot idea also sounds good, always wanted to fly. Jon's wanting to be a heart surgeon made me think that maybe being a brain surgeon would be cool. I think I'd love playing with a brain...... so if I touch this part lets see if it makes their arm twitch .  Guess that wouldn't be in the patients best interest so I'll give up on that Idea.

So, when I really think about it I would like to be a Air Force Para-rescue man.  Either that or a Coast Guard rescue swimmer, although I think the Air Force Para-Rescue job would be cooler because they get to do some secret missions.  Being part of Delta Force would be nice too. I could use those skills to hunt down identity thieves and   mete out justice.

LB2

So, when I really think about it I would like to be a Air Force Para-rescue man.  Either that or a Coast Guard rescue swimmer, although I think the Air Force Para-Rescue job would be cooler because they get to do some secret missions.  Being part of Delta Force would be nice too. I could use those skills to hunt down identity thieves and   mete out justice.

We had a Delta Force helo crash along a power line in western Virginia one night. We were doing a joint operation with the army. We were set up underneath the power line, which I thought was a bad idea to begin with. I heard the helo, and then I heard the rotors hit the line. It was creepy. They all survived, one broken leg. We did actually lose two Marines on that operation who were doing a halo jump, and then lost two more on the way back due to a vehicle accident. That whole op was doomed from the start.

LB2

slosh

Got in a nice 7 mile run this afternoon on a crushed limestone trail.  Light rain the whole run and it felt great!

Qotd: retiree.