Trailer Trash

Moon Monday (Read 22 times)

LB2

Bright moon here at 3:20 AM. We went to bed early, and I just woke up a few minutes ago. So, I'll drink a little coffee and get out for 2 loops, 5 miles this morning.

QOTD: What is the most significant change you intend to make in your running for 2017, and how do you plan to implement that plan?

I plan to be a lot more focused on running. I won't break 1000 miles this year, which is totally unacceptable to me. My happy minimum yearly mileage is 1200, worst case scenario (Obviously, this year was worse than my "worst case scenario".). So, I am not happy at all. I will sign up for a race as soon as registration opens and start working toward that. If I am not signed up for a 100 mile race, I just don't get focused because I am really not very interested in any distance other than that. Other than my first 50K, I always think of races less than 100 miles as long training runs for a 100 miler. The first 50K was supposed to be the longest run I would ever do.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Happy Monday!

Busy weekend for us.  Got a road run in on Saturday. Since it was last day of deer hunting season, I stayed out of the woods and all the crazies hunters. Michaux Forest seems to get too many hunters per square mile.  That's why I stay away during deer rifle season. Must be hard on the hunters too, with so much competition in the woods. Most of my friends get permission to use a local farm or go upstate to deer camps.

Nice trail run yesterday with snow on the ground and light snow falling.  After a mile, we were the only tracks in the snow.  Very peaceful and pretty out, and all the gates are now closed on the logging roads, so I can run without trucks sneaking up on me.

QOTD:  Was hoping to have a spring race, but didn't get in the lottery, so first big race is Memorial day weekend and a 24hr that we might turn into a 48hr if the RD gets at least 5  stupid interested people. So my training may be more doubles and B2B long runs.  Also might have to add some more night running and fast paced walking.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

I'll probably do 5 after work today since I took an URD yesterday (just felt like taking the day off).  Went to the Doc with DD yesterday, her hurt foot is a little serious (they think it's an very small avulsion fracture in the 5th metatarsal of her foot), she's gonna go to an Ortho guy asap.  Don't worry, she's still on cloud 9, just planning a longer break than she planned.

qotd: Nothing too different I guess, except more core/ab training.  (BTW LB2, I'm thinking about Arkansas Traveler in the fall.)

tbd.

LB2

qotd: Nothing too different I guess, except more core/ab training.  (BTW LB2, I'm thinking about Arkansas Traveler in the fall.)

Arkansas Traveler is a pretty good one, well run from what I am told. However, there isn't enough single track to make me want to do it. It is mostly forest service roads. I'm going back to my "Sweet Home Alabama". I think I can run a better race there, although I was happy with my last finish. I just like it a lot. Another good one to consider is the Ozark Trail 100. It is the same weekend as Pinhoti, similar terrain, point to point, low key.

LB2

XtremeTaper

No moon here. We had clouds and a light amount of freezing rain instead. No run today, but a couple of 7 milers on the trails with the Lady over the weekend. Mixed bag on the return to running. Felt like I was shuffling about and still some tightness in the left knee yesterday. Will look to get in a few runs this week but not today.

QOTD: No changes, just get back to where I was a few months ago.

LB2 - Get your focus on just running I say and the rest will follow.

AT - We had a dusting here on Saturday which was a surprise.

Sandy - Congrats to your DD. Hope the downtime is not too long for her.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Arkansas Traveler is a pretty good one, well run from what I am told. However, there isn't enough single track to make me want to do it. It is mostly forest service roads.

Yeah that's what I've been told about AT100 as well.  Doing one on a bunch of double-track jeep roads for a change sounds good to me right about now.  It's still one long 50 mile out-n-back in a very remote area.  Makes logistics easy.  We'll see, it's still early yet.

That Alabama run is great as well. 

tbd.

runtraildc

Didn't race yesterday as I was planning, but instead got in 7 miles after our house project was finished (this stage). Temps were hovering in the low 30s, which meant no one else was out.  Wait until Thursday when it's teens and 20s . Heading to MN for the holidays, so it's winter training for me.

Sandy-- sorry to hear about DD's avulsion fracture. She's young and will heal quickly. Congrats to her for her race!

qotd: Thinking about a race longer than HM, but not necessarily trail. I've been tempted by the Acadia marathon, since I love it there and will look for any excuse for a visit. WC's pics didn't hurt, either.  We'll see. I turn 50 next year and have long thought about running a 50k in commemoration. Notice, that was not 50 miles.

Have a good day everyone!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in a run at the gym last night.  Nothing for me today though.  The last two Saturdays have been fun and busy with both boys playing basketball.  I am coaching one and assistant coach for the other.  It's got my coaching juices going again.  I get real excited during the games.  I scared a kid on Saturday during my 4th grade team's game when I was yelling so loud.  Funny things is, the kid was on the other team.  

Sandy - congrats on DD's 50.  That is a great time, ex specially considering a sore foot.  She may very well have a 10 with her dear ole dad one of these days.

QOTD: Nothing really.  I am not planning any races until I know I am close to finishing my dissertation.  So maybe a summer race if I can manage it.  Otherwise a couple fall races.  So really I just need to maintain a base and that's about it.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

LB2 - Are you still lined up to pace Kelly?

Sandy - DD can start posting here now since most of our group is injured in some way.  Hope she heals quickly.

dc - Saw the Thursday temps. Going to be 17 degrees here as the high.

XT - we had dusting in Gettysburg and about 2" up in the mountains. Was very nice to run in light snow. Has ice today and schools were all delayed. Very slippery on my way into office this morning and then I had to salt the parking lot.

Jamie - Try to avoid getting a "bench technical foul". There 2 shots and the ball.

Daydreamer1

Feeling really, really beat up this morning which is a good thing. I can tell that it comes from working really hard at the gym yesterday. There was just enough people there that there was some competition for the free weights so sometimes I was lifting one level heavier than I had planned to and that was already on top of a step up in weight. I like feeling tired and sore after a good workout, it makes it feel worthwhile.

Roads are icy here so I'll either run about 3 miles on my treadmill or do some trainer time.  I really want to hit 1500 miles here soon so I can take a break from running for a couple of weeks.

Sandy - Congrats on DD's 50 miler. FWIW  on the avulsion fracture I have at least one and maybe two bone chips floating around in my ankles from the stupid things.  They've never given me any real problems, however, they are at a different location from where her's would be.

QOTD:  Really thinking about following Runtrail's lead and run shorter distances this year. Sometimes I feel like I beat myself up trying to run longer and longer and don't get as much enjoyment out of running as I should.  It also makes me slower and slower.

For 2017 I think my goal will be cut from 1500 to 1200 miles. I want to work on speed a lot more.  This past year was a disaster when it come down to running a lot of single track. Most of my runs on the mountain were on double track and dirt roads and I didn't get to my favorite trails even once. That will change in 2017.  Hopefully the gym will be included a lot more even during the warmer months. I think if I'm stronger I'll run better.  I still have plans for two long runs, first will be the Delaware Triple Crown, the other will be Montour 12 hour. I just might sneak down to AT's territory and do one of the shorter jaunts at that 24 hour race, but that's a long shot because of the weekend it's on.

muppy

Ran a half marathon yesterday and knocked four minutes and 45 seconds off my PR for 1:48:54.  Between that and  visiting the museums in Washington DC with the DW it was a great week end!

QOTD  I am still dreaming about doing  A 24 hour race, I am still trying to be a faster runner though.  Basically my plan is just run more miles.

AT-runner

Tim

dreamer - 3 hours at the Gym yesterday.  DW used to call those people "stay around the gym guy".  Said they did 60 minutes of exercise in 3 hours.  Sounds like you did more than that.

muppy - Awesome!   Saw your DC Aboretum pics on FB.  Love that place. We're going to Longwood Gardens tomorrow for our annual Christmas visit.

LB2

LB2 - Are you still lined up to pace Kelly?

I was lined up to pace him at Cajun Coyote, but he dropped to the 100K. I was still going to run a loop, but he came back after the first loop and we drank beer. We paced ourselves with that, though.

LB2

LB2

LB2 - Get your focus on just running I say and the rest will follow.

Very true.

LB2

LB2

Yeah that's what I've been told about AT100 as well.  Doing one on a bunch of double-track jeep roads for a change sounds good to me right about now.  It's still one long 50 mile out-n-back in a very remote area.  Makes logistics easy.  We'll see, it's still early yet.

That Alabama run is great as well. 

AT is a great race. The Ouachita's are beautiful mountains. I have never heard a bad thing about the race. I know quite a few people who have run it. Some of them did quite well.

LB2