Trailer Trash

Weekender (Read 20 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Just got back from helping DW with a 5k at her work (a residential living nursing community). It was her first RD assignment and it went very well with 40 runner / walkers.   The last group was a nurse and 3 residents over 80. They finished in 1:02.  20 min/mile pace is not too shabby. The App I downloaded worked great and all I had to do was tap their bib # when they came in and it recorded their time and finish. Had my watch as a backup, and I could go back and make any changes while time was still rolling.  Used my Kindle Fire tablet and I could see all 40 bib 3's on one screen, so it was really easy.

Now waiting to go to woods for 10-12 miles on the crunch leaves.  JFK race is today, and I might go down when I'm done and cheer for some friends.

QOTD: What would be your preferred volunteer job at a race? Aid Station / Start-Finish / Pacer / Sweep etc. I've worked a few races and think it would be an AS late in the race when runners need more assistance.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

7.6 miles on the rail trail last night, did  2 miles at hm pace, 2x1 miles at 10k and 2x1/2 at 5k pace. It's a fun workout!

QOTD I've been a sweep a few times and it's nice to help out the people that are in the back.

runtraildc

4.5 miles last night into Northwest Branch and then back to the pool. Came out of the park via a new trail into a a new to me neighborhood.  I was noticing the very large lawns that were all meticulously mowed.  But nice quiet streets for running and a long hill to work the legs. Also nice to even just pass thru someplace different.

Then ran 5 miles this morning at the swim meet. Explored a new trail that I've been wanting to try for a while. As I was coming out of the woods and back on the paved trail, a half dozen mtn bikers were going in. Glad I had the trail to myself.

AT- very impressive for those 80 year olds!

qotd: Aid station is always good. I'd like to try my hand at sweeping one of these days.

some call me Tim

Hey all, I think I'm about done with the little downtime needed after that disastrous 50k, and just in time for the weather to change. We're promised 18" of snow over the next few days - not sure if that's really gonna materialize, though.

AT, that sounds pretty smooth. There are so many little things to worry about from the RD standpoint, great that you could handle that. I just used my watch for the elimination race, but I've been the volunteer punching in bib numbers and handing ticker tape to an RD in the past, too. Kinda fun, actually.

qotd: My favorite position ever was drop bag service/roving AS help. I got to meet everybody as they came in to drop off their stuff, and then ferried it out to the proper aid stations ahead of the runners while helping with stuff like fetching water for stations that were running low. But mostly I found myself free to move around the course just ahead of the leaders and watch the race at the front unfold, then after all drop bags were in place get to cheer everyone else as well. I even got to jump in as a pacer for a friend later on, so I saw many of the runners finish. It was great having the opportunity to follow so many of them throughout the day.

Daydreamer1

Just woke up as the house was getting shook by the wind hitting it from the cold front moving in. Actually thought someone was in the house .  Should have went for a run when I got home from work then slept.  Looking at going out for about 5 miles. With the wind hitting ~20 mph it will be slow.

AT - Sounds like a good deal. Kudos to your wife for trying to keep the oldsters active at that age.

QOTD: Always thought I'd like to do sweep. I could just mosey along, pick up any trash and help out anyone that was struggling.  Also wouldn't mind  shuttling any drops back to the start finish line.

Ran 10.4 windy, rainy, cold miles this morning with RC friends.  Should have had more layers on!  Planned on doing more but called it a day with visions of hypothermia dancing through my head.  Will put in a few more tomorrow.  Will dress better too.

QOTD: I'm in charge of an aid station at mile 85 at WS.  People are really appreciative and definitely need us, so it's a good feeling being able to make a difference.  Last weekend I volunteered at a local trail race and handed out the shirts and other swag to runners after they finished.  That's a fun job, people were thrilled to be done and happy to get post-race goodies.  I think everyone who runs races should be required to put in time volunteering... good to get that perspective and makes you appreciate all the work that goes into the event.  Trail racing RDs in this area are smart because they offer a free future race in return for volunteering at a race for a number of hours.  Win-win.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

NHLA

8 miles Trifty Cove & North Slope trails  1800' elevation gain.

qotd   At any race there are usually two people doing most of the work. I help them.

Sandy-2

Hello from over the pond...  weather is cold, overcast and rainy in other words...  normal.  Got here Saturday afternoon, took a quick nap and then went for a 6 mile run.  Felt really good to run in temps in the lower 40's.  Then this morning got up early and did 16 more miles.  Again rainy and cold.  Went west along the Tames past the rowing clubs and then turned around as I was getting to Richmond. The hotel breakfast when I got. Ack was great!!!

Watching the BBC this morning they were covering the US.  Funniest thing so far was when they were talking about Pres-elect Trump's current appointments, the commentator asked "any sign of a woman yet?"  Then they went on to cover their Brexit fiasco showing the MP and PM bickering at each other.  What sport!!!

qotd: I typically help out at a Rock Raccoon aid station.  RR is a loop so we see the runners many times.  I do all sorts of stuff, it's all a lot of fun.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

8 miles for me yesterday on the lakeside trails with the Lady. Busy day on the trails with temps in the 60's by 10am, warming to the 70's. We ran into a dad out hiking with his tiny tot. The little girl stopped to pet the Lady. It was pretty cute as the Lady and the little girl were the same height so could look each other in the eye. The Lady's tail wagged non-stop.

Today will be a much different run. Will need some layers and gloves as it's high 30's with gusty winds. I am going to stay out of heavy woods today, so it will be a short one with some meadow sections out by lake.

QOTD: I've done aid station support many times at Massanutten 100. Aid stations late in the race, early in the race, sort of mid-race too. The early race one was like a pit stop at a Nascar race. In/out service. The later one's are more interesting, but means longer shifts, but that's ok. One of the stations at Massanutten I worked at was dual duty, mile 60+ and 95. It was about a 24 hour aid station! By tear down time I felt about as exhausted if I had ran the thing.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

muppy

5.5 hilly trail miles yesterday.  Was almost 70° then it dropped about 35° and started sleeting. 'Tis the season I guess.

Daydreamer1

Yesterday's outside run turned into a short run on the treadmill.  Today's will to. Winds are blowing pretty constant in the upper 20's and the temp is only in the upper 30s. Got too cold too quick. I'll put in about 3 miles on the treadmill again.

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I had a great 8 mile trail run today in the cold, windy, snow flurry conditions. There was a new bridge up on a trail that had been closed for a few years at Pine Grove Furnace SP, and I forgot how much i loved that trail.  32 degrees with steady snow flurries and strong winds. Would have added a few miles but my hands were frozen.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Put off my run all day, hoping the wind would die down a bit.  Ended up going out just before dark and stuck to the roads.  5 miles and surprisingly quite nice out, despite seeming to have a head wind at every turn.  40 degrees so I had my hat and gloves on for the first time this season.

LB2

I did not run at all this weekend. I just piddled around in the woods. It was a nice break.

QOTD: I have done everything except sweep a course. I guess I would like to do that. I normally work the start/finish at Cajun Coyote, and I have also done that a couple of times at Rocky Raccoon. I work hard at aid stations, but I really like helping runners who are having problems. I remember at Rocky one year I was working with this guy who had some challenges. It was hot, and he was really being an "Ice Nazi". We were back and forth about the ice; finally, the AS captain came over and moved him to the road crossing a few hundred yards from the finish line. The captain said, "Ice is cheap; we can get more ice if we need it. So, give as much ice as they need." I think people who haven't run 100 miles overlook the importance of ice when it is hot. It can, and did, save the day for many runners. Put in your hat; put in in your shorts; put it where ever you need it. Keeping that core temp down is one of the keys to success.

LB2