Trailer Trash

Twelve hour Tuesday (Read 26 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

our local running group just announced a 12 hour race at the end of June, utilizing local trails- a 12 mile loop, 2700’ of gain/loop. An interesting twist, it will start Friday night at 8:00 PM and end Saturday 8:00 AM. I think I will give it a go.

strength training this evening

qotd:  have you done time races?  like them?  tips?

I have not

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Nice spring day here.  Just finished up enough of my one car project to get it inspected and back on the road.  Now to get the BMW straightened out.  First I need to go measure the area of my woods that I want to plant trees in. If I don't  order them soon I'll be out of luck for this year.  Looking to plant Oak and Hickory.

Going to head out for 7+ miles on the road today. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get up on the mountain.

QOTD:  I've done the 12 hour version of the Montour 24 twice now.  I really like the format of timed races.  Not really sure if I like the idea of a 12 mile loop.  Depending on the trails some people may have to stop at 8-10 hours unless they will have a way to measure partial loops.  There is a 5 mile race in WV that I would like to do but partial loops don't count so I'm hesitant to do it.  At least with the 1.5 mile loop format that some use it's not so bad if you start the final loop but can't make it back before the clock ends.

This reminds me, I need to look up the race that George did down in VA last year.

AT-runner

Tim

Sunshine and nice temperature for a run on some MTB trails in Michaux.  Lots of twisting and turning and had to tip toe across a log 2 times to get across a swollen creek.  Was out for almost 2 hours, but no idea how far I ran since I kept mixing things up and exploring some cross trails.

QOTD:  Yes, done 8 or 9 timed events. 12, 24 and 48hr. Longest loop I've done on a timed event is 5 miles, and that was long.  12 miles for a timed event seems a bit extreme.  With that elevation, it could take 3 hours or more on tired legs late in the race, so as dreamer said, if you come in after 9 hours, you may be done.

Best advice is to start slow and walk sections early, even if you feel like running.  It catches up later. An even pace works better than going out fast and trying to "bank miles".   Also I mix up running the uphills and downhills to change muscle groups.  Late in the race, I usually feel better running up the hills and walking down the hills.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

The Lady and I ran 5 miles last night on the hilly trails of Coventry Woods. Nice evening, 50 with little to no wind. I think the Lady preferred this weather to the hot temps we had in FL the past few weeks. Me. I am good either way.

QOTD: Yes, I've done a few 12 hour events, and one 6 hour event. In fact I ran a 12 hour just nine days ago but stopped after 9.5 hours. I've always done timed events on trails, longer loops of 5 miles. That means target an hour per loop and see if you can get to 12 or more. My best is about 60 miles (in 11:05). I should have went out for one more that day. The best thing about timed loops is they are logistically very easy. Pack a bag, a cooler, and you are set for the day. The 12 mile loop though, that's pretty long for a timed race. It will be tricky if not impossible to maximize your distance and time. One thing to look out for is wasting time at the end of a loop. That will be less of an issue for you with the long loop.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Heading to the Valley Forge trails as soon as I finish posting this

qotd: My first ultra was the 12-hour race at North Coast 24. I like the fixed time races because they usually allow more interaction with the other runners, have simpler logistics (unless they're on a 12 mile loop), and eliminate cutoff anxiety. Aid stations and medical aid are nearby, at least the ones on short loops. Pacing is critical. If you go out too fast, you still have x hours to run, not x miles, so it doesn't get you to the finish any quicker or shorten the death march.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

he hasn’t posted details yet, but it’s very possible that there will be a aid station around the 6 mile mark and might give you credit for a half loop. I’ll post up more details when it comes out.  Running the majority of miles at night should prove interesting as well

Thanks for the tips thus far!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

Did 6 miles on the treadmill, pushed a few buttons and called it hill training. My button pushing kicked my ass

qotd: no timed events, most are on a short loop and the thought of them sends shivers down my spine, although if I had enough vacation time, the one warden was talking about sounds fun.

DD- I just sent in my tree order, I'm planting 10 apple trees, 10 blue spruce, and 50 lilac bushes. I love the smell of thoae things in the spring

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Best advice is to start slow and walk sections early, even if you feel like running.  It catches up later. An even pace works better than going out fast and trying to "bank miles".   Also I mix up running the uphills and downhills to change muscle groups.  Late in the race, I usually feel better running up the hills and walking down the hills.

I just printed this out and stuck it up on my desk.  Even reading it every day from now until May 11, I'm sure I'll still screw it up. 

QOTD:  A virgin in timed events, so I've got nothin'.  My first will be Montour 24.  So I'm glad you asked.

Oh yeah, hope to get 7 easy tonight.

MTA - I think I'm going to be a proud sissy and bail on the Naked Bavarian on Saturday.  Not in the mood for a 20 mile mud run.  I'll keep my eye on the Naked Prussian marathon at the end of March though.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

MTA - I think I'm going to be a proud sissy and bail on the Naked Bavarian on Saturday.  Not in the mood for a 20 mile mud run.  I'll keep my eye on the Naked Prussian marathon at the end of March though.

90% sure we are going. DW wants to run it because she thinks she'd bail on a 20 miler training run this weekend.  I might run first 1/2 with her and then move on. Last time I did this and ran 3:40 and was 3rd in AG. I'd be happy with 4:40 the way I'm currently running. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

4 miles through the hood. My little trail there is currently under about a foot of water, so that was a bit too muddy for me today, and I did roads only. Still nice, warm and just a light breeze.

DD1: I planted 3 spruces and pines in pots 11 years ago (they were just a single twig then), moved them from the pot to the yard, and they have now grown to something like 10 feet high. I love to see them in my back yard.

Only last Christmas, my neighbor told me she would cut down these 3 trees to make them her own Christmas trees, as they are "wild" and did not belong to anyone. Shut her up pretty quick when I told her I had planted and raised them and they were mine, and MINE only. 

Currently have another little pine tree growing in a pot, it is actually DS's, he gave it to me for Mother's Day, but I am not sure it will survive. It's hanging in there still, though.

QOTD: Never done a timed event.

Enjoy the day, trailers!

Run for fun.

LB2

Ran 3 this morning.

QOTD: Never done one.

LB2

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Mt . do you know anyone who rides horses and runs ? A friend in Missoula is looking for a running riding partner for a Ride & Tie in Spokane in April . Being a good rider is pretty important , her horses is young and it would his first Ride & Tie.

runtraildc

Took another rest day. I pulled something in my neck, then slept in a weird position to accomodate that and now my lower back is talking back to me. Turning 50 was not kind to my body. If DS gets into the pool tonight, I'll go for an easy walk.

qotd: nope.

And trees, I've planted a lot on our tiny 1/8th acre and I've run out of room so I have to keep reminding myself not to buy any more.  I have a bunch of cedar and holly seedlings that I'm going to plant in the park up the street.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Mt . do you know anyone who rides horses and runs ? A friend in Missoula is looking for a running riding partner for a Ride & Tie in Spokane in April . Being a good rider is pretty important , her horses is young and it would his first Ride & Tie.

Valerie- I'll ask around.  Had to look it up as I've never heard of it- pretty neat   I have a lot of horse experience, but it's dated and as I'm sure Sandy could tell you, you need to be in pretty good "horse shape" to ride very much- it's a whole muscle tone of it's own.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Did 3 after work today.  It was very warm.  Just when I was starting to feel better, my knee started bugging me.  WTF? I wasn't worried because it was just over use runner's knee, but still I feel like I'm falling apart.  Anyway after 2 days off, it is totally gone and I didn't feel a thing this evening. Hopefully it is gone.

qotd: never did a timed run.  But I did do that 6-loop race recently, does that count?

tbd.