Trailer Trash

Wonderful Wednesday (Read 29 times)

runtraildc

Gorgeous weather here--  Love it when I step outside to sunny, crisp sunshine ('crisp' is 57 degrees).  Got in just over 5 miles last night, with several miles being the fastest all year.  After a couple of sluggish runs, it felt wonderful to be moving again.

Sandy--are you in Japan yet?

qotd:  What is the biggest personal change you've ever made?  Ok, I came up with the question that I'm not ready to answer.  What comes first to mind is 'becoming a parent', but that's so obvious.  I tend to make a lot of little changes over time, which is my risk management background-- address problems when they are small.  Yhey're a lot easier, faster and cheaper to fix before they implode into much bigger things.  Might need time to do some deeper soul searching   while the rest of you go ahead.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning! and yes a wonderful weather Wednesday on this Autumnal Equinox! It was 51* when I got out early for my run under a clear sky and a sky full of stars.  It was chilly enough that my hands felt it but still perfect weather.  Ended up with 7 miles.

Wondering if Queen is waking up this morning thinking about me again! 

QOTD: I don't like change generally.  Not sure most people do.  You got me thinking on this one DC....hmmm.  Of course, as you said, the obvious are getting married, having kids.  But I would say when I made the decision to go back to school a few years ago.  I knew it would eat up a lot of time and in the end would leave a very large student loan.  Here I am still in it although I will be entering the last phase soon.  As a result, I barely watch any TV anymore and had to really change my running habits.  I can still run just had to adjust the time frame and probably have decreased my sleep time by a bit to accommodate.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

An easy 6 miles this morning. I hope to do another 3 or 4 after work.

QOTD: Wow. I don't know. Perhaps my change from a nice guy to a monumental asshole, which is the result of dealing with a bunch of cry babies at work who stay focused on meaningless bullshit. Other than that, I don't know. Ask me tomorrow when I am in a better mood.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

A rest day here from running anyway. Currently doing some core, stretching, weights, and will hop on the elliptical for a short stretch. Gonna head north a little later to enjoy my last days of freedom.

Got another job that I start on Monday along with the other job I would start in a couple weeks. The one I start Monday is also a seasonal that will go until early Feb. Not bad I'm thinking. Also have another interview this morning with yet another place that also wants me to start Monday. Finding crappy jobs around here is really pretty easy.  So I guess I will have to make some life type decisions shortly. Oh the stress!    I really have been enjoying my life of leisure but DW says it's time and you know that a happy wife is a happy life.

Couch--finally read your post from yesterday. Holy crap! I can't imagine what you went thru. Glad everything worked out. Thinking back to my youth, had that been me I can just visualize my old man removing his belt and the whoopin' I would be gettin'.

QOTD--Tough question.  I suppose back when I was 23 I bought a small business in Wausau Wi. and DW and I made the big move to the unknown.

LB2

Re-visitation of QOTD: Sorry, my estrogen level was spiked momentarily folks. I think the biggest change I have had to deal with was actually a work related thing. We moved from our old campus into a brand new facility while simultaneously changing from a data system I completely knew how to operate to one that was like learning a foreign language. And, in the midst of all of that, my then boss took her two week vacation out of the country, leaving me to deal with the logistics of the moving of tons of equipment while also having to complete my normal tasks. It was truly all that I could do not to walk out the door. We made it, but they sure pissed me off this morning with a bunch of whining over trivial things that don't amount to a hill of beans.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Good morning all... no run yet today, but will get out this evening. The Lady and I ran a wandering 8.5 miles last night out at Coventry Woods. The deer are really moving about now. Lots of rustling in the woods. I think we'll run over at the lake tonight.

QOTD: It seems getting older I am more resistant to change. We nearly moved to GA a few years ago, and that would have been a big change. Personally I see relocating as a big change if you initiate it yourself. Leaving California in 1989 to relocate to Dallas was one of my bigger changes. My career finally got moving but the company I was working for was changing, I was frustrated with the cost of living and prospects of a future life in LA, so found a way out of there.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

some call me Tim

Probably a rest day here, too. I'll do some work on this quad but in all likelihood it's probably best to take the day off.

qotd: Yeah, big change is tough. The biggest for me is the decision to be a stay at home parent. Looking back, I had no idea what I was doing and just so arrogant... all principles and no reality... just thought I could do anything. But there's so little social support for men in that position and you don't realize what it's gonna be like to lose all of that adult interaction or the way people will look at you. There's been a lot of good that came out of it and I don't even necessarily think that another choice would have been better, but that decision has changed me far more than simply having children ever could.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning All!  Going to suffer through my hill repeat routine after work- going to try and get three rounds in ~ 6.6 miles and ~ 3000'

NH say it ain't so!

qotd: probably my decision to move West when I was a young high school graduate, that was 40 years ago and have since racked up jobs as a logger, wilderness ranger and 25 years as a game warden. Also met my DW (she was the bosses daughter when I was logging), had two children and now two grandchildren. So yeah that decision changed a few things

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run this morning..one up for Jamie.  I haven't felt normal since Saturday and now really think I am suffering from some anxiety issues over what I really don't know.  Had to help my husband push around his van this morning so he can work on the back.  Do have gym planned for lunch..upper body day.

QOTD:  I don't know about biggest but 10 years ago I quit my job and we traveled the west for a few months looking for a new place to live.  That's how I ended up here.  Another biggy was when I moved to California at 23.  Ummm 30 years ago.

Jamie:  I thought abut you but it didn't motivate me to get going.    I need to get going on this thing...can't waste my lead.

Northern:  Sorry to hear about the job or possible jobs.  Take the one that lays you off in February.

blargendarg:  I applaud you for staying home with your kids, ya lazy bum! 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Northern:  Sorry to hear about the job or possible jobs.  Take the one that lays you off in February.

Great minds think alike!  Just got back from the interview I mentioned earlier and they wanted me to start right away. Harder work, a little more money, and permanent position (at least until I quit) but I convinced them to move my start date until Oct. 5th. That way I can start the job I think I really want and try it for a week.  I do like the idea of being laid off in February as we have reservations on the gulf coast in March. I mean a real job might be difficult getting the time off I require.      Though I have to add I interviewed for a real job last week at a good place and if they call I'll probably take it and figure something out later.   I wish I could just get paid to be a slacker.

Heading north now and if I'm lucky I'll have enough time for a little bird hunting or mtn biking yet today.

Watoni

Will try to get a bike ride in today per the plan. Ran 7.5 yesterday after having the orthotics tweaked .... they need more tweaking but it was still a great run.

QOTD: Going away from academia and becoming the breadwinner attorney is a major one, but rather than kids I would say marriage. I got myself out of a relationship that was at the same time comfortable and unhealthy, walked in the wilderness for a while, and then was all in to fall madly in love with my bride a few years later. The personal changes during that period were tough and profound (at least for me).

Sandy-2

Hi Gang!

Been busy at work this week, hosting some visitors and running a 3 day meeting.  Good distraction during the last taper week I guess. Been doing some lite running in the mornings.

Sandy--are you in Japan yet?

dc, actually as I write this I am at the airport waiting for my flight to Tokyo. I'll get to the race site today (Thurs) and get all checked in. The run doesn't start until tomorrow afternoon.

qotd:  I guess moving to Korea 30 years ago (we stayed for 5 years) was the biggest change, and also inspired lots of eye opening and personal changes in us. Now moving back to Korea again after 25 years is also a change, but not like the first time.

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

6 evening miles, wonderful temperature, and a very nice sunset.

QOTD: Moving to Germany, and not having to deal with the Austrian "everything is negotiable" attitude (which means, nobody sticks to any rules, and if you do, you lose) any more. I liked the less emotional, more matter-of-factly and transparent way of life better there, and I discovered that I do much better in such a more structured environment. I have been striving to keep it that way ever since.

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

blargendarg:  I applaud you for staying home with your kids, ya lazy bum! 

I resemble that remark!

NHLA

4.5 miles down the mt.

qotd  Closed office and started working from home. It's hard at first but I like it now.