Trailer Trash

Trailing Behind Tuesdalies... (Read 28 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Looks like people are either currently trailing or just behind on posting.  I got up and did chores so I still owe myself a run and my core arm workout.  Haircut at lunch so may run after work something...maybe with the mutts.  Then do my little workout while watching the tube.

QOTD:  We had a friend die a couple of weeks ago.  It's a shame that he chose drinking over his two young children, his wife and ultimately his life.  He was only 51.  They did not have a funeral and may have a gathering in a couple of months.  People are mad at the ex-spouse because she had a planned vacation with the kids that she didn't want to cancel to have the gathering earlier.  I thought it made sense?  It seems to me funerals for the younger generations are going out.  People are getting cremated and having a "party" (celebration of life).  What's your stance on it?

My stance when your dead your dead.  Cremate me and do whatever you want..I'm gone.   and whatever families do when they love one dies is up to them.  No one knows what was discussed people that person died about their wishes.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

AT, I locked your thread because Sue posted a QOTD in hers.  Not playing favorites, I promise.    (Also, my foot issues I'm having are tendinitis.  It really sucks.  I hope yours doesn't flare up like mine.)

I got a whole lotta nothing going on right now.  Sorry, folks.  Boring.

QOTD: I want a bench built on the Ice Age Trail somewhere in my honor and then you can donate my body to science.  Do whatever you want to mourn or celebrate my life.  I don't care what happens after I'm dead.  I imagine people are just too emotional to think rationally during these times.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 12 miles as my last long run before my race.  Still having left big toe issues.  Feels like tendonitis and is likely from pushing off my toes on all the uphills at the Grand Canyon.  Hope it calms down a bit.

QOTD:  I'm Irish and we all know how the Irish celebrate a life. Usually alcohol and a lot of stories.  I read a story about an elderly man who had his wife cremated and had a company add her ashes into some fireworks.  He put on a big fireworks display for friends and family.  That sounds like a way to go.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Good afternoon all.. I haven't trailed yet but I will later so will go with my last run...

A nice warm night last night with a nice breeze that was perfect for a romp around the Green Lane lake trails with the Lady. We ran our typical 7 mile route on hilly rocky blue trail. Did a fast finish race the 70 minute barrier fartlek like thing the last 2 miles. That's about as structured as my speed work get these days. I think a French Creek run is on tap for this evening.

QOTD: Honestly haven't thought of it too much but I suppose I should. Not getting any closer to birth, just death. Spread my ashes on the horeshoe trail with a placard that says here lies xtreme taper... he's in permanent taper now. Seriously my FIL passed away a few years back and there was a man who brought the whole town out to his funeral. That will not be me but it would his live in perspective. Everyone in town knew him.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

dpc3

Walked the yellow dogs then hopped on the bike and rode into work. Another 12 miles in the books, now if I could translate them into running. I have a plan I just need to act on it. Plan on a little body weight exercises with the door closed while on conference calls this afternoon.

QOTD: Celebrate my life and get drunk and have a good time PLEASE! Cremate me and spread me across my favorite wetland or donat emy body to science.

runtraildc

I don't think I'll be running that 10 miles today that my dentist promised.  Root canal went fine (easy), but the antibiotics I've been on since the weekend are making me more tired than usual.  Maybe tomorrow.   another rest day.

Oh, and heads up Cascadia lovers.  REI is having a sale on the 9s as a 'special buy' starting Friday-- $85.  I'm hoping the 20% coupon for outlet sales will work, too.

qotd:  Using current and past health indicators of my family and friends (and barring any accidents, etc.), I have it in my mind that I will likely outlive most of them and it will be a small ceremony anyways.  Sprinkle my ashes in Lake Superior and call it a day.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run this morning due to a poor night's sleep.  I will get out tonight though.  I have done well (mileage wise) through the first 10 days of May.  Looking to keep that going.

Update on my AC debacle: I had to call for a "professional" who came out today.  It was a super easy fix but one I would not have found.  I got charged $140 for an hours worth of work.  But this is still better than the near $600 that they originally estimated. I didn't do a total crap job on installing the motor but just wasn't aware of all the wiring possibilities.  Now I know.

DC - thanks for the heads up on Cascadia's!

Mandy - just cuz you're not running doesn't mean you have to be a stranger.  Now for all the other bums folks - I dunno where they are...

QOTD: Funerals are a bummer.  A celebration of life is cool.  For me, I wish my parts to be used for organ donation - as many as possible. As for what to do with the rest of me, I would prefer to cremate and throw my ashes in the woods by a trail.  But I don't think DW would go for that.  I don't like a big deal over me while living, I certainly don't want one when I am gone.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Oh, and heads up Cascadia lovers.  REI is having a sale on the 9s as a 'special buy' starting Friday-- $85.  I'm hoping the 20% coupon for outlet sales will work, too.

Thanks...I was going to stop on the way home to pick some up...now I will wait.  You can get them online right?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

muppy

I ran 5.2 miles late last night when it cooled down. Went to the high school track with my GF,  she walked while I ran and every couple laps I'd walk a lap with her,  was something a little different .

QOTD I I have always said I want everybody at my funeral to have a super soaker squirt gun so we could have a big water gun battle. ( I guess technically I would not be involved)   I just don't want everybody to take themselves so seriously, relax and have some fun !

some call me Tim

another 3 on the home trails on a very blustery day... I could get used to this!

qotd: I like the idea of sanctioning something that won't cost too much after I'm gone... no need to buy a fancy box... and I used to hate wakes and funerals, but as time's gone by I've changed my mind. It really depends upon what those left behind need, and a bit of ritual and structure can be helpful. Just based on what I've seen, solemn ritual followed by a party is what people seem to go for. I wouldn't say that either element is less important than the other.

runtraildc

Yes.  Our sale catalog came in yesterday's mail.   I'm hoping the 'special buy' means they will get additional stock since my size is not showing available online.  Still at $120; it's about time they went on sale considering the 10s came out 6 months ago

Thanks...I was going to stop on the way home to pick some up...now I will wait.  You can get them online right?

Daydreamer1

There were plans for a 15+ mile Bike ride with DW and then another by myself. Ended up being very windy which DW hates so we went for a walk then I did a 4.5 mile run. Used my new Olympus 1.5s.  Not a bad shoe on dirt roads. Not sure how I'll like them on real trails.

Had my dentist appointment at 3 this afternoon. First cavity in 32 years. Went better then I expected except it was deeper then they thought so there is the possibility of needing a root canal if I develop any pain.

QOTD: If something happened to me in the near future there would be a viewing followed by a traditional funeral the next day. This is mostly because that how our Church does things. I would prefer to just have the viewing where people could come to celebrate my life then only a graveside service with burial in a cardboard coffin.  I don't really have anything against cremation but I don't think my family would like that. If they would do that then they could scatter my ashes on one of the trails that I run.

In the case of Queen's friend I wouldn't criticize the spouse for taking the vacation. It seems like he was probably not there for her and the children when he was alive, and that's what they may need to heal. Everyone is different.

Sandy-2

I have re-started my 5mi at 5am routine for mid-week runs.  Now that my DW is here I have a more structured dinner time  ;-) , so running after work doesn't always work now.  This morning (Wed) I went up and down the lower part of my mountain trails, it is simply great to start the day up there on the single track !!!!!

qotd: First of all I agree with DD1, nobody should criticize the ex-spouse for postponing the gathering due to a pre-planned vacation.  The gathering can wait, plus it sounds like the guy didn't put them first so why should they?  Last summer my DW and I lost 3 family members over the course of 3 months, it sucked.  But I will say that any 'gathering' we had typically involved, or was soon followed by, a few drinks and 'celebration' of the person's life.  For me, take whatever organs you need, fry the rest and spread me out near a trail or water.  Then have a party.  A bench or water fountain like MM said also sounds nice too, that's what we did for my oldest brother when we lost him long ago.

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oops, see the Wednesdaily...

QOTD: I think I'm old fashioned and opt for a simple ceremony to allow grieving (doesn't matter whether it's a formal gathering before the cremation, or a funeral), followed by a dinner for family and friends to exchange memories, and to encourage embracing life and moving on.

I agree with darg that it is important what the family and friends need, not necessarily so much what the person wanted, as the person is gone and probably does not care very much any more anyways.

Run for fun.