Trailer Trash

Whiskey Basin 33K RR (Read 21 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Leading up to Whiskey Basin 33K, I've been running more consistently, more mileage, and generally better workouts than I have in several years. However this is not a goal race; that will be the D3 (Dawn to Dusk to Dawn) 50K a month later. At just over 20 miles this should be a good supported training run with not a lot of vertical gain, and not exhausting enough to keep me from sightseeing at Grand Canyon National Park afterwards.

The trip was more exhausting than anticipated. It seemed like it took forever to drive to Prescott from Phoenix. It was a blessing to get a dinner invitation from Alan (a Running Ahead friend) for dinner so I didn't have that hassle on top of being tired and ready for bed with the three hour time difference. That turn it into a relaxing evening. I had no definite plans for Friday except to relax and enjoy any sightseeing. I ended up spending hours at the Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott learning about local history from pre-Columbian times to the present. The only drawback was dealing with slight nausea and a headache from the altitude that had me reconsidering whether I should race on Saturday. Friday evening I had a reprise of dinner with Alan and family before calling it an early night.

More so than normal I had difficulty sleeping the night before the race. All combined I don't think I got more than two hours of actual sleep. Finally giving up on sleeping, I was up and ready to go by the time breakfast was served at the hotel. For once it started early enough that I could take the time to eat there rather than having to fend for myself. Obviously I decided I felt well enough that I could at least start the race, and with a generous cutoff time I could finish under almost any conditions. It was only a 15 minute drive to the finish line where I caught the bus to the start. With a forecast of a high of 57F tights and a long sleeve shirt seemed the best choice. Keeping in mind the arid environment I also wore my vest with two bottles of water. I should have paid more attention to where the aid stations were.

There was quite a climb on the bus to get to the start at Goldwater Lake, so it would be a big net downhill run. I need to get better at reading course profiles, because I was caught off guard by how much vertical gain there was in the first four miles. The start was one of the most congested I've ever experienced. We were all waiting in a parking area but the actual start was a single track, short, steep downhill, so we entered one by one single file, all 130 or so of us. By the time my turn came my watch already read 1:45. Reportedly 149 were entered but I'm not sure how many started since only 128 with no DNFs are listed on the official results. I felt completely out of control descending the path and am surprised I didn't end up head over heels or face plant. The we started up...and up...and up. We passed the first aid station not more than a half mile in and didn't bother stopping for anything. Then as I left the area I notice a sign that the next aid station was 9.4 miles away. For some reason I didn't remember that and it was my first feeling of uncertainty in the race. The climbing continued with occasional openings with magnificent panoramas. I ran when I could but it was mostly walking up hill for the first four miles or so.

Given that I was stopping to take a few photos, coupled with the vertical gain, I was surprised to see that I was keeping the overall pace under 20:00. With over 1000 feet of gain in the first 4 miles according to Garmin, I was still under 1:14:00, a sub-18:30 pace. After that it was either up or down, nothing that could be consider flat. I can best describe it was running switchbacks down into a gully and back up. It also started to warm up, but instead of feeling overheated I felt cold and clammy, not a good sign. Also with the altitude whenever I ran my heart rate would spike and I'd be breathing had. As a result I kept my running to a minimum. It seemed to take forever to reach the next aid station. I could hear them cheering runners long before I reached it, but with the switchbacks, it was a lot farther away across the valley. When I got there all I wanted to do was sit and recover. That was the Badger Mountain aid station and they worked wonders meeting my needs. It took over 25 minutes of eating and drinking while resting before I felt up to continuing, but when I did, I knew I could positively make it to the next aid station less then 4 miles away. Unless I completely fell apart, once there it was only a little over 6 miles to the finish and I could walk that within the time allotted.

Except for the 5 minute or so rest break at the Sundog Aid Station, I was able to keep my pace under 20:00 even with mostly walking an actually ran one mile as fast as 16:01. There were still a couple "small" climbs of 60-75 feet in the last 6 miles that didn't give me any real problems. My legs were fine; it was my heart rate and breathing that gave me the most trouble. Of course the finish was another 65 foot climb and I ended up walking across the finish line totally exhausted. Volunteers were quick to find me a chair and bring me chips, water, and Gatorade. Getting up and walking was painful, but moving some did help and I was able to get to the aid table unassisted to get more to eat and drink. Officially I was DFL, dead freaking last, at 128th in a time of 6:48:36. I don't know what happened to the remaining registered runners. I was also the oldest in the race. The hills and elevation gain, 2607 feet according to Garmin, were not nearly the problems they have been in prior races. This time it seemed to be mainly the altitude and I don't know how to train to compensate for that.

It's time now to regroup for the D3 50K, then reconsider my possible race selections given my adverse reaction to the altitude this time. I'd never previously experienced headaches or nausea at that altitude, only once at over 9,000 feet many years ago. Opting for the 33K rather than the 60K was definitely the wise choice, and will probably guide me in future selections for trail races at altitude.

A few photos added

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Awesome job getting it down George.  It's too bad you weren't able to enjoy more feeling sick and all.  Wonder if you had spent the day before walking around would have help acclimate you more than being in the museum.  I recognize that lake.  Prescott is a place we are considering relocating to.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Nothing wrong with DFL, as John M used to say, it just means you got more for your money.

Only help with altitude is to get used to it over a few days or even weeks. Not sure what you were running at, elevation wise, but dehydration is usually the biggest problem.

Surprised you were caught off guard with elevation profile. I would have guessed you were someone to study maps.

It's great that you seem to always find the Angels at the AS's to help you on your feet.

Rest up for D3, and congratulations o the finish.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

dhuffman63

Trails

Good finish! I'm the self proclaimed Queen of DFL so you're in good company .  I live in a flyover flat land state and have been to Denver twice.  First time I had a god awful headache for 3 of the 7 days I was there.  This last time I ended up throwing up the first night and then was fine.  I love that area and your pics are wonderful.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm surprised you had trouble with that kind of elevation, George.  I think the highest you get is around 6,500 feet.  I didn't really notice the elevation when I did the race, but I know you've had problems with elevation in the past, so I wonder if you're extra sensitive or if age plays a factor.  I suspect the dry air doesn't help either.

I'm sorry you had a bit of a rough time and didn't feel very well.  I can imagine how the start would be a bit of a cluster.  I purposefully was the last person to start and then hiked the big uphill (obviously I didn't care about my time - ha!)  There being very little flat was definitely true.  And that slight uphill to the finish was brutal, especially with mid-day sunshine!  But Prescott is a beautiful place to run, so hopefully you still enjoyed the scenery.

NorthernHarrier and I just had a conversation about you the other week and both agreed that you're a beast and a hell of a runner and it's awesome that you're doing these things.  Keep getting out there and having fun!  And DFL is an honor in a way.  Smile

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Prescott is a place we are considering relocating to.

Hey, me too!  Man, you just can't beat their weather...  Maybe someday.

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Only help with altitude is to get used to it over a few days or even weeks. Not sure what you were running at, elevation wise, but dehydration is usually the biggest problem.

Surprised you were caught off guard with elevation profile. I would have guessed you were someone to study maps.

Sometimes the devil is in the detail and all the little ups and downs between the low point and high point add up more than expected.  I think we started at about 6000' and reached a high of about 6700' but there was a lot more than 700' vertical in between.

I'm surprised you had trouble with that kind of elevation, George.  I think the highest you get is around 6,500 feet.  I didn't really notice the elevation when I did the race, but I know you've had problems with elevation in the past, so I wonder if you're extra sensitive or if age plays a factor.  I suspect the dry air doesn't help either.

I'm sorry you had a bit of a rough time and didn't feel very well.  I can imagine how the start would be a bit of a cluster.  I purposefully was the last person to start and then hiked the big uphill (obviously I didn't care about my time - ha!)  There being very little flat was definitely true.  And that slight uphill to the finish was brutal, especially with mid-day sunshine!  But Prescott is a beautiful place to run, so hopefully you still enjoyed the scenery.

I was surprised, too, because I haven't had that reaction before.   The only time I've had any adverse reaction to altitude, and I've been at over 11,000' in both Peru and the Sierras, was crossing a 9000' pass in the Austrian Alps.   I think moving helped because I felt a lot better during and after the race than I did the day before.  I did enjoy the scenery and may consider Black Canyon 60K next year.  It's at a somewhat lower elevation and the gain seems to be spread out more.  Besides I didn't get over to Sedona either.

2024 Races:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Besides I didn't get over to Sedona either.

Good idea.  You definitely need to get to Sedona!  It's amazing.  I'd like to go back again someday.

Running is dumb.

drock69

Nice report! Nothing wrong with walking hills, that's a big part of hilly ultras. I haven't run much at altitude, ran a bit in Banff and found it harder. Whistler Alpine Meadows went over 7,000', I didn't really notice it though and didn't stay that high for long.

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't normally pay any attention to HR data, but I was curious about where it was during the race so I finally uploaded data from my Vivoactive.  For much of the race my HR was 150 or more and it peaked at 173 which, if not my max, is close to it.

2024 Races:

T Hound

Slower but happier

Enjoyed the report. Altitude messes up your sleep too. I know your supposed to arrive and run the next day unless you have a lot of time to adapt, but I am not sure I believe it.  Those AZ races look nice.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Great job persevering and working through some tougher-than-expected conditions.  Elevation profiles can be deceptive and often don't capture all the little ups and downs that can take a toll, especially at altitude.

Nice that you were able to meet up with fnkyhd.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Great job finishing!  I like what AT said about getting your money's worth with that DFL.  Nothing wrong with that!  Yeah, altitude is so unpredictable how your body will react to it until you are there.  That and dry air is something we don't get much of in the northeast.  Like Gatsby said, glad you were able to hook up with fnky.  Rest and recover well.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

XtremeTaper

Well done on the race! Weird though, did you say there was an aid station a half mile in? That seems really odd, and that's a long stretch without aid for that distance of a race. Nice pics, and good you had time (and no pains) to see some sights afterwards.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

way to get it done George!  pictures look great- very nice area Smile

I've come to the conclusion (other than fun/adventure runs) that my "racing" is better when the distances are in the 15-20ish mile range, haven't ruled out doing longer ones in the future, but much less suffering at those distances 

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √