Trailer Trash

Putting on a race suggestions (Read 21 times)

NorthernHarrier

I mentioned in the dailies that the guy that has created and runs the place where I mt bike and ski up near my cabin wants to put on a trail race event and I'm sort of his consultant. He has about 11 miles of twisty, turrnny, up and down single track and roughly another 10-12 miles of ski trails.  He may be interested in a 50k down the line a bit but for now wants to start out with something a little smaller to get more peeps out to his venue. So if you were in charge give me your thoughts.

What distances would you offer? (we're talking 5k and 20k right now.)

Finisher bling?

Entry perk? Shirt? Hat?

Feed at the finish?

Cost?

Raffle?

Anything else you can add?

He has an awesome facility there with lots of parking.  The trails are absolute biking nirvana with the flow and also are very runnable but still with plenty of rock, roots, etc.  He has organized bike and ski events in the past and has experience in road races so not a newb. Both he and I have a disdain for the usual t-shirt given at events but realize for some it's a big deal.  We don't want to give stupid medals out just for finishing but again some people  like them.   He wants to put it on the first weekend in Oct. knowing that it is late now to do that but says it wouldn't be bad to do it this fall anyway just to get it rolling with a smaller crowd.

Any thoughts or opinions. Now is your chance to pretend to be an RD. What would you do?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I’d offer a 4K or 5k on the ski trails and a trail half marathon on the twisty trails, if that can be put together somehow.

Then I’d do finisher bling. One of the nicest (and least costly) finisher awards that I’ve received is a rock from the area, mounted on a small wooden plate, to hang on the wall. You could write the race and year on the awards with a soldering gun, or a silver or gold Sharpie. The award could also be a root, or something that represents the unique challenge of the race or trail.

Not it sure if AG awards make sense with a small crowd.

I always like the Subway subs at the finish of most Tussey Teaser runs.

Not sure about entry perks or the raffle.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

What draws me to a race is something unusual. Perhaps there is an artist in the area to make a medal that is representative of a feature or theme that could be associated with the area. One memorable one I went to,  a local artist made coffee mugs for all finishers. Another was a race on a farm that focuses on teaching farm methods to people in developing countries where using oxen andahandmade implements is high tech. They also teach the people blacksmithing to make their own farm implements. Anyhoooo...the draw for the race was a medal handmade by their blacksmith, and a picture after the race next to a real live oxen! It was fun. Maybe the RD can make a deal with Bigfoot for pictures?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Maybe the RD can make a deal with Bigfoot for pictures?

To help keep costs down I like the suggestions above for bling.  Has he given the race a name yet?  That also may feed into what to offer.

For feed at finish, it's simple for me.  Beer if you can swing it, legally (or not).  Pretty cool project.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

runtraildc

Ooh, sounds fun.  Ok, I would follow the mantra of 'what race would you like to run' and don't necessarily cater to the masses, especially in a first year. The best races I run are the low-key ones, and this series in MN is one of the best (I think). Ok, it's directed by professional RDs, but the concept is simple. No bling, maybe a token or two as giveaways from a sponsor, a raffle, and beer/pizza and soda at the finish. For $25. Every race sells out. Every race distance is different (so the 5k/20k option achieves that).

Did I mention there is usually a raffle? I love raffles. I'm not winning an AG, so it gives me hope to take home something special. I won stink-erasing laundry soap last time.

No medal.No t-shirt. Hats are good, and so are pint glasses. If there are local businesses to sell stuff that are relevant to a runner's audience or the region, that might be interesting and I'd be inclined to support (gear, farm stand, etc.).

edited to add a comment about tshirts. I actually wear a couple of  race shirts a lot, because they are quality, name brand (patagonia, under armour, north face). The others, cheap fabric-- almost never. I do have a couple cotton shirts that I also wear  a lot- not running- soft organic cotton, understated design and a women's cut. it's to the point that if I get a shirt, I prefer a nice cotton one over (cheap) tech.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This is fun....Thanks for asking our opinions.

I mentioned in the dailies that the guy that has created and runs the place where I mt bike and ski up near my cabin wants to put on a trail race event and I'm sort of his consultant. He has about 11 miles of twisty, turrnny, up and down single track and roughly another 10-12 miles of ski trails.  He maybe be interested in a 50k down the line a bit but for now wants to start out with something a little smaller to get more peeps out to his venue. So if you were in charge give me your thoughts.

What distances would you offer? (we're talking 5k and 20k right now.) 5k and anything between 10 and HM distance which is what you have in the 20k.  In future years, adding a 50k distance would be nice. 

Finisher bling? No medals but that is just me.  Whatever it is, make it unique.  Work with someone in the area to design something.  Maybe a carved pencil, or a carved ...anything really.  And I like the idea of playing off a theme or whatever you call the event.  Don't do the bigfoot thing though - IMO. 

Entry perk? Shirt? Hat? No shirt.  Hats are nice.  Really anything unique.  Actually shirts are nice if they are a tech shirt, maybe long sleeve depending on the time of year you have the race.  But the cheap cotton shirts - no thanks.  Socks are nice too!

Feed at the finish? YES! Oh you are asking what type.  Ummm....I always liked the races that did some original home cooking.  BluesCruise 50k here in PA does some nice German food.  The RD does a German theme for everything!

Cost? If you can get sponsors, that should keep the cost down.  You could always do the "t-shirt" or whatever you choose as optional that runners have to pay extra for.  I always appreciated those races and usually opt not to buy the extra item. 

Raffle? Not sure I have an opinion on that. 

Anything else you can add? I think it's always nice to see that races are giving back to the trail or local community.  So maybe a portion of the proceeds go to whatever fund or whatever local town. And don't forget about how to recruit your volunteers.  Volunteers can make or break your race.  And make sure your volunteers somewhat know the course for when runners ask them questions. 

Also, make it different and unique.  Maybe not so quirky that it turns some people off but something that makes people remember it. 

He has an awesome facility there with lots of parking.  The trails are absolute biking nirvana with the flow and also are very runnable but still with plenty of rock, roots, etc.  He has organized bike and ski events in the past and has experience in road races so not a newb. Both he and I have a disdain for the usual t-shirt given at events but realize for some it's a big deal.  We don't want to give stupid medals out just for finishing but again some people  like them.   He wants to put it on the first weekend in Oct. knowing that it is late now to do that but says it wouldn't be bad to do it this fall anyway just to get it rolling with a smaller crowd.

Any thoughts or opinions. Now is your chance to pretend to be an RD. What would you do?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

No medals.  T-shirts are hit or miss for me.  I like a good t-shirt, but so rarely get good t-shirts.  I'm kind of tired of getting pint glasses.  I would like getting a baseball type hat.  I would like getting some socks. I would like getting a hoodie (if it's a nice hoodie.)

5K and 20K sound nice for a first time event.

Beer at the finish is always a win.

Anything under $40 sounds good to me.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Well marked course, especially if you have multiple distances. If you can stagger the starts even better.

Timing and results. While I am indifferent about AG awards I do like to know where I finish overall and within my AG. AG award of something useful if you are going to give them out. Who needs a medal for such distances?

Raffles are sort of fun and keep people engaged after the finish. Assuming you can get some decent stuff donated or on the cheap.

Food/drink. Please, no bagels or bananas! I guess I am fan of grilled items and beer if you can swing it without breaking the bank. However I've done events that had beer and the good stuff seems to disappear before the longer events finish. I would not be opposed to a race that has a vendor pouring beer and charging a few bucks post race to keep your costs down. In fact, I think it's a good option.

Shirts. I like races that allow you the option to purchase one, but can imagine an RD does not want to eat the cost of shirts.

Distance. 5k seems relatively short unless you are just trying to pull in locals. 15k is rather popular around here for trail races.

Cost. $35 max

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

I have some experience as an RD and planning races. Good luck.

What distances would you offer? (we're talking 5k and 20k right now.)  5K is the local HS distance for XC, so that always works well in our area as an entry option.   If your going to do 20k, might as well just make it a Trail 1/2 Marathon.  You'll get more road people looking at that distance.

Finisher bling? Make the Hat a finishers award. You have to earn it.

Entry perk? Shirt? Hat? +1 on the Ball Caps.  A good option is to offer a Hoodie or T-Shirt at an extra cost, and find a local artist to create something.  Stone Mill sells their shirts (not included with entry) and a lot of people buy them. It keeps the enrty fee down for those who don't want or need another race shirt.

Feed at the finish?  Simple, or find a restaurant that wants to advertise and provide.  Food trucks are catching on, and are always fun (finishers get 1 ticket for food truck of their choice and pay cash after that), and local craft beers are popular around here.

Cost?  Here's the hard part. If you want sponsors, then you need T-shirts or something that gives then a bang for their buck.  If you have T-shirts, cost goes up, etc.  Our local races are typically $25-35 for 5k and $40-50 for up to 1/2 marathon.  With swag, the price goes up.

Raffle?  Always good idea, and a great way to get sponsor recognition without having to do T-shirts.

Anything else you can add?  Some people love AG awards and look for them, most could care less.  At our HS XC Fundraising race (I've help RD) we have parents bake pies and the AG winners get their choice of pies.  It started simple, but has become a huge hit.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Love the pie idea! That might just make me run faster...

I have some experience as an RD and planning races. Good luck.

What distances would you offer? (we're talking 5k and 20k right now.)  5K is the local HS distance for XC, so that always works well in our area as an entry option.   If your going to do 20k, might as well just make it a Trail 1/2 Marathon.  You'll get more road people looking at that distance.

Finisher bling? Make the Hat a finishers award. You have to earn it.

Entry perk? Shirt? Hat? +1 on the Ball Caps.  A good option is to offer a Hoodie or T-Shirt at an extra cost, and find a local artist to create something.  Stone Mill sells their shirts (not included with entry) and a lot of people buy them. It keeps the enrty fee down for those who don't want or need another race shirt.

Feed at the finish?  Simple, or find a restaurant that wants to advertise and provide.  Food trucks are catching on, and are always fun (finishers get 1 ticket for food truck of their choice and pay cash after that), and local craft beers are popular around here.

Cost?  Here's the hard part. If you want sponsors, then you need T-shirts or something that gives then a bang for their buck.  If you have T-shirts, cost goes up, etc.  Our local races are typically $25-35 for 5k and $40-50 for up to 1/2 marathon.  With swag, the price goes up.

Raffle?  Always good idea, and a great way to get sponsor recognition without having to do T-shirts.

Anything else you can add?  Some people love AG awards and look for them, most could care less.  At our HS XC Fundraising race (I've help RD) we have parents bake pies and the AG winners get their choice of pies.  It started simple, but has become a huge hit.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I think post-finish pie for everyone is better idea!  (Mostly because I love pie and I never win AG awards.)

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

I think post-finish pie for everyone is better idea!  (Mostly because I love pie and I never win AG awards.)

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

moonlightrunner

I like the hat idea...love hats...just make it one to wear running...and make the Logo awesome

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I mentioned in the dailies that the guy that has created and runs the place where I mt bike and ski up near my cabin wants to put on a trail race event and I'm sort of his consultant. He has about 11 miles of twisty, turrnny, up and down single track and roughly another 10-12 miles of ski trails.  He maybe be interested in a 50k down the line a bit but for now wants to start out with something a little smaller to get more peeps out to his venue. So if you were in charge give me your thoughts.

What distances would you offer? (we're talking 5k and 20k right now.) 10K and 30K

Finisher bling? I don't care for medals...just more trash on the earth but my last race  there was no medal and a girl we went with had medals made for all of us.  So guess it is important to some.  Maybe have a first time box and they get medals. 

Entry perk? Shirt? Hat? Socks..with the race name or logo.  or nothing I have plenty of shirts, pint glasses and hats...socks you don't see that often and are very useful.  Also  you rarely receive a singlet...so that would be nice too. 

Feed at the finish? Yes!  and Beer even if it's a donate a couple of bucks at least they have cold beer. 

Cost? Our cheap races in CA are $75.00so being new and id west can he get it done for $50?

Raffle?  No

Anything else you can add?  Start the longer race before the shorter race.  I like when races do that. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So it's settled - Pies should be your finishing medal! Better make friends with the locals - that may be a lot of pies to be baked.

Seriously though, how cool would that be to get a pie if you finish the race?!?!