Trailer Trash

Traveling Tuesdaily (Read 35 times)

Sandy-2

On the road again...  After 24 hours of traveling I crashed at the hotel last night and got about 8 hours of sleep, then I did a very nice early city run to get over the jetlag this morning.  I won't rub it in too much, but it was about 55* F here this morning.  Sunny and very nice.  It's rough attending business meetings, but someone's gotta do it.  ;-)

Oh yeah, I did 6 miles this morning.

Not as nice a mtwardian's photos from Sunday... but I took these this morning.  Stay warm everyone.

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Sandy, you are lucky to visit wonderful cities. Rome is one of my favorites! However, running there must be tricky, with all the traffic, which is chaotic there. Where did you run?

-10 out here in the boonies, but warming up. School is delayed (I wonder how they are getting the buses to run at these temperatures?), so I hope I'll have enough time for a run when the kids are out of the house.

I did a very nice evening run after work yesterday, up the mountain through one of my favorite valleys. In winter, this valley can be very cold, as it is isolated, and all the cold air coming down from the surrounding mountains pools there without a chance to warm up in the sun.

The temperature was 10 degrees when I started. At the trailhead, I met a photographer who had just come down the mountain - he was all iced up and freezing cold.

The way up started out easy, packed snow on the narrow path, but as I got up, the path got narrower, and the snow deeper. While running on an 8-inch wide path with foot-high "walls" is already difficult (or am I the only one finding this  tricky?), running uphill in over-ankle-high, heavy snow, breaking in and falling down into knee-high snow at almost every step is very exhausting. I made it up all the way (3+ miles), walking the last half mile, losing the path at times (no tracks, no markings), walking through the woods until I found the path again. Once again I was asking myself how I could have possibly gotten myself into this - again... 

But at the same time, it was fun, and I enjoyed the red light of the sinking sun.

Going down, I picked up the pace where it was possible, as I did not have a light, and I did not know how full the moon would be. Visibility was ok with the snow, but as I got deeper into the valley and the forest, it got darker quickly. Temperatures had dropped well into the single digits, I guess somewhere between 4 and 6 degrees, and I was happy to have chosen my heavy mittens instead of the light gloves. My feet, however, were slowly freezing into ice clumps, and the frostnip hurt quite a bit.

Luckily, it got a bit warmer toward the trailhead, the path turned packed snow again, and my feet warmed up soon.

I arrived at the car just as it got almost too dark to run without a light. I had really enjoyed that run.

Most surprisingly to me, I'm not even a bit sore today.

Planning on 8-10 later.

Run for fun.

Marley and I had a great 2 mile trail run. It was good to be out  again despite the cold and the rough trail conditions. It was a brisk 3 F at the trailhead.  Marley probably had worse cabin fever than I did, but we both were really missing the trails these last several days.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I rode the stationary bike last night.  Will get out for a run tonight....route and distance tbd.

Couch - that sounds like a good run/slog but also sounds a little dangerous.  Does DH ask you where you are going when you run - especially since you have many options?

QOTD: If you had to pick:

1.) Colder winter temps than normal if meant a cooler summer

or

2.) Warmer winter temps than normal and hotter more humid than normal summer

OR if you are a lucky one that lives in the regions that are fairly nice all year, which of the above would you pick if you lived in another part of the country?

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I would pick #1.  I can deal with the colder winter.  I would love cooler summers.  I cannot stand running (or doing much of anything) in hot humid weather. I could never live in the south (FL, AL, etc.) - maybe the southwest though where it is drier.

Sandy - 55 deg sounds about perfect.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.  You certainly are getting around.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I'll do 10 or so after work.

Sandy: Be careful. Those Italians aren't known for their safe driving.

QOTD: What is the weather like to today where you are?

Rained last night and got down to about 34*F. It should break off with sun this afternoon and reach 50. I can't complain. Tomorrow is wash out.

Sorry Boyjame, I didn't see your QOTD... I would take #1

LB2

runtraildc

Morning!  I hope to get out today and do some walking in this cold sunshine.  Running is out of the question still as this cold is all in my sinuses. not pleasant, but it too shall pass.

TT- good to hear that you got out there this morning!

qotd:  Oh, this is easy.  Definitely #1.  I tolerate the DC summers and have acclimated enough to be able to run.  However, when I've traveled further south, especially in the summer, I am boggled with how people live with the heat and humidity.   One summer while visiting Houston, another runner tried to convince me that running at noon (in the shade) at 95*  was much better than early in the am.   I had a hard time believing her, but after a miserable 6 am run, I couldn't imagine that it could be any worse.  Sandy-- is this true? 

XtremeTaper

The Lady and I ran 4.5 miles last night on the ice trails of Monocacy Hill. We took a shortcut on our normal 5 mile loop as the trail conditions were pretty rugged (rutted footprinted ice) and well after racing Sunday it seemed the prudent thing to do. Plus we ran the same time or worse than the regular time on the 5 mile loop anyway! Today, likely just some miles on the road at lunchtime. I can use a break from the ice today.

QOTD(s): Option 2... warmer winter and summer. I don't mind the heat at all. I hate being cold. Yes, I should move. As for the weather here today, brisk and sunny. I believe we will be back in the 20's without much wind. Shorts weather again.

Sandy - I get exhausted thinking about all those flights and time changes you go through. I guess the running is a great help to adjusting.

Couch - I enjoyed reading about your run. Nice post!

Trail Tromper - Good to read you are feeling better and getting Marley his miles!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

FTYC: I'm staying right next to Villa Borghese Park and sort of zig-zagged my way to the Colosseum. Then ran around there a bit and zig-zagged my way back.  I cheated though, had my phone with me (mapmyrun) so it was very easy to navigate and go in the general direction I wanted.

boyjame: 55* was nice.  Yeah I'm still traveling a bit.  I thought I was going to be "locked" in Asia for a while, but it seems they have other plans. I am headed back to Texas for a week or so after this so that is nice.

LB2: Agree, I was cracking up at the way my taxi driver was driving last night going 50mph down these tiny streets.  The Italians make the Korean drivers look good.  That's why I went for my run very early this morning (which is what I normally do on city runs), the streets were basically empty.

qotd 1: I'll go with 1), cooler is always better. runtrailcd, in Houston you have to pick your poison, either run in the morning when it is a little cooler but with 100% humidity, or later in the day when it is hotter with "only" 60 to 70% humidity. I always go with the early morning option, which is also what the "heat index" would tell you.

qotd 2: very nice, although a bit cloudy.

tbd.

For me definitely choice #1.  I actually like cold weather and only tolerate hot weather.  Then again it never gets much below 0 F here.  Maybe I'd feel differently if the lived somewhere actual temperatures got way below 0 F frequently.

One summer while visiting Houston, another runner tried to convince me that running at noon (in the shade) at 95*  was much better than early in the am.   I had a hard time believing her, but after a miserable 6 am run, I couldn't imagine that it could be any worse.  Sandy-- is this true? 

I guess I will learn more about this when I am moved to Tallahassee, but my approach a lot of the time has been to try to get out early enough that the sun is not a factor.  That means running in the dark sometimes.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm back!        Plane dropped me off in Milwaukee yesterday afternoon and I just about died leaving the airport.  Going from 70s to single digits is a shock to the system.  And now it's snowing.  F$*#^#^$%CK!  Welcome home, indeed.  My last run was in shorts and a t-shirt and I was crusted in salt when I was done.  I have off work today, so I'd like to get in 8-10 miles or so, depending.  Tights, beanie, jacket...sigh.

Maybe I'll write up a little mini-RR for the 22K that I did, but maybe not.  I got to meet FSocks (who posts around here occasionally), so that was super fun.  The course was absolutely gorgeous and I had a fantastic time.

Sandy -- great photos!  Enjoy your time in Rome!

QOTD: I'll echo XT's answer of #2.  I also need to move.

Running is dumb.

sugnim

Good morning all.  GI issues derailed my morning run again.  This does not make me happy.

QOTD 1: Colder winters and cooler summers are what I prefer.  I grew up in Southern CA, and I hated the constant heat.  I can remember some Christmas days growing up when it was in the 90's.  Yuck.

QOTD 2: It's currently 19 degrees in Missoula, partly cloudy.  I think it's supposed to get up to 40 today, which is warm for this time of year.  They are predicting snow tomorrow, but I don't think it will happen.  Winter seems to have shut off at the start of February.

Sandy: cool pics!  Have you found any great places to run in Rome?

Daydreamer1

Planning on 5-10 sometime this afternoon. Hopefully it's closer to 10, but it kind of depends on how cold and/or windy it is. The cold isn't so bad if it's calm.

QOTD:  Good question.  I don't deal with the humidity of summer very well. At the same time the cold has really started to bother me more the last 7-8 years, especially for my hands and feet.  If it was a cold winter that only lasted 8-10 weeks, then went into a nice spring, I'd probably take the colder winter and cooler summer.  However, since colder winters are often longer winters with cool, windy springs, I may just decide to put up with the heat and humidity of summer. In that case I'd run more in the winter and switch to the bike for the summer since, for some reason, the humidity doesn't bother me as much on the bike.  Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.  How about I go with #3. Live in an area that is in the foothills but close enough to the mountains so that the winter is warmer.  Then when the heat and humidity hits in the summer I can head for the mountains.  The one place I can think of that fits that is Eastern Tenn. DW and I have talked about moving to Townsend Tenn area just because of that.

But if I have to stay where I'm at and pick between just #1 or #2. It would probably be #2. I find that I can still run long in the hot weather, it just takes me a lot longer.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Have 5 miles planned for lunch with the old running partner...haven't ran with her in a while...  miss her   Yesterdays run was good...nice coolness that allows me to run without getting too sweaty when I return to work.

QOTD:  #3 I'm still cool with a hot summer and warmer winters...which is what I have here.  But given that is not an option I will take #2 I don't mind the humidity too much when I am in Michigan.  It's great for your skin.  QOTD2:  Sunny and 50's.

Sandy:  Very cool pics..even if it is a city.  I love Italian man...send pictures!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Had a nice weekend in Chincoteague.  Weather was brutally cold and the Intercoastal Waterway was frozen over which hardly ever happens in the Chincoteague Bay.  Ran 10 Saturday and 5 Sunday.

Sunset of the Frozen ICW

Today was going for 22 and ended at 16 miles. 4 degrees when I started and warmed up a little bit but the wind picked up after an hour.  Water in my line froze and I had to stop a few times to drink directly from the bladder.  The second time I did this, I spilled water all over my right glove, and mentally I lost it, so I cut off at an early section and headed for the car.  Ran back to the car with hands in my jacket pockets.

XT - Nice finish at Chilly Cheeks.  I saw a few pictures on FB and you made the cut.  Hardly recognized you with a shirt on.

TT - Glad you are feeling better.

Sandy - Nice pics, keep 'em coming.

QOTD:  Even after today, I'd chose #1.  I don;t run well in the heat and humidity.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!