Trailer Trash

MIld Monday (Read 20 times)

LB2

5 tempo miles this morning. I am quite pleased with a quick recovery from that long run on Thursday. I took Sunday off and painted my middle daughter's bedroom for her. She was the supervisor, and supervise she did.

QOTD: How often do you race in a year?

I will generally only run one 100 mile race in a year. I will sometimes run a 50 mile or 100K race 6 to 8 weeks out from a 100 mile race. So, maybe twice.

I asked this question because someone who is also running Pinhoti this year ran a 100 mile race this past weekend, 33 days out. I asked him if he thought that would be enough time for recovery. He responded, "Iffy." To me, that is too close together. I have run 100 mile races and paced someone for 40 miles two weeks later, and I had no problem with that. But I would not want to run 100 miles again that soon.

LB2

runtraildc

Happy Monday, folks! Mostly rest daty monday here. I'll get out for a couple of miles and do some yoga, which is badly needed.

qotd: I'm mostly running 5-13 mile races, so there's no comparison to any ultra distance, let alone a 100. For me, it's about once a month or so, and I've been doing more club races lately, where the cost is low (or free). And unless it's a new or goal race, I don't travel far (meaning more than 30 minutes).

Daydreamer1

31.2 miles on the bike yesterday afternoon.  DW put a real hurting on me. For some reason I wasn't feeling very well at all. Any real effort left me feeling like I was climbing a 40% grade. Then my right foot started really hurting. Not sure if I have a bruise on the ball of the foot or if something more is going on. It's typical to have a lot of discomfort in the left leg and foot but never the right.

Today is a rest day due to being at work.

QOTD:  Without going back and carefully counting I would say that since  starting running I've been doing about 3-4 races a year. This year was on the low side as I think I only ended up doing two. Really wanted to do a fall 50k but that won't happen. Don't know what happened but somehow my life has gotten too complicated and busy.  Haven't been on the trails near as much as I would have liked to be.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning!  I got nothing.

QOTD: None anymore.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

DD - your wife has an electric bike, right?  What does she have?  My mom is thinking about getting one.

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So far 1.1 miles running home after dropping off my car for inspection.

qotd: seems like 8-10 races in recent years, maybe a few more if I run some local 5Ks, a far cry from the 25-45 races per year when I concentrated more on the track events and 5Ks.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

Chilly here this morning. Low 40's, but bright and sunny and milder later. Walked with the Lady yesterday at Coventry Woods, maybe 3.5 miles plus another mile later with the both dogs. Similar story today. Broken record.

QOTD: Typically a half dozen races per year, but only 2 or 3 ultras. I like to do some of the shorter trails races offered around here, typically 15k-25k distances. So far this year only 4 races, 12 hour, 50k, 100miler, and 15k. I don't see any more in my future this year.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I did not get out of bed this morning when the alarm went off so I will run later.  I may go to the gym too. 

Mandy: Good "see" you!

Did you guys hear/see about the Vegas shooting.  It's crazy to think that so far the shooter is just an everyday average guy as described by his brother.  I am sure a mental health diagnosis will emerge from somewhere though.  When are we going to learn that we live in an evil world?

QOTD: None yet this year but jumped into a 50k in 5 weeks...  Once I am done with schooling, I hope to ramp up the races but will still likely only run 3-4 in a year.  It gets costly and more than that, the travel time takes away from family time.  I haven't decided what I would like to do next year but I sure hope my schooling is done by then!

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Did you guys hear/see about the Vegas shooting.  It's crazy to think that so far the shooter is just an everyday average guy as described by his brother.  I am sure a mental health diagnosis will emerge from somewhere though.  When are we going to learn that we live in an evil world?

What a terrible thing. I imagine some mental health diagnosis will eventually emerge. I think someone really has to be mentally deranged to do something like that. We have had these random shootings going on around here this summer, but they are not like this. There was a guy, former Eagle Scout, who was arrested a few weeks ago. He was going around targeting black people and doing drive-by shootings. Then, there have been three people shot in my area, which is very rural. Those were also drive-by shootings. Two people have been killed, and one was wounded. I knew the first guy who got shot in his front yard in July, and I knew the second guy who was only wounded. The third guy, who was also killed, worked with my father in law at Exxon for years. Anyway, some say this is retaliation for the drive-by shootings that targeted black people. People are crazy. I don't know that they are retaliation, and I don't know that they are necessarily related. But I know people are crazy.

I wonder if the world has gotten more evil, or if it is just that we have so much more access to information? I can think of times in history that were probably more brutal, but we have an increased population and access to more information than we can process.

LB2

Gator eye

Knee feels better today, at least it will bend. Its a start

QOTD: usually 3 to 4 but with one a travel destination but this year I can't stay healthy

Vegas is a terrible mess. I'm a hunter and have more than my far share of guns but I question the need for the public to be able to own theae military guns. I still question the CCW laws. I just see to many unstable people out there all packing

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran 17 miles with the group yesterday.  Actually we had 13 planned and I kinda thought about added a bit.  Then Ted says he is going to run back out to add some miles so I mention to him there is a nice 4 mile loop right there and he should do that all the time thinking I really should run it with him.  So he asks and I said yes...another friend came along too.  Glad I did that since I have a 24 mile run planned in two weeks in Desolation Wilderness.  Today is SRD.  Gym at lunch as I have fallen off that routine.

QOTD:  I would say four....but that is signing up for a race not really RACING.

GatorEye:  thanks for the dig yesterday   glad to see the training style worked for you, sub 9 hour 50 miler, wow! .  and you can't blame the knee on my training program.

It's Monday when I usually have a cheer leader attitude about how I am going to change around my life.  Gators comment yesterday Queen's training program of to little to late  gave me a chuckle since I do start every Monday with a this week I will be better   so this Monday I can barely breath in the pants I put on...sooo more consistent running and gym visits.  Write down everything I eat to keep track and lastly---cut down on the beer.

Vegas:  It totally sucks, WTF is the matter with people.  Why do they think killing someone makes them more important.  I feel bad for anyone who's life is taken from them. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

DD - your wife has an electric bike, right?  What does she have?  My mom is thinking about getting one.

She has a Raleigh one. I think it is the Detour with the step through frame. This one has the assist only feature so she has to pedal to get it to go. It has three assist levels.  Some of them can have a actual throttle installed so you don't have to even pedal.  The biggest thing she doesn't like about it is that it has a little too much of an upright riding position which actually makes it harder for a smaller person with short leg to get up on it.   The assist kicks out at 20 MPH.

On a good day I can keep up with her. If It's a bad day I don't stand a chance even when she uses it on the lowest setting.

Daydreamer1

Vegas: As the President said, at least what was reported that he said, this was just pure evil. Unfortunately it seems that evil is getting more and more prevalent in this society.  While we want to blame it on the guns and their availability I feel that's totally misdirected.  People have it within themselves to be either good or evil. For the last several decades we have been allowing our society to degrade it's standards of behavior.

If there is a large amount of blame to go anywhere it should be placed first  at the feet of the media. They are constantly trying whip everyone into a frenzy about every issue.  I quit listening to talk radio back in the 90s for that reason, now even the "mainstream" news is that way. They spin everything in an effort to inflame emotions.  The mentally unstable and over passionate decide to go off the deep end and things like this happen.  Several days ago I think LB2 posted that it seems everyone is mad about something and I said to quit listening to the media because the want it that way. They want everyone to hate each other and not get along.  I stand on that.

Clunk, clunk, clunk.................plod, plod, plod......................................DD puts away his soapbox and shuffles off the stage.

Please resume your regular programing.

Sandy-2

Vegas: Heart goes out the the victims and families/friends.  I am so sick and tired of this same story.  Automatic weapons and high capacity clips (and whatever somebody needs to convert a gun to automatic mode, including the internet instructions on how to do it) needs to be totally banned - end of debate.  I think most hunters would agree that they don't use high capacity and auto or semi-auto mode to hunt, and I don't buy the militia crap about being prepared in case the government tries to go all Handmaids-tale on us.  I also don't buy the whole arms-race mentality of arming the general citizenry to fight against a gunman. Also you can talk all you want about the real issue being mental stability of people, but the fact remains that without auto or semi-auto weapons less people would have died last night.  Maybe the videos with all of the audio of the automatic fire from last night will be a turning point.  (Sorry, calming exhale taken.)

I ended up doing 6 yesterday, slow and easy.  Today is a SRD but will do core stuff tonight.

qotd: I typically sign up for around three a year, two in the 26.2 to 50 mi range and a hundred.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

No run today.

Got to work and saw on FB the a grad school friend had checker herself as "Safe in Vegas".  Looked at her FB page, and she was at the concert.  She live near Vegas, and had posted a picture while it was still light out.

Almost exactly 1 year ago, DW and I stayed at Madalay Bay on our way out to Trailfest.

Queen - I'm with you. With my drop in running, I forgot to drop my calories (and craft beer consumption). I cracked the 200 lb mark last Friday, that's 14 pounds since my 48hr race. 

QOTD:  1-2 big races and maybe a few others thrown in.  rather have adventures than races, now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!