Trailer Trash

First Day Monday (Read 19 times)

LB2

First day of class is today, three days late because of the flood. I ran 4.2 this morning.

QOTD: Do you have a tip related to running today?

If your running clothes have developed "permastink", you can do the following in an attempt to save them:

1. Wash them in Pine Sol.

2. Then, wash them in regular detergent.

I got this tip as a result of the flooding. The water came up so fast, and during the night, that lots of people lost things they would normally be able to save. It seems to have worked. I have an Under Armour shirt that I was reluctant to throw out even though it started to stink as soon as I put it on my body. I did this process Saturday, and I ran in it this morning. I had no problem at all.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I recovered well after our long hot wet run yesterday. Today is a SRD, and wouldn't you know it's one of the nicest days of the summer. Almost no humidity.  Maybe a walk later. Hopefully tomorrow will be the same.

Congratulations to all the weekend racers and pacers. Hope Gator had a nice race.

QOTD:  2 best tips I've used for long races (and probably got off of RWOL forum or Ultralist)

1) Change your socks before you think you need to, and save your feet.

2) Grab your headlight before you think you need it just in case things get slower than you plan.

LB - I throw out my old shirts when they get too funky. But I buy really cheap shirts at the outlets. (Just got 5 shirts for $15 at Adidas Outlet.) Will have to try the Pine Sol trick since the expensive athletic detergent doesn't work as well as advertised.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

6.5 miles to get to work and 6.5 miles home for 13 miles for the day.

As I was going home I had to run through a car accident, look like three cars were smashed pretty bad with a bunch of fire trucks and police there, hopefully everybody safe.

LB2  I hope you are safe from the flooding!

QOTD  in the wintertime I carry  disposable gloves like the doctor uses.  They are great for everything from toilet paper, to ear muffs and even gloves if I need them.

LB2

We are safe, but it was tough...

https://youtu.be/j2VxCPvyyok

LB2

XtremeTaper

I had a decent weekend of running but nothing too long. About 11-12 miles both days. Saturday's run was Nolde Forest trails and Sunday was down in Fair Hill MD. Lots of horse encounters yesterday. The Lady as always was well behaved. A light breeze blowing today, bright blue skies, and the humidity is dropping for a few days. Should be pleasant conditions for 7-8 miles this evening at the lake.

QOTD: Keep a steady base year round. It makes ramping up so much easier.

LB2 - Did you get flooded as well? I've also found a product my wife buys called Odor Ban does the trick too. Soak in odor ban for a few hours, then wash.

AT - Last few ultras I have not had any sock change, though pretty dry races. LH in 2015 was a bit muddy but my feet were fine. I do pack that headlamp early though... always! I was nervous this year toward the end of loop3 at Mohican. While I had my headlamp I did not have a backup light source with me. I did have one for loop4. So a backup is good too.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

LB2 - Did you get flooded as well? I've also found a product my wife buys called Odor Ban does the trick too. Soak in odor ban for a few hours, then wash.

We are high. But it was all around us. I have to go the long way around to work because some roads are still closed. They will probably be closed for months.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Rest day today and kicking myself because, as AT said, it is a gorgeous day. Kids are off at their first days of school.  Need to try and settle in on the school routine again - which means having to work Fridays  again.

QOTD: When shoes are wet, stick newspaper in them, change at about 20 minutes.  Gets them nice and dry and keeps them from stinking so much.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Howdy everyone. Fresh back from our short vacation which wasn't anywhere near long enough. Did a lot of driving.  Went to central Michigan, stopped for the night then left the next morning for Copper Harbor, taking DW's sister and husband along. That was another long day of driving. Thursday was spent prowling around on the Keweenaw peninsula, then Friday we headed back to central MI. Saturday was a rest day then yesterday we headed back with a detour in OH to see DW's brother. I love driving but this trip was long on driving and short on relaxation and play time. Didn't run a bit, not one friggin step .

FTYC - Glad to see you posting some again. We missed you.

QOTD:  Don't put too much stock in other people's tips .

That's just my way of saying that what works for one may not work for another. Read a lot and consider what others have to say. If it sounds good you may want to try it but if it doesn't work for you don't get discouraged or label the tipster as a moron, it just may be that your body is different from theirs. I've tried many things over the years. Some have worked, some haven't. I'll continue to try new things  based on peoples tips.

Lately I've been running into more people who are giving a lot of diet and exercise advice but are really, really out of shape and/or very large.  Is it a new season for fad diets and exercise programs?

LB2 - I'm going to try the Pine Sol trick next time I have  item that stinks too much to wear but I don't want to throw out.

runtraildc

An hour walk at sunrise with my MIL.  She's 76 and walks far and briskly every day.  59* and low humidity. In other words, perfect.  Will run 4 or 5 on the trails in the valley park nearby later on.

Qotd: yoga.  Even my teen boys have started to recognize thereight be some merit to it and XC.  And I have to try the lysol trick.  I'm picky about my shirts and I have a well loved under armour shirt that has low grade perms stink.

LB2

Qotd: yoga.  Even my teen boys have started to recognize thereight be some merit to it and XC.  And I have to try the lysol trick.  I'm picky about my shirts and I have a well loved under armour shirt that has low grade perms stink.

Pine Sol. I don't know what Lysol will do.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Pine Sol. I don't know what Lysol will do.

From my experience Lysol didn't do much for Permastink.

Daydreamer1

Never tried Yoga but did some with it's cousin Pilates. Works wonderful if only I could reprogram my mind to do it regularly.

As far as the teen boys seeing the merits of Yoga goes, are you sure they are seeing the merits of the improvements in performance or the merits of taking Yoga classes with the young ladies ?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Just didn't have it in me today...was tired and had run 7 days last week which is a lot for me but since the old man is gone I have to take the dogs out before locking them in the house all day.  So planned on doing a long walk warm up because my heel had a lot of pain.  As we entered the woods Earl went right instead of left so I just went with it and decided to walk them.  It was pleasant.

QOTD:  At a race run in the present.  If you start thinking about your finish (time, food, beer, sitting down) it makes the run harder.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dpc3

Dragging ass but got in 4 with pearl in the early am. Spent the weekend out at the soccer complex with the Boy so my miles over the weekend weren't great. I have 3 big weeks on the books so I am hoping to get some rest and run miles, that's doable right!

QOTD: I got nothing but I like your tip LB.

Sandy-2

Took a SRD yesterday and today (Tues) I'll do 5 or 6 after work.  Here's a photo of the beach we go to. It's about 5 mi from our apt so sometimes I do an out-n-back to it. The "small hill" I sometimes refer to is in the background. The path goes over to the left near that bald spot and follows the coast around.

qotd: when doing ultras, keep your head in the game and don't give up. But at the same time only think about getting to the next aid station or up the next climb, not the whole thing left to do.

tbd.