Trailer Trash

Bleh!!! It is Monday (Read 42 times)

LB2

I may run this evening. It depends on several things coming together, and those don't look good. My quads are a little sore today anyway. So a rest day may be good.

QOTD: I know it is winter and all, but what is the appropriate action if bitten by a rattlesnake or other poisonous snake when you are several miles from a vehicle in rugged terrain?

I am not sure. I guess you should move slowly as quickly as possible to get out and hope for the best. But there must be some protocol that would be advised by experts. I just don't know what it might be.

LB2

Occasional Runner

Just got back from a 10 miler down to the beach. My turnover was a bit slow because I've done too much speed work this week. Gotta take advantage of it when I'm on flat ground at sea level.

I'm very happy to have been selected to run for Team Aravaipa in 2014. They have a great race team and I think we'll have a lot of fun. Plus...it takes care of a lot of my race fees for next year. Between that and my sponsors, I won't have many expenses for next year.

QOTD: Bend over, stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

Sandy-2

Going to do about 5 after work today.  I think we're supposed to get close to 80* today.  But it's supposed to cool off for the Coyote 100 next weekend so that's good.

LB2: hope everything aligns and you can get out later.  But rest is also good, I took yesterday off.  I think that was my first weekend day off in a long long time.  Felt good.

lace_up: You're supposed to be tapering...   congrats on the Team Aravaipa gig.

qotd: I think I remember from my Boy Scout days that you are supposed to make a tourniquet...  but lace-Up's advice is probably more realistic.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

muppy

Did 5ish last night and plan on  5ish on some hilly trails later.

Kelly, congrats on the new team!

QOTD I'm not really sure but might help to pour water over it, also think I read somewhere u should walk not run after snakebite because running pump more blood faster. However i'll also wait for an expert!

Morning,

I'm planning on running to the bank and back during lunch. Probably will get in around 5 miles.  I am still in a post-race funk but I think that will go away with a few more runs this week.

QOTD: I have no idea.

LB2

Lace: Congrats on the team deal. Now, rest please.

Sandy: We are looking at a 40% chance of showers on Saturday, low of 37 and a high of 44.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm moving my strength training to tomorrow and running 6 miles this evening, tomorrow's high is forecasted at 8 and then drops from thereRoll eyes

qotd:

• If a person is bitten by a snake that could be poisonous, act swiftly. The definitive treatment for serious snake venom poisoning is the administration of antivenom. The most important aspect of therapy is to get the victim to an appropriate medical facility as quickly as possible.
                • Don’t panic. Most bites, even by venomous snakes, do not result in medically significant envenomations. Reassure the victim and keep him from acting in an energy-consuming, purposeless fashion.
                • Retreat out of the striking range of the snake, which for safety’s sake should be considered to be the snake’s body length (for pit vipers, it is actually approximately half the body length). A rattlesnake can strike at a speed of 8 ft (2.4 m) per second.
                • Locate the snake. If possible, identify the species. If you cannot do this with confidence (which is really only important for the Mojave rattlesnake and coral snake), you might be able photograph the snake using a digital camera, but be careful. Do not attempt to capture or kill the snake, for fear of wasting time and perhaps provoking another bite. Never delay transport of the victim to capture a snake. If the snake is dead, take care to handle it with a very long stick or shovel, and to carry the dead animal in a container that will not allow the head of the snake to bite another victim (the jaws can bite in a reflex action for up to 90 minutes after death). If you are not sure how to collect the snake, it is best just to get away from it.
                • Splint the bitten body part to avoid unnecessary motion. Allow room for swelling within the splint. Maintain the bitten arm or leg in a position of comfort. Remove any jewelry that could become an inadvertent tourniquet.
                • Transport the victim to the nearest hospital.
                • Do not apply ice directly to the wound or immerse the part in ice water. An ice pack placed over the wound (as one would do for a sprain) is of no proven value to retard absorption of venom, but may be useful for pain control. Application of extreme cold can cause an injury similar to frostbite, and possibly lead to enough tissue loss to require amputation.
                • Application of the Extractor Pump is at best controversial, and is no longer recommended by snakebite experts.The manufacturer claims that if the device is applied according to the instructions provided, it can remove venom without the need for a skin incision. Animal research appears to refute this notion, and even to suggest that by using the device for a rattlesnake bite, it might cause concentration of tissue-toxic venom under the suction cup, leading to a more severe reaction.
                • If the victim is more than 2 hours from medical attention, and the bite is on an arm or leg, one may use the pressure immobilization technique: place a 2 in by 2 in (5 cm by 5 cm) cloth pad over the bite and apply an elastic wrap firmly around the involved limb directly over the padded bite site with a margin of at least 4 to 6 in (10 to 15 cm) on either side of the wound, taking care to check for adequate circulation in the fingers and toes (normal pulses, feeling, and color). An alternative method is to simply wrap the entire limb at the described tightness with an elastic bandage. The wrap is meant to impede absorption of venom into the general circulation by containing it within the compressed tissue and microscopic blood and lymphatic vessels near the limb surface. You should then splint the limb to prevent motion. If the bite is on a hand or arm, also apply a sling. It should be noted that this recommendation is controversial, in that some experts believe that localizing venom in a single area might lead to an increased chance for tissue damage.
                • An alternative to the pressure immobilization technique is a constriction band (not a tourniquet) wrapped a few inches closer to the heart than the bite marks on the bitten limb. This should be applied tightly enough to only occlude the superficial veins and lymph passages. To gauge tightness, the rescuer should be able to slip one or two fingers under the band, and normal pulses should be present. The band may be advanced periodically to stay ahead of the swelling. It is of questionable usefulness if 30 minutes have intervened between the time of the bite and the application of the constriction band (or pressure immobilization technique). Again, this recommendation is controversial, for the reasons mentioned in the previous paragraph.
                • The impression of most snakebite experts is that incision and suction are of little value and probably should be abandoned. It appears that little venom can actually be removed from the bite site. Furthermore, the incision may set the stage for inoculation of bacteria, infection, and a poorly healing wound. Mouth contact with the incision may cause a nasty infection that leaves a noticeable scar; there is also the risk of transmission of blood-borne disease to the rescuer.
                • “Snakebite medicine” (whiskey) is of no value and may actually be harmful if it increases circulation to the skin.
                • There is no scientific evidence that electrical shocks applied to snakebites are of any value. On the contrary, there are experiments that refute this concept.
                • The bite wound should be washed vigorously with soap and water, and the victim treated with dicloxacillin, erythromycin, or cephalexin.
                • If the victim is many hours or days from a hospital, assist him to walk out or arrange for a litter rescue, allowing frequent rest periods and adequate oral hydration. Splinting and positioning (e.g., elevating or lowering) the bitten part are secondary to any effort to reach a facility where antivenom can be administered.
                • Watch for an allergic reaction caused by the snakebite. This might cause the victim to be short of breath with or without an airway obstruction from swelling of the mouth, tongue, and throat. Once the victim is in the hospital, the severity of envenomation will be ascertained, and the victim treated with antivenom if necessary. Such therapy must be carried out under the supervision of a physician, because serious allergic reactions to antivenom are possible.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I can't seem to force myself up before 5 lately, not sure but I know I don't want to really run in the dark right now..... and I don't know why. Thanks to not getting up until 5:30, Rocky and I didn't get to the trails until 6:20 and we only had time for 4.3 miles as I have to get back to the house by or before 7:30. Surprisingly it was an enjoyable run, fast too which I wasn't expecting with the soreness I've been feeling. I am going to stretch and foam roll today just to get rid of as much soreness and tightness as I can. Tomorrow Rocky and I have another 1 mile to run as part of our Running Streak - so far I am on track!

qotd: I don't think I've got anything to worry about where I live and run, they're pretty rare here.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I've run once in the 2+ weeks since Stone Mill.  I have been sick sick sick.  I haven't been this sick in years...possibly not since before I started running in 2008.  I have been eating Ibuprfen like candy to deal with an aweful throat pain.  As a result I apparently did not realize that I hurt my left knee at Stone Mill.  But I think it's a nice case of tendonitis.  So even when I get healthy (fingers crossed that is soon), not sure what kind of running I can do.  So basically this all just sucks.

QOTD: see above...

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Morning!  Got in a quick treadmill run and a strength workout at the gym last night.  younger DS promised he'd go for a run tonight with me, so it might be a two parter-- 2 miles with him, 4 solo.  We'll see.  Weather's nice in these parts.  Need to take advantage of it and get the garden cleaned up and bulbs planted.

Jamie-- that's a long illness.  Have you gone in for a strep test?  (see 'awful sore throat')

have a good day, trailers!

sugnim

Good morning all.  I got in a paltry mile in the neighborhood this morning as part of my holiday running streak.  It's not much, but it counts, and it's a mile more than I would have ordinarily done on a dark Monday morning with cold, slushy rain coming down.

QOTD:  I have no idea.  If I had my phone, I'd lay down and call for help.  If I was with someone, I'd lay down and wait for them to get help.  If I was all alone and had no phone, I'd try to make it to some help, but might die trying I guess.  If I could quickly kill the snake & bring it with me for identification, I might do that.  But, I don't know what the correct answer is.  This is just what I'd imagine I would do.

AT-runner

Tim

Opening day of deer season, so looks like road running for the next week or so.  Short run planned at lunch break.

QOTD:  See mtwarden. Only thing I cold add would be research what snakes are in the area before you go out.  We only have timber rattlers and copperheads   The rattlers area at least kind enough to announce their presence.  They say most bites in PA are dry bites, but I don't wish to test that theory out.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning!  Got in a quick treadmill run and a strength workout at the gym last night.  younger DS promised he'd go for a run tonight with me, so it might be a two parter-- 2 miles with him, 4 solo.  We'll see.  Weather's nice in these parts.  Need to take advantage of it and get the garden cleaned up and bulbs planted.

Jamie-- that's a long illness.  Have you gone in for a strep test?  (see 'awful sore throat')

have a good day, trailers!

No but I know it's not strep.  I have lots of experience in the past and can tell the difference. Having said that...it is taking too long.  But yesterday and today I feel semi normal.  Thanks for asking .

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Afternoon all,

I'm going to make more of an effort to post my daily plan so that I have a little accountability.

I plan on running a nice and easy 4-6 miles this evening.  Quads are a little sore from running a 5k on Saturday.

According to Fedex tracking my bike rollers (ride in place!) arrived today, so I'm sure I will be messing around with that and trying not to break the house.

Boyjame: Have you tried tylenol sore throat (liquid stuff)?  I swear by it...instant relief.  It's just ibuprofen, but relieves right away.

QOTD: Call someone from my cell phone?  "Remote" is not near me so I don't sweat stuff like that.  I do carry a good amount of first aid supplies when I'm going anywhere hydration pack worthy.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

According to Fedex tracking my bike rollers (ride in place!) arrived today, so I'm sure I will be messing around with that and trying not to break the house.

If you've never spent much time on rollers, you should definitely get somebody to make a video of you when you first get on them.