Trailer Trash

Ascension Thursdaily (Read 33 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Happy Ascension Day, had to look it up, my Catholic nuns from my youth would not be happy   going to get some hill work in this evening and very appropriately at Mt Ascension!

qotd: state of the health report?  knock on wood still healthy and no recent injuries (minor achilles issue a couple of weeks ago that went away)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning trail peeps! I will get in a run tonight - distance to be determined but probably around 5.

mtwarden - enjoy the ascension!

QOTD: Ummm....doing "ok".  my adductor issue continues (now going on 19 months) but is tolerable.  I will slowly add mileage and distance and test it.  My lower back is adding to the discomfort and until the last 8 months, it had never given me any issues with running.  Either I have a significant issue or just old age.  Otherwise I am running ahead slowly and surely.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Ran about 4.5 yesterday evening in the mugginess.

QOTD: Hmmm. Well, last week I was down with a bad ear infection and barely ran. Once I got past that, I ended up stubbing my toe on a sidewalk so hard that it took half the toe nail off my big toe and completely took all the skin of the very end of my big toe, bleeding like I don't know what. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out. So, that put me on hiatus for another few days. I ran again yesterday, and it seems okay.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Good morning all.

Solo run last night without the Lady but she is home and doing fine. I might give her a few days off as she has a few stitches on her hind leg but it's an area that likely would not be impacted by running. She a benign growth removed. I ended up with about 10 miles at Coventry Woods and explored a trail there that sort of wanders out of the main park behind some homes and then dead ends into nothingness. I thought it might end up at a road juncture or another nature area but the trail just sort of petered out eventually. I could tell it did not receive much traffic. Parts of it will likely be impassable later this summer when the weeds are at full strength. Likely just a short run today.... 5 or 6 miles over on the easy part of Green Lane. Less ascension there... I had plenty of that the past few days.

QOTD: Doing pretty well these days. No niggles or injuries to report. I am still a skeptic but I get chiro adjustment every 2 weeks as of late and maybe it helps? Not sure though. It could be co-incidental but I've been healthy running department for awhile and fear messing with what works.

Warden - Be sure to "float" up to the top of your mountain.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Pretty ironic for a TRAIL runner!  (does sound like it hurt though...sorry)

Ran about 4.5 yesterday evening in the mugginess.

QOTD: Hmmm. Well, last week I was down with a bad ear infection and barely ran. Once I got past that, I ended up stubbing my toe on a sidewalk so hard that it took half the toe nail off my big toe and completely took all the skin of the very end of my big toe, bleeding like I don't know what. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out. So, that put me on hiatus for another few days. I ran again yesterday, and it seems okay.

muppy

Got in 7 miles on the horseshoe Trail yesterday.

Xtreme, hope lady has a quick recovery!

QOTD I'm recovering pretty good from my Achilles issue. The groin injury that came back to haunt me is doing pretty well, I think taking a month off really helped.(knock on wood). Now if I could just lose 20 pounds......

Birdwell

Hi! Remember me?

I've turned into a lurker over the last little while.

I'm planning on 3-4 later this evening.

QOTD: State of the health? where do I begin. After the babies surgery last year, I hit a slump and took a month off. I thought it would give me time to heal up and get all the little pains taken care of. that month stretched to 3 then 4 then 5 months. Around 3 months off, I noticed that none of the pain in my foot had gone away. In fact it had gotten worse. I started making doctors appointments. After 3 months, multiple appointments, countless x-rays and imaging and 3 different doctors I finally had a diagnosis. Lisfranc Fracture in my right foot. The worst part is the fracture happened 2 years ago , but since I never took any time off, it never had a chance to get better .

(I ran a 10K the day after I broke it and I tried a 50 miler 4 weeks later. Real smart. The podiatrist told me that his experience with Lisfranc fractures is they take 6-12 months to heal, with minimal activity. With the fact that I kept running and increasing mileage he is not surprised that it hasn't fully healed 2 years later.)

I've basically taken the last 8 months off from running. I started running again last week. The sad part is that the foot doesn't feel any better, but it also doesn't feel any worse. So I think this is going to be the new reality for me. Luckily, it's not anything I would classify as pain, more of a dull ache at times, but nothing that affects my gait.

I also got fat. So that's something else I'm working on.

Baby update: The baby is doing fine. The doctors let him out of the helmet about 6 weeks ago. The skull has not fully healed from the surgery yet (it could take another 6 months or so to fill all the way back in) but it's done enough that he doesn't have to wear it any more. The scar looks great and he is doing fantastic. He turned one a couple weeks back and is developing normally. The doc is pretty confident he won't require any more surgeries.

runtraildc

Morning!  Got in 4.5 miles last night, along my flat paved trail by the bay while DH was kiting.  I'm down to a slight ache in the jaw and glute, so all was pretty good.  I am heading to my usual Thursday lunch yoga class shortly.

LB- ouch.  I couldn't read your entire description because ripped toenails  and related issues make me squirm.  I hope it gets better quickly (or maybe it has already, like I said, I couldn't finish reading).

Birdwell-- good to hear from you!  And it's great to hear baby birdwell  is doing so well.  I hope your return to running goes smoothly, despite the foot fracture.

qotd:  see above.  I was hoping I'd be discomfort free in the glute after a really long 10 day rest, but not quite there yet.  I never said patience was one of my virtues.   More strength and stretching needed and that should (hopefully) be the end of it.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

5.4 with both my boys this morning.  (How FTC has good glasses on and see boys not balls).  It was nice.  Doing the morning runs again.  Have missed my morning trail.

QOTD:  Healthy as a horse...must be my stubborn Germen blood.

boyjame:  You need to be old to suffer with old age!!

LB2:  Never pictured you as a barefoot kinda guy.

XT:  Poor Lady...not the surgery the getting left behind.

Hey Birdwell!!!  glad to hear the baby is doing well.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Got out of work late this morning and have to be back in at 6 this evening. I think I have just enough time for a short run, probably about 5 miles maybe a little less.

Bird -- Good to see you back and good to hear that baby bird is doing well.  Foot injuries suck. They take forever to heal.

QOTD: Feeling pretty good overall.  Still have some soreness and aching in my right ankle and Achilles. Still from my sprain last August. Since it's nearing the one year mark I expect it to soon go away. It seems like it takes that long for my ankle injuries to completely heal. Just started doing some pushups every day, now my left shoulder is sore. I'll cut back on the amount or switch to the total gym at light weights for a while to get it to calm down.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

bridwell - good to hear from you again! 

some call me Tim

The local orienteering club has a 5 mile trail race later today I'm gonna run... it's a pretty laid back affair and those folks are terrible at trail marking, so it ought to be interesting.

Glad to see ya back, Birdwell, and that the kiddo's recovery has gone well!

qotd: No complaints, but I suppose it helps that all I'm doing right now is running about 15 easy miles each week.

LB2

I was wearing flip flops to a production of Frozen on Ice. My wife told me not to wear flip flops; wear shoes. But, Sue, you are correct: I am not really a barefoot kind of guy.

It is ironic that I ended up stubbing my toe that badly on such a short walk, on pavement. But, usually the thing that gets you is something simple. It did make me think back to Rocky Raccoon 100 in 2012. A few folks left out early if they felt like it would take the whole 30 hours. I remember seeing a couple of guys in sandals, (huraches?), or whatever they are called. I couldn't imagine running any distance in those, much less 100 miles on the course at Rocky. I still remember kicking a root at mile 85 with shoes on and cringing with pain that shot all the way through my body. I don't think any of the sandal guys got buckles that weekend. I think they all DNF'd.

LB2

dpc3

Howdy folks I walked the yellow dogs first thing, took the devil dog for a quick 3 mile run, then rode into work 12 miles. Busy but productive morning.

QOTD: Working on it, injured knee is giving me some problems but working on it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Spent the day at work, all by myself because a co-worker called off on short notice and there was no replacement. So that was then 9.5 hours straight on my feet, with not even a restroom break. I guess that's the final endurance training session before my race. 

After I had finished, DD got her induction into the National Latin Honor Society, that was a nice ceremony. I enjoyed watching with DH.

Now it's frantically packing drop bags, travel bags, and travel stuff for the whole family. Talk about a "mental training day" for me today!

Birdwell: Welcome back! Hope your foot will heal up eventually.  Give it some time and patience, it will probably slowly get better with time, but it might take a few years before it is pain-free again.

Glad to hear Baby Birdwell is doing so well!

LB2: Sounds painful. I did something like that as a kid (riding my bike up a curb), and I still remember the pain. Hope you'll heal up soon, too!

Queen: I read boys alright. Seems the glasses are working! 

darg: Good luck with that race! Good thing you're not as directionally challenged as I am...

QOTD: Most things in good order and running smoothly. Only spot I can complain about is the sole of my left foot at the ball/tip of toes, where I sometimes sporadically throughout the day get a burning sensation, just as if the skin was coming off. Not so great for running 100 miles, I hope I'll be able to ignore it when it happens.

Run for fun.