Trailer Trash

Kelly Agnew caught cheating...? (Read 103 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/01/kelly-agnew-aty-dq-cheat.html

anybody else see this, and doesn't or didn't he used to post in here?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

AT-runner

Tim

I’ve know Kelly for years, as he ran many Pretzel City Sports Races with me. I was following the race at ATY this year. I did not know why DSQ was posted on his results, as that is hardly ever used for a timed event.

I had heard at another race that his 201 mile was in question when he ran for 41 of the 48 miles.  Very sad if in deed it’s true.

I know now he rankled some feathers here an on RWOL, but in person he’s a very quiet and kind guy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/01/kelly-agnew-aty-dq-cheat.html

anybody else see this, and doesn't or didn't he used to post in here?

It was posted in the Tuesday thread. I haven't seen him post here in probably a year or more.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh, yeah I haven't been in this group for a long while but when I was posting or reading posts, I would often see his posts and I enjoyed reading his blogs  which is why I had really hoped this wasn't true and was just some stupid BS.........

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

GC100k

Apparently there have been suspicions about him for a long time, which is why the timer was asked to keep an eye on him.

I'd never heard of him before and hadn't run into him here or on the RW forums.

NorthernHarrier

I know now he rankled some feathers here an on RWOL, but in person he’s a very quiet and kind guy.

I know I should take the high road, really I do but this is way too awesome!  I appreciate your opinion as you are truly a first class guy but online he was an arrogant dick, tough guy hiding behind a keyboard. He and I certainly had a time or two mainly because I never kissed his arrogant ass.  This has just made my day and then some.  Where's that dancing banana? 

When cheaters are profiled there are usually certain patterns that emerge and based on his online behavior this seems to fit. No wonder he defended Lance Armstrong so strongly way back when.

Gator eye

No need to sugar coat that shit Northern. Lol

NorthernHarrier

No need to sugar coat that shit Northern. Lol

LOL!  I guess I need to learn to be a little tactful!

AT-runner

Tim

I know I should take the high road, really I do but this is way too awesome!  I appreciate your opinion as you are truly a first class guy but online he was an arrogant dick, tough guy hiding behind a keyboard. He and I certainly had a time or two mainly because I never kissed his arrogant ass.  This has just made my day and then some.  Where's that dancing banana? 

When cheaters are profiled there are usually certain patterns that emerge and based on his online behavior this seems to fit. No wonder he defended Lance Armstrong so strongly way back when.

No need to take a high road, I know he pushed a lot of buttons. (And thanks for the compliment).

I told Sue that John M thought he was pretty arrogant and unproven until he posted that fast BQ time. Now looks like that time was bogus and good ole John’s first impression was right.

Don’t remember the Lance Armstrong post, but looks like Kelly might get same treatment since buzz online is for RD’s to ban suspected cheats.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

My DD sent me a link to the article, along with a “sad face”.  Wow. I met him and his wife once in Leadville years ago. I’m shocked!! I did see the DSQ at the Across the Years race results and wondered what that was about.

I’ve had two beers tonight so it’s hard to process this (what can I say I’m a lightweight and I’m tapering...  and at at a business retreat sort of thing). Anyway, I’ll have to read all of this carefully tomorrow, but it doesn’t look good at all.

LB2, what’s up with this???

tbd.

moonlightrunner

Wow, this was a 230am shock! Harrier, I agree with you. I was posting and following on RWOL during the controversy, and eventually followed here. He did seem arrogant, and if memory serves, he did a great deal to inflame that situation. I was inspired by what I thought was an amazing man who accomplished great things. He seemed to be an "Everyman" who worked hard, and lived the fairy tale many of us ponder during long miles. Kelly, like many of you here, inspired me to run long and eventually become an ultrarunner. I feel for anyone who was cheated out of a spot on the podium after running an honest race. Still, I cannot help but feel sad for Kelly. Perhaps winning became his "crack cocaine" and once he stepped down that road it drew him further and further. I am stunned.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Gator eye

What really freaks me out is that there is a whole web site that does nothing but look for cheaters.

Really?? There are that many people that feel the need to cheat at a race? I never would of guessed it.

Full disclosure: I once played music on the speaker on my phone during a race where that was against the rules

they even sell shirts and coffee cups for cryin out loud. Lol

LB2

Good point. LOL. You should publicly shame yourself for playing the music!!

What really freaks me out is that there is a whole web site that does nothing but look for cheaters.

Really?? There are that many people that feel the need to cheat at a race? I never would of guessed it.

Full disclosure: I once played music on the speaker on my phone during a race where that was against the rules

they even sell shirts and coffee cups for cryin out loud. Lol

LB2

SillyC

Kelly showing up on my Facebook feed is what reminded me that I needed to recover my running logs from Running Ahead - I migrated my logs to a different platform a few years ago.  So Hi!

The "controversy" with RWOL was nothing of a controversy.  Kelly and a couple of friends of his spent the night mobbing and bullying, myself and a couple of other users.  I was asleep for almost all of it, but ultimately saw screen shots later.  It was baaaaaad.  It wasn't snark.  It wasn't jokes.  It wasn't being condescending.  It was just cruel. It was odd because I, and the users he was targeting, were people that didn't have much of a history with Kelly.  I knew who he was, and I generally enjoyed his blog, but I didn't know him personally.

My initial reaction to what I saw in my inboxes was that he was going to have a lot of apologizing to do the next morning when he sobered up. But no, he doubled down and  tried to play it off the next day like RWOL had an ax to grind with him for... what, I don't know.  The nasty posts had been deleted, so I think a lot of people bought what he was selling and never saw the stuff he posted.  It wasn't the typical L&O witty banter.  It was the kind of posts that make you question whether this person is actually "good" deep down.

I've honestly been afraid of him since.  I heard he blamed me for getting kicked off of RWOL, and that hurt his blog traffic.  But it never came to anything because Kelly and I never crossed paths.

I'm still surprised he did this!  I would not have taken him for a cheater!

runtraildc

+1, but I'll also add he was a misogynistic a-hole, based on a strong online pattern. Yes, I'm sure he was very kind to those he knew and from whom he wanted respect, but the rest of the world.  What makes me sad is that his wife was likely also a big part of this.  And the very community he yearned to impress is now completely shunning him. Karma.

(After posting yesterday, I was going to not add anything, but Harrier's and others comments drew me back in!).