Trailer Trash

Throw Back Thursday (Read 23 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Recently learned of a college peer from many moons ago that passed away. I am not certain but I think from breast cancer.  She had also played basketball for me one year (I coached for two years right after I graduated from undergrad).  She was only 42.

I did get out for 6.3 this morning through the hood.

QOTD: How good are you with staying in touch with old friends (HS, College, other)?

Me - terrible.  And then when something like the above happens, I feel bad about it.  I guess since I am not a people person I really don't seem to care until it's too late to care.  Something to work on I guess.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I ran a really good tempo run yesterday after work. I feel like my running of late has been pretty lame, but maybe I just needed to back off a little because it was really quite nice yesterday. The out was comfortable fast and the back was comfortably hard. I like runs like that.

QOTD: I do pretty well at keeping in touch with folks I want to keep in touch with. It is interesting, Jamie, that you found out your friend passed away. Last week, I got a text from a friend who asked me if I had heard that one of our high school classmates had passed away. I had not heard that. So, I called the guy back and found out that the guy had a heart attack. Frankly, I am not really surprised. He has struggled with substance abuse since we were in school. The guy who passed and I shared a love for the same type of music, but I have never been a drug guy or someone who drinks to excess. He always was. Just a sad way to live a life. Then, of course, that sends you into the realm of contemplating your own mortality; what really happens to you when you die? Is there really an afterlife? If so, would you be aware of being aware of anything that happened in a previous life? Would you want to be aware? Are you aware of being aware of the new life? Is your belief system a complete fabrication in your mind? And the really important question: Will there be any single track?

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Jamie, sorry to hear. Cancer sucks, and at some point affects everyone, either directly or indirectly.

Nice brisk run this morning. It was fun because the whole time I cussed out NH and Dd1 for being on beaches somewhere . Seriously, enjoy your time away, guys.

QOTD:  It's a bit funny, but I've stayed in touch with more grade school and grad school friends than HS or college ones. So the friends I made early in life and as an adult are, to me, the important ones.  Maybe Jamie can figure some deeper meaning into that. FB has helped since I moved a few times and lost touch with a lot of people.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

6.0 miles on the icy roads.

QOTD I keep in touch with a few but not many. Facebook makes it easy to reconnect with people though.

NorthernHarrier

Had a nice 6 mile beach run this morning. (AT-please don't hate me)   Sun, surf, and sand---works for me. Daydreamer, going to Hawaii is out of my current pay grade so I have to do a poor mans tropic adventure. Have a great vacation though and enjoy the scenery.

Blackwater 50k on Saturday morning near here. Relatively flat I'm thinking. Haven't trained at all for it so I'm pretty sure there will be a little suffering.

QOTD--Only have 2 friends from way back and we have pretty good contact and play fantasy football together in addition to some social stuff.  Otherwise I have never been to a class reunion or any other contact with anyone other than just an occasional bumping in to someone from the past.

Gator eye

Yesterday, after work I ran 6 miles and came to the conclusion that people that run in the afternoon are tougher than people that run first thing in the morning. Doing those 6 miles after a long day at work made for a really hard run. I'm going back to mornings where the running is much easier even if it is 4am.

I did 6 carefree mile this morning at 4:30 am

QOTD: No I'm terrible about keeping in touch with past friends.

AT-runner

Tim

Yesterday, after work I ran 6 miles and came to the conclusion that people that run in the afternoon are tougher than people that run first thing in the morning. Doing those 6 miles after a long day at work made for a really hard run. I'm going back to mornings where the running is much easier even if it is 4am.

Totally agree. I have a hard time even running a lunch.  Morning runs for me. I don't know if afternoon runs are bad for me due to physical or mental fatigue (or combination), but always have a hard time running late in the day.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I didn't run and won't.  Picking up my sister tonight and she is staying for a long weekend.  We will see how I fit running into there.  Did do core at gym today.

QOTD:  I am bad.  I hate talking on the phone and we do not have internet at the house to Skype.  I moved my senior year, then moved again for college and than to CA.  I think that has lead me to be a bit of a loner and move on.  I do have a handful of goods ones that even though not in contact still feel close.

Sorry about your friend Jamie.

LB:  There better be a single track.  What's the point of dying if not.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

bagge_pants

Sorry to hear that, Mr. Jamie

2.85 sore miles for, they finally caught up

- I don't like running in the dark and I have more daylight hours in the PM than the AM lately. My recent long run was at 8 am because there was a gap in the weather for an hour so I started then but usually even my days off I tend to run when it's the warmest - after noon.

Come summer I'm a morning and evening runner. I love running as the sun goes down just as much as it comes up.

QOTD - I do an okay job. There's two who are still my besties. We hang out a lot when I am in town.

Sandy-2

I plan on doing 5 mi after work today. Had dinner with some friends last light and for some reason I was a little foggy this morning...

MJ, Sorry to hear about your friend.

LB2 and QoN, Good point about the single track.  Let's hope.

GE and AT, Another thing about running late in the day, there is a higher potential for "other stuff" to get in the way.

qotd: Not so good at staying in touch, but I will say that another problem of staying in touch is that if you are the one who puts in all the effort, it gets old.  I do keep in contact w/ some of the gang that I knew when we were all about 5 or 6 years old, they're like family.  FB does make it easier.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

awol the last couple of days, but have been running   6 miles in the hills on Tuesday, hill repeats yesterday and 6 miles this evening- today was the first day since November that I didn't wear microspikes (save the times I was forced to run in snowshoes!)- still some ice and snow, but not enough to wear spikes

qotd: high school- no one, college- a few (very few), I do stay in pretty close touch with several of my old co-workers from the Fish and Game though

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Feeling pretty good so far this week after Sunday's 12 hour. 5 on Tue, 7 yesterday, and 7 today. All on FL trails naturally. Found a different section of the FL trail to run tonight. Out/back with the Lady for 7 miles just before sunset. Some odd mounds built up in a flatish area that the trail pop onto now and then. Leftover berms from some failed barge/canal project, now overtaken with pines and oaks. The Lady had her first encounter with an armadillo and nearly had a snack. Good size one.

QOTD: Not so good. Only 1 person in HS that I talk to now and then.

Harrier - Enjoy FL and your race... gorgeous down here right now.

Gator, AT others - Morning running?? You are the sickos!

In dog beers, I've only had one.