Trailer Trash

Mundane Mondaily (Read 28 times)

runtraildc

Happy Monday, folks!  Ended up heading back out Saturday pm for a short double, and got in 3.5 miles yesterday between swim events at the kiddos meet.  Was slow going again since the trails are mtn bike trails and so were compacted, full of exposed roots and then slippery with mud, frost and leaves.  Was great to visit a different trail system.  Although it's not far (20 min), it's  not within my usual flight path so I don't go out there unless it's for a swim meet.

qotd:  How far do you usually travel for your trails?  For me, although we're in the city/close suburb, I have several large national parks within 20 min or less with extensive trail systems, plus several county parks with decent trails, including a paved biker-hike path a half mile jog from my front door.   We picked our house/neighborhood based in part on green space/park access. (have we talked about this recently?  If so, please add a different qotd)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got in a couple of decent (not long) runs over the weekend.  One of those was a good hard TM/stairs o death/leg workout.  I was trying to trash my legs but somehow they felt fine the next day so I went for a 7 miler last night to try and finish them off.  I guess it didn't work because I feel fine.  On another note, it was a rather stressful weekend in our home-- nothing out of the ordinary just basic stuff.  Lots of tension, kids not listening, fighting, yelling, etc.  Please tell me these things are somewhat "normal" with multiple kids???

Congrats btw to lace for Hardrock!!!! Awesome! Sorry Sandy, hopefully next year.

QOTD: This has been asked before but not recently (I don't think).  My normal drive to a trail is 20-25 minutes.  It's a little long for me-- it's just 40-50 minutes of wasted time.  But I have lots of trail options within 45 minutes so I cannot complain too much.  With as little time that I have, I do end up with many pavement miles but such is life.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Probably a long hike today rather than a run.

QOTD: Valley Forge is about 18-20 minutes away and Ridley Creek State Park about 15 minutes. Anything else other than paved trails is 40-45 minutes or more.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Running on the Battlefield horse trails over lunch.  Nice cool sunny day here, so looking forward to getting out.  Ran part of the Ironmasters course yesterday with DW (Jamie, mostly the same run we did except I started at different location).  Saw 25-30 MTB'ers out on the trails. No hunting on Sunday, so the woods were busy.

Lace - congratulations on your 3rd place finish and your lottery score.

Sandy - Now you have a better reason for that redemption run.

QOTD:  I have to drive for all my trails, but only 5-10 minutes.  I will drive longer to get to other areas and it's not uncommon for me to drive up to 45 min each way for a run. I usually will mix those runs in with a trip to Lowes or other errands to justify the travel.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

Rest day. Our flight home was brutal. I hate flying right after a 100 mile finish. It's 8:30 and I'm still laying in bed, so my Monday is off to a good start.

Thanks for the congratulations (on the race and Hardrock). I never thought I'd actually get drawn.

QOTD: I've traveled to Africa and Brazil for races, so I'm open to running anywhere.

muppy

6.1 miles on the trails at my work.

Congratulations Kelly!

QOTD If  I run on the trails at my work it's zero travel time.  Normal trails are about 15- 20 minutes from my house. Some trails that I would like for a long run ( such as Blue Marsh lake or Gettysburg  battlefield if there's too much snow in the woods for me)I will drive up to 45 minutes to get to.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

YGot in some nice backcountry skiing in yesterday. Tried some Altai Hok skis- a cross between a ski and snowshoe- short (125) and wide w/ a permanent skin attached, metal edges and your choice of a universal binding (allowing you to use any boot/shoe), 3 pin binding or NNN backcountry binding- which these had (I have boots that work w/ the NNN)

Going to get a pair, just have to make up my mind on the binding

going to strength train this evening

qotd: my "in town" trails are only a 5-10 minute drive

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NHLA

11 miles on Echo Mt. sat. & 7 miles on Wolf Mt. sun.  Foot is getting better so I got 30 miles in last week.

congrats lace

jamie I have heard once you have three kids its always wild.

qotd  3.5 miles to the top of Echo Mt. and three trails on top. Great trails but only three miles long.

4 miles to Kanuga. Three Mts and over 2 hours of trails.

15 miles to DuPont Forrest  over 20 miles of trails and famous waterfalls have been in three major movies.

18 miles to Pisgua  500+ miles of trails.

8 miles to The Big Hungry.  Three mile waterfall you can hear for miles. Many people have died or paralized on the Narrows.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Got most kids off to school, one staying at home with a twisted ankle, waiting for the doc appointment. Hopefully not something that needs a cast. 

Still hoping to get a run in at this wonderful, sunny day. I had to work extra the past few days, with just a few miles running, so I feel really worn down and desperately need a nice trail adventure.

Kelly, congrats!

Jamie: Seems somewhat normal to me. I've heard it gets better once it's 6+ kids...   Haven't tried it myself, though. We stopped at 5. 

QOTD: For most trails, 5 minutes drive, or 30 min run to the trailhead. Bike path right out the door. There are trails farther away, which I visit every so many weeks, up to 25 min. drive, often on dusty gravel roads.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Mine couldn't be in the same room without some kind of disagreement. roughhousing, wrestling match, you name it ---until a few years ago (They're now 13 and 15).  My sister and her three younger kids (twins almost 5, and a 9 yo) just came to visit and it was much of the same.   They age out of it (hopefully).  in the meantime, good luck.  And remember, you're supposed to make sure they survive.

kids not listening, fighting, yelling, etc.  Please tell me these things are somewhat "normal" with multiple kids???

LB2

SRD. My legs are tired.

QOTD: On most days, I just run on the trails I made around the house. I just completely re-arranged what I plan to do in 2016, so I now have a 100 mile race on March 19th. So, I'll spend a little more time on those trails between now and then. They are about an hour from the house.

LB2

Occasional Runner

QOTD: On most days, I just run on the trails I made around the house. I just completely re-arranged what I plan to do in 2016, so I now have a 100 mile race on March 19th. So, I'll spend a little more time on those trails between now and then. They are about an hour from the house.

Is that Jeff's new 100 miler?

XtremeTaper

Meh Monday here. So yes, pretty mundane.

Nice run at lunch though. 8 hilly miles, mix of road and trails from the house. Sunny and mild for December. Yesterday 10 miles on the trails of Birdsboro Watershed. Big hills there. The section that was logged last winter/spring is open now so one can connect the loop a couple of ways again. It's sort of odd running through the logged section seeing the topography of the land where once it was typical thick PA woods.

Missed out on WS lottery again. Maybe I will run Massanutten this year instead of LH. Of course that's a lottery too, but my odds are decent there with 2 finishes.

QOTD: 10-25 minute drive to my regular trails (Green Lane, Coventry Woods, French Creek, Birdsboro Watershed, Monocacy Hill, Warwick Park, Schulykill River Trail (dirt towpath)).

Sandy - Sorry about the lottery loss. Me too, different race.

Lace - Congrats on both counts. I have trouble sitting in a car after a 100. A plane ride would be brutal.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Squeezed in 7 miles in the Battlefield.  Started out on the horse trails, but the horses must held some sort of Shit-Festival over the weekend.  Never seen the trails crapped up like they were. After 2 miles of avoiding the mines I switched to the roads and so I had to add a bit to get back to my car.

Jamie - they get better when they go off to college. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Hello everyone! Congrats, Kelly on getting into Hardrock. As I scrolled through twitter looking for names I knew, I was happy to see you got pulled early!

Got in 2 trail runs over the weekend, one with the new trail running group I just started:  Pennypack Trail Runners

Many have you have run the Uberendurance Sports races (Dirty German, Sloppy Cuckoo etc) that take place in Pennypack park. We meet in the same parking lot as those races, Saturday mornings.  We'll run through Pennypack and Lorimer parks which are connected. The details are all in the facebook group (line above) if anyone is interested in joining!

QOTD: Mostly run in trails mentioned above ^ which are only 1/4 mile from my house these days, but still like racing and exploring different spots in the area like Reading, French Creek, Ridley Creek etc.