Trailer Trash

all DOWNHILL followed by all uphill! HELP (Read 51 times)

SheCan

I finally found an elevation profile of the race I'm doing Saturday.  Its a 50k trail race with the first half of it all downhill, and then turnaround and go back up the hill for 15 miles.  Although it's low grade, I've done enough of these deceptively sloped hills to know that even low grade hills that go on forever are hard.  Does anybody have good strategy to deal with them?  Something I don't need special training for, as my race is in a few days.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Occasional Runner

What's the elevation gain over those 15 miles?

SheCan

This is a one way profile of the first half:

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Occasional Runner

Looks like it averages around 80 feet of vertical gain per mile. Your best bet is to just run what you can and walk what you can't. I think you'll be surprised by how runnable most of it will be. I'm sorry...I know that's not super helpful.

SheCan

If I read you right, you're saying "Just suck it up!"?  LOL, I guess that's what a trail race is for anyway.  Thanks, expert.  

Cherie

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

You'll probably be happy for some uphill after 15 miles of down.

A no training required 'trick' that I use on uphills is to imagine I have a fishing hook in my nose and someone is pulling me up the hill by it.  I'll put a wager on it that that thought crosses your mind at some point during your 15 miles of up, like it or not .

**Ask me about streaking**

Watoni

Looks steepest just after the turn around?

Really take it easy on the uphill at the beginning. If you are feeling good as is flattens a bit, think of ramping up a bit. If you blow just after the turn around, it is going to be a long 15.5 miles to the finish

SheCan

You'll probably be happy for some uphill after 15 miles of down.

A no training required 'trick' that I use on uphills is to imagine I have a fishing hook in my nose and someone is pulling me up the hill by it.  I'll put a wager on it that that thought crosses your mind at some point during your 15 miles of up, like it or not .

Oh I like that!   Good imagery there.

Watoni-- You're right, about not blowing it right after the turn around.   I'm at least glad now that I've seen the profile.  I know it's not going to be challenging up and down run, with lots of steep climbs at least.

lace_up, you're right.  I know it'll just be a matter of being persistent;  no easy tricks.

Cherie

AT-runner

Tim

I'm sure you'll find the terrain will still roll a bit, even with a net loss out and net gain back.  Don't blow your race by going out too quickly if you do feel any pull from running downhill.  Keep to your intended pace, and as others said, you will actually be thankful for some uphill running.  1200' over 15 miles looks worse on paper, so you might not even notice much change, so don't worry and enjoy the race.  Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Looks fairly easy to me, with no steep descents/ascents. Probably you won't even notice the elevation gain/loss, except for right around the turnaround point?

I always imagine such low grades as being "flat", I tell myself it's just flat, and it often works quite well.

What is the footing like, technical, or more gentle? That might be a more important factor than just the grade.

Run for fun.

SheCan

Looks fairly easy to me, with no steep descents/ascents. Probably you won't even notice the elevation gain/loss, except for right around the turnaround point?

I always imagine such low grades as being "flat", I tell myself it's just flat, and it often works quite well.

What is the footing like, technical, or more gentle? That might be a more important factor than just the grade.

I'll notice, I'm sure.     Actually, I'm thinking it looks rather boring in a lot of ways.  Was kind of hoping for something a lot more mixed up.    Dunno much about the footing, other than its supposed to be pretty rocky in some places.

Thank you, AT-runner, I'm not going to worry much about it.  I figure it's a little late for that.  I just hope it's fun!

Cherie

Good luck!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Cherie, Are you running Mesquite Canyon 50K again this year?  It's a 20 minute drive from my house so of course I'll be there again.

You people have issues 

SheCan

Thank you, Vwaldo! :-)

FSocks-- I thought about it, and chose this one instead because I was scared Mesquite would kill me if it was too warm.  Its in 2 weeks right?  Heck, I might change my mind by then.  I can't wait to hear how it goes this year.  At least it was interesting.

Cherie

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Two weeks from tomorrow.  So far long term forecast doesn't look too bad.  That course is tough enough, no need to add 90 degree + temps on top of it.

You people have issues