Trailer Trash

Fast Friday (Read 30 times)

LB2

The Fast is associated with how quickly this week has gone by, not how fast I ran. I did 1560 feet of climbing at the gym this morning and finished up with a pretty good workout with weights again.

QOTD: How often do you focus on walking in your training and how do you truly value walking as a part of your training?

I try to spend at least two sessions per week focused on hiking at the gym. I use a backpack with weights in it. Sometimes, although not on a schedule, I will spend time during long runs focused on walking on the trails. I value it as part of training a great deal because I cannot run an entire race beyond a 50K, and I can't run an entire 50K if the course has substantial climbing. Walking is paramount to my training.

LB2

Birdwell

Morning folks!

5 in the rain late last night. I had enough foresight to bring a plastic bag to put my Garmin in so it survived the downpour.

QOTD: not often enough. I have planned to get out and walk early in the morning but so far it hasn't worked out. because I like sleeping.

Occasional Runner

8 Trail miles with my running buddy. My stomach was WAY off this morning so it wasn't a great run. Not a big deal though, because I'm racing tomorrow so it's not like this run really mattered for much.

QOTD: I focus on my walking pace when I'm doing big, sustained climbs. It's something I really try to pay attention to. Those skills will come in handy at Leadville, Wasatch and the Bear.

Sandy-2

I'll run after work today, hopefully avoiding the thunderstorms. We had some crazy storms last night.

qotd: I only do specific "walk" training when I'm on the stair climber at the gym. Otherwise when I'm "dead" during a long run or going up a long inclines (I only get long inclines during races or when traveling).

tbd.

Daydreamer1

SRD. Spending the day at work. The legs are tired so I really do need the rest.

QOTD: I spend a good deal of time walking but not necessarily because I want to. I get caught in the trap of trying to run everything except the steep hills, when I walk it's because I'm wearing out. I really need to work at switching back and forth more. That would help my stamina.

DigDug2

SRD.

QOTD:  I sprinkle it in on tough climbs, basically hiking what I would expect to hike in a race, but I don't really focus on it or think about how to improve at it.

NorthernHarrier

Skipped my swim this morning and ran for an hour in the hood instead. Think I'll hang up the swim goggles till winter. Stay outside with whatever time I have.

Got a great run last night on the hilly single track on the IAT at Lodi(for MM). Perfect evening.

So my DW and daughter are up at the cabin and I talk to them last night. Seems they have these little tracks around now on the lower deck and top of a picnic table. My DW being a trackologist is convinced it is a skunk and it's all my fault for the piles of corn I have out on the back of the property.  I suppose it's possible but it could be any number of critters, jeesh.  I told her where the .22 is and to be proactive before the dogs get involved with it. Ha, like that will happen. I think she just wants to close her eyes and click her heels together 3x. Oh, and blame me.

QOTD--When I ran some mtn. ultras I would do specific power type hill walking. Now I just throw some walks in because I'm old and tired. 

moonlightrunner

I bagged last night's run. Oddly, eati g anythingg high in sugar within. 2 hours of a run saps my energy and desire to run. I was bad..ate a cookie. Today will have to be the 10 I did not do yesterday. I  havo g pain behind some knee...hoping it does not blossom onto areal problem.

Qotd: iI have a hard to.e making g myself walk unless I am crashing. I need to do bit because I suspect I will need to do it for my first 50k in sept.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

runtraildc

Got in a scenic and fast couple of miles last night with DS.  He's getting ready for XC season and needs company.  Even though he complains of how slow his company can be....  Am heading to the gym shortly to get some treadmill intervals and a core workout.

Harrier- maybe you need to get up there and deal with the skunk directly?  And yes, whatever the critter is, the corn isn't helping.   Stop pampering those deer.  They're wild animals and let nature do it's thing.

qotd:  sometimes.  I've been walking more lately during runs since I'm struggling to pick up my mileage after so many months of low miles and motivation.  Normally, I try to fit in walks during the week to stretch the legs, aside from running.

AT-runner

Tim

Rest today.  DW and I had a shitty run on the Tuscarora Trail yesterday.  After a promising start with a 900' climb in first 1.25 miles, we ended up mostly bushwhacking for almost 2 miles at the top.  Looks like no trail maintenance had been done in years.  This is a 200+ mile connector trail for the AT, and I had made an assumption that it would be a maintained trail.  I had read some hiking reviews of the run we were panning, but they were over 2 years old, so didn't explain current trail condition. I had my trusty phone with me (and maps) and was able to find an old logging road that connected to a road.  We made our way back towards Cowan's Gap SP and ran some of the trails around the lake.

Hey where is T&C?  Did she get married yet or is she just MIA?

Yay, for Mandy and Charles making progress on recoveries.

QOTD:  One of the first lessons I learned from John M. (over 15 years ago) was to practice walking (or as he would say, move with purpose),  unfortunately I leaned it after my first ultra, but do practice it still.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Marley and I had a nice 6.5 mile run on some scenic trails we had not visited in a while.

QOTD:  I run, walk/hike, mountain bike, and road bike, but I really don't consider any of it training for anything.  For me, it is all done purely for the enjoyment of each activity.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

muppy

Plan on 4 miles after work.

QOTD I do a lot of walking with my job, we have a 13,000 square foot putting green which I mow at 16 1/2 minute miles, that's about 4 miles 4 times a week. Also my landscaping business I walk slow  day pushing a wheel barrow up and down hills. Once in a a while GF and I will just go out hiking too.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Planning on a run later, maybe 10 mountain miles.

QOTD: I don't practice walking, not for running, and not for racing. I walk sometimes during my runs because the trail is not runable, or because I am tired, but it's always as fast as I can. I have always walked a lot in my life, always fast, that's just the way I walk. So far, I have never had trouble walking "with a purpose" in races. Must be my genes.

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Hey where is T&C?  Did she get married yet or is she just MIA?

According to her blog, she's starting marathon training...on the road

(I can't really talk...I'm (kinda) triathlon training...on the road )

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

According to her blog, she's starting marathon training...on the road

(I can't really talk...I'm (kinda) triathlon training...on the road )

WTF!?!?