Trailer Trash

Who is here? (Read 57 times)

some call me Tim

What comes around is all around, Lahey.

Buffalo, NY, home of rust and snow, checking in. I run the home trails, mostly, looping until dizzy.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Jon here, reporting for duty.

Running and hiking in my home trails; Harriman/Bear Mt SP.

Just got back from a 6 mile loop around Big Hill shelter, built in the

1920's with views of NYC.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jon here, reporting for duty.

Running and hiking in my home trails; Harriman/Bear Mt SP.

Just got back from a 6 mile loop around Big Hill shelter, built in the

1920's with views of NYC.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Lurker roll call?  Here!

Me: Margaret, Half Moon Bay CA (south of San Francisco).  I run on pavement, trails and the track (when I convince myself that speedwork isn't utterly futile).  I like road races and trail races, usually HMs up to marathons, with the occasional 50k.  Want to do my first 50 miler next year, maybe Mt. Hood if I get in through the lottery.  Favorite trail?  Isn't that like asking which child is your favorite?  Lots of great trails around here -- I tend to run most at Montara Mountain, Purisima canyon, Huddart Park and Wunderlich Park.

Just did a road HM last weekend near Yosemite.  It was 10 miles downhill and completely trashed my legs.     But it was a PR!     Taking a SRD today.  Next race is a 36k on Mt. Tam on 10/24 (the Eldrith).

Yeah okay, I shouldn't just lurk... will try to contribute more...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

Sandy here, checking in from the eastern office.  Currently on an expat assignment in Busan, Korea.  Lots of great trails over here, but they are not flat.  Flat areas around here are typically reserved for houses, buildings, roads or farms. But there are many many hills/mountains and therefore lots of trails.  Lots of hikers, but not many trail runners, I do get some funny looks....

As someone who works in the Shipping/Shipbuilding industry, I can understand QoN very easily.  

tbd.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I'm here, now and then.

Gary form the Phoenix area, part road runner, part trail runner.  I've been battling a bone spur for the past 5 months that has really limited my running.  I really like the beauty of the trails but road running is so much more convenient even if I am only 20 minutes from the trails.

I do have a "ralk" next weekend at the Grand Canyon with a couple of friends to go to Ribbon Falls and back.  It's about 29 miles round trip and I expect it to take 12 hours or so depending on how we're all feeling.  At least the weather should be good.  I'm excited as I've never been to Ribbon Falls in person as it's about a mile off of the North Kaibab trail.  And there is supposed to be an FE with a couple of the hooligans and their DW's from this place.

Speaking of the Grand Canyon.  Mandy, when are you coming back to AZ so we can hit the GC together?

You people have issues 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Speaking of the Grand Canyon.  Mandy, when are you coming back to AZ so we can hit the GC together?

Sadly I don't think my parents are heading South this winter.  My mom managed to fall off her bike while they were out there back in February and she's been having troubles with her arm ever since (and lots of doctor's appointments.)  So I think they're hibernating here this winter, but I'm hoping next winter they'll go back!  I think they're going to get a harsh dose of reality having to do a regular winter here again and going South again will become a priority.  I'll be in Death Valley next month and possibly Costa Rica this spring, so I'm not sure Arizona is in the cards in the near future, but the Grand Canyon is definitely on the to do list in the next few years.  Thinking about a rim to river to rim, opposed to R2R and there's no way I could ever do a R2R2R at this point, unless I make it a backpacking trip.

Running is dumb.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Sadly I don't think my parents are heading South this winter.  My mom managed to fall off her bike while they were out there back in February and she's been having troubles with her arm ever since (and lots of doctor's appointments.)  So I think they're hibernating here this winter, but I'm hoping next winter they'll go back!  I think they're going to get a harsh dose of reality having to do a regular winter here again and going South again will become a priority.  I'll be in Death Valley next month and possibly Costa Rica this spring, so I'm not sure Arizona is in the cards in the near future, but the Grand Canyon is definitely on the to do list in the next few years.  Thinking about a rim to river to rim, opposed to R2R and there's no way I could ever do a R2R2R at this point, unless I make it a backpacking trip.

Damn, that sure sux for you mom.  But, Costa Rica!

You people have issues 

NHLA

Jimmie  from  Hendersonville NC.  Miles and miles of trails. Run on the road all week and trails on weekend.

Still here sometimes! I tend to not post much when I'm not training for a big trail race, but still check in every week or so.

Home trails are Lorimer Park and Pennypack Park near & in Philly, within a 1/4 mile of my front door.

Currently training for a road 5k PR, but still running on trails a lot.  I ended up running & winning the Sloppy Cuckoo Quarter Marathon 6.55 mile trail run)  last weekend so I feel a bit more like a trail runner these days. 

Hope everyone is doing well over here.

Occasional Runner

Traffic and participation has died off dramatically in this forum, and I believe that's true with most forum sites due to the migration to other social media platforms. But this group has lost the actual interaction that originally drew all of together before most of were banned from RWOL. The daily thread used to be full of banter and now it's mostly just a place to post your daily workout without the personal commentary that drew us together. It's just changed, but that's ok. It's just not as interesting as it used to be.

sspharbor

Sasha here - currently in the Tampa Bay area.  The temps are now just topping out in the high 80s which for Florida means "fall" and is actually some of the only weather where we can enjoy being outside without the wet hot blanket of humidity that otherwise envelops us the other 8 months out of the year.  We have two little kids (2 and 4 years old) so time is limited for running, but I love it so you make it happen however that works out (i.e. early morning runs before the sun and children rise and running during lunch at work).  I don't have easy access to trails around where we live so I only run on trails for local 50Ks and otherwise have done two road 50Ms recently.  We are moving to the Asheville NC area next summer and are so excited since we have been dreaming of living there for the past five years now.  I will be able to work from home, which means I will have the flexibility to get out there and enjoy the beautiful trails and have more time as a family.  We figure why wait to live in our dream locale and take the opportunity to have more time together as a family in the mountains that we love.  This forum has been great for reading about everyone's adventures and you all have been a good resource for my random questions in the past.  Thanks and happy running!

I lurk occasionally - mostly out of laziness I don't post.  You guys motivate me with your adventures, though.  I like hearing about how runners more experienced than I am train, race, and the in between.  Even though I'm not super active on running ahead, I do think this forum is a great little gem! I have been on a fairly strict training plan since June, and I find that the less I talk about what I'm up to, the more productive I actually am.  Now that my "season" is over, I will try and post more regularly.

I run mostly in the Elk/Cameron County area.  Quehanna trail in Benezette is one of my favorites, although we do have a pretty nice little trail system in the SGL in Ridgway.  Plus some nice easy cross country ski trails for recovery runs.  This summer I pretty much ran exclusively on trails and it was probably the best thing that happened to me.  The past 3 months were PR mania for me, but culminated with my first DNF at the Sinnemahone 50k this weekend at mile 27.  So now, I'm reassessing what I want to do in the future as far as running goes, and I think it will probably not entail ultras for a good long while.  You guys amaze me with your long distance adventures.

That's about it for me.  Please keep posting, and I promise I will keep reading.

Watoni

Jeff here, in SF Bay area.

Just did my first "race" since my injury in April (ankle, torn tendons, etc) and had  ablast (report later). I love trail running since it gets me out in the mountains and reminds me of why I loved running as a kid. More than doing ultras again, what I really want is that injury-free joy back rather than always managing through something.

I am also a road biker, and love to cook. At some point I might have a better balance between my work, hobbies and amazing family, but getting by for now.

NorthernHarrier

I'll check in--Al from Madison, Wi.  Old curmudgeon.  Legs are just plain shot but I just keep trying to keep going.

As for my own participation I have grown somewhat weary of the place to a degree. Like it has run it's course for me. So I may disappear for a week or two then post a few days in a row. I sometimes don't check the site daily and these days I don't look at all the threads. I will not read race reports written by folks who don't show up here except when they are posting a race report looking for some sort of validation or whatever.

Traffic and participation has died off dramatically in this forum, and I believe that's true with most forum sites due to the migration to other social media platforms. But this group has lost the actual interaction that originally drew all of together before most of were banned from RWOL. The daily thread used to be full of banter and now it's mostly just a place to post your daily workout without the personal commentary that drew us together. It's just changed, but that's ok. It's just not as interesting as it used to be.

I'll generally agree with this. Certainly other media but I also remember way, way back on RW looking up old threads seeing all kinds of people there that just vaporized long before the mass exodus to Facebook. I just think there is a normal attrition. Problem is here there is just not enough drive by traffic to get new recruitment as compared to RW. The wheel just kept turning there. But no, I won't be going back. Frankly, when I am not signed in on another computer and go to the RA main page I have no clue how to even find our page unless I can remember my password. How can a random curious surfer find trail running here? Very poor homepage and it's amazing that we have a few new peeps here at all.

I have no solution. Perhaps just people showing some more personality other than run stuff, maybe. I could probably be a better forumite and respond more to people and what they have been doing or what they say. A little more commentary.

Thanks for the thread Nancy!