Trailer Trash

Race Report for World's End 50K (Read 24 times)

Keep Going

My 50K++ race report for this beast. I will add this as a "must do" race if you live in the PA/NY/NJ/MD area. My favorite race to date and harder then my 50 miler! I'll be back for the buckle next year, I hope. 

Worlds End 50K

100 milers are my favorite

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Believe it or not I'd heard of this park before. After that description, I think I'll stick to something a little less wild and more tame. I can trip on a painted white line of the roads. Who knows what I'd do on a trail like that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Keep Going

Believe it or not I'd heard of this park before. After that description, I think I'll stick to something a little less wild and more tame. I can trip on a painted white line of the roads. Who knows what I'd do on a trail like that.

LOL George! It's a humbling place that's for sure. But that's kind of the allure I think. I hear you on the tripping point. I was actually shocked I only fell once. 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, sounds like an awesome race! It's right next to the area where ES100 took place last year, and it sounds like the trails (and the weather we had then, it was just a bit warmer) are very similar. If you enjoyed this one, you'll love the Call of the Wilds marathon!

Run for fun.

Keep Going

Congratulations, sounds like an awesome race! It's right next to the area where ES100 took place last year, and it sounds like the trails (and the weather we had then, it was just a bit warmer) are very similar. If you enjoyed this one, you'll love the Call of the Wilds marathon!

Thank you Couch! Can't wait for COTW marathon!

Daydreamer1

I was hoping you would get a report put together. I'd like to try this one next year. Hyner is a little early in the year for me to be properly trained for a 50K so I may just do the 25k again and do this one for my ultra. It sounds like a beautiful course.

It will be interesting to see how you think this compares to Call of the Wilds. That race comes up as 27.5 miles and ultra signup has you finishing that in 9:13.

"What was this fence keeping in or out for that matter?"

Uh, they didn't tell you?    Sasquatch was starting to roam into town and they were trying to keep him in. Too many trail runners missing would have been bad for next years race.

Actually it was probably a deer fence to protect new growth in logged out areas. Some places there is so much deer damage to new growth that the logged areas take many years to regenerate so they'll throw up a fence until the new growth is established. That would be my first guess. Second guess would be to keep people away from an old coal mine.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I was hoping you would get a report put together. I'd like to try this one next year. Hyner is a little early in the year for me to be properly trained for a 50K so I may just do the 25k again and do this one for my ultra. It sounds like a beautiful course.

Keystone, are you planning on running Hyner next year? We all could meet up, regardless of the distance.

Uh, they didn't tell you?    Sasquatch was starting to roam into town and they were trying to keep him in. Too many trail runners missing would have been bad for next years race.

Don't let this cross your mind when running through a fenced area in the night. 

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Thanks for sharing the RR, Keystone.  Congratulations on a great finish in tough conditions.  Humidity especially takes it out of you-- I'd almost prefer much higher temps to offset the effects of humidity on a run.

Keep Going

It will be interesting to see how you think this compares to Call of the Wilds. That race comes up as 27.5 miles and ultra signup has you finishing that in 9:13.

Actually it was probably a deer fence to protect new growth in logged out areas. Some places there is so much deer damage to new growth that the logged areas take many years to regenerate so they'll throw up a fence until the new growth is established. That would be my first guess. Second guess would be to keep people away from an old coal mine.

Thank you Daydreamer! You should really try to squeeze this one in on your schedule, it's well worth the pain.   Gilbert the fellow I ran with said the climbs were like at Eastern States just not as long. He did ES solo without a crew or pacers. I find to be incredible!!

I hope to be better trained by the time I do Wilds and by then I will be better acclimated to the heat. Last year it took me until July to feel comfy running in the humidity. I'll also glady take a 9:13 finish time..but secretly hope 8 something to be honest.

Ohhhhhhh on the fence thing!! Makes total sense..The Sasquatch story sounds better tho.

Keep Going

Thanks for sharing the RR, Keystone.  Congratulations on a great finish in tough conditions.  Humidity especially takes it out of you-- I'd almost prefer much higher temps to offset the effects of humidity on a run.

Thank you runtraildc!! I would prefer the higher temps also. Heat that early in the season is such a shocker sometimes.

Couch, not sure on Hyner. Never have done it and probably should at some point. Would love to meet up with you guys here from the forum, that would be fun.

I must go back to Breakneck Point up on the Hudson and redeem myself there from last spring. I dropped down to the 25k from the marathon because I got shredded. That race fell on the same day as Hyner. It has 10,000 ft of vert for the marathon. I must tackle that and finish..it is my destiny..LOL

Hey we could always meet at Breakneck..it offers a 25k and is amazingly beautiful but it is a nasty mean course. Both distances start at the same time and there is plenty of beer at the finish. What's not to love?

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job on a hard day.

As of now, DW and I plan on once again doing Labor Pains.  We love that race and have done it several times.  It also can get hot and humid but does have beer.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Keep Going

Nice job on a hard day.

As of now, DW and I plan on once again doing Labor Pains.  We love that race and have done it several times.  It also can get hot and humid but does have beer.

Thanks AT! Yes can't wait to meet you guys!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This is a good write up Keystone.  Thanks for sharing the details.

Yet another race to add to my never ending list.  I do think that PA trail folk are continuing to try and outdo each other for most difficult PA trail event.  Looking at the finishing times, this looks harder than Hyner.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Breakneck could be fun. 

Hyner is early in the year and therefore a great motivation to keep going when winter and snow drag out into February and March.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Nice report and congrats on a hard earned finish!  Pretty darn neat meeting and running with Gil, the ultra community is tops in my book 

I've said it before, but a lot of folks don't realize how much tough country exists on the East Coast- yeah we got tall mountains, but we certainly don't have a lock on tough places to run (just re-watched Finding Traction- Niki Kimballs FKT attempt at the Long Trail- that looked very tough!)

<-- very humbled by a run in NC a couple of years ago

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √