Trailer Trash

Sandy's RR100 Pacer Report (Read 26 times)

Sandy-2

You asked for it. . .

Crew/Pacer Report – Rocky Raccoon 100 mile

Huntsville, TX    February 3, 2018

The “Dad paces Devan in her first 100 miler adventure” started with pitching the tent in Huntsville State Park, parking the car near the S/F, setting up the chair and “stuff” for the personal pit stop, etc.  Asleep in the tent by 9:30pm, quite comfy cozy since we brought the huge blowup mattresses. Both of us slept pretty well, important for the night before a hondo.

Pre-run selfie.

In the morning only a short walk to the S/F area. Devan, albeit a bit nervous, was all set for the 6am start of her first 100 miler!!!  After some nervous small talk, a reminder to take it slow, a big hug and kiss for luck. . . she was off.

After she left I took down the tent and biked to the Damnation AS to volunteer.  I biked the 4ish miles to the AS which is at the back end of the park with limited vehicle access, taking some park roads, trails and only doing about a half mile on the same trails as the runners.  The route the runners follow would take them 9 miles so I got to the AS at about 7am, well before the lead runners.  During this time the promised rain had started.

Runners hit Damnation twice per 25 mi loop at miles 9 and 18.  I really enjoy helping out and talking to the runners, mostly refilling bottles and hydro packs. The banter with the runners is a lot of fun, and I also answer lots of questions about what helps when bonking, puking, tired, etc. But I have to say I did give one very special runner a super lot of special attention each time she went by. Devan was great getting in/out of the AS quickly. She looked great each time I saw her at Damnation at miles 9, 18, 34 and 43. On each of her visits I told her she needed to slow down and run easy.  She said she was trying, but having too much fun.  At one point she reminded me that I had said “. . . all she had to do is get to 50 miles and that I’d get her home from there. . .”, to which I answered, yeah, but I didn’t say “trashed at 50!!!”.

Loop 1, 18 mi, Damnation AS

Loop 2, 34 mi, Always time to make friends.

So after Devan went by the 4th time at about 4pm, I said my good-byes to my friends at Damnation, and told them I’d see them later over Devan’s last 2 loops.  I then biked back to the S/F.

At S/F, 50 miles done.

Picking up her pacer at mile 50.

Soon I was ready at the S/F area, and a few minutes later she came smiling down the path.  Her first two 25 mi loops were done in 5:06 and 6:02.  I refilled her hydro pack as she got stuff out of her resupply and before long we headed out on her 3rd loop, it was about 5:15pm.  Later she would tell me that she thinks her marathon, 50k and 50 mile splits all PRs for her. . .  rookies!!!!

Right away she confessed that she needed to slow it way down and walk more, I said “ya think?”.  But she was still doing some running when she could, but best of all when walking she was moving along leading the way at a good clip, about 15-18 min pace.  I kept reminding her to eat and drink and get in and out of AS quickly, but you could tell she was really starting to feel the miles.  The big slowdown was starting.  On the third loop she had a friend from her Roller Derby team at one of the AS, so that was a nice visit.  Her positive attitude was still there, I didn’t need to coax her along too much. A few times I’d make some suggestions to keep moving when she stopped to stretch and even sat on a log or AS once or twice, repeating the old “beware of the chair” pacer mantra.

My main assistance was on calorie intake and mental stuff.  She was on the fine edge of trying to take in gels/electrolytes/food and suffering stomach issues. I have battled this so many times and I told her what has worked for me, but as we all know this is such and individual thing.  After a while she was thinking she had to barf but it didn’t happen on her 3rd loop. I kept telling her it would most likely feel better if she did. I could also tell half way through loop 3 that she was having doubts about being able to do another loop (I have been there many times). There were some bad patches and doubts that she was suffering through in silence, but I could tell and after an especially hard root kick I could see was hurting, I gotta tell you all that was really hard to see as a Dad.  Then near the end of the loop I started talking to her about strategy of the next time through the S/F area.  Asking her what she wanted from the AS, what food, and did she want to just hit the timing mat and get out while I got her stuff, etc.  Just some distractions to get her out of there and started on loop 4.  I also reminded her that I couldn’t imagine what it took to keep going in those long 1000km horse rides that she does.  All this seemed to get her going and she started talking smack and steeled herself, I was so feaking impressed and proud!!!  She did her 3rd loop in 7:54, must have been her crappy pacer who slowed her up.

She did go over to resupply while I was getting stuff from the S/F AS, but there was no longer any doubt, we were outta there for loop 4.  The stop was quick, and at a little after 1am and we were out on the 4th and last loop.  Loop 4 was pretty much a carbon copy of loop 3.  But her stomach finally gave it up and she barfed about 3 or 4 different times.  Other runners checking up on her and they went by, saying “better out than in” sorta stuff.  Plus there were some bear attacks, she was complaining about stuff coming outta both ends.  But the trooper just kept churning along. She did some running after the barfing sessions since she felt a little better, but she was still walking and leading the way at a really good pace between 15 and 20 min/mile.  We finally got some mashed potatoes into her and that seems to stay down which was really good. She was still dreading the long 9 mi Damnation out-n-back, but after we got to the far side and on the way back she seemed better knowing she was headed for the barn.

Another pacer duty I had was keeping track of time since she was no longer wearing a watch since her GPS ran out of juice.  I was doing a lot of pace, time, distance calculations and knew that as long as we kept doing what we were doing she’d make it with plenty of time to spare.  Every once in a while she’d ask if we were going to make it, and I reassure her, as long as we just keep it up you’ll be more than fine.  Which is what she did.  There were still some rest stops and deals like “I need to sit on that log for 2 minutes”, but she never complained when I said those 2 minutes were up.  I gotta also say that it would be really rough if I had to become a hard-ass pacer and push harder if she would have been really hurting, fortunately she is as tough as nails and make it easy for me.  She was still talking to the AS folks and thanking them on her last visit through.

Finally the sun came up and we were on the home stretch.  I can’t describe the simply terrific feeling I had, being with my beautiful daughter on a beautiful morning on a trail along the lake. . .  and she knew she was going to finish that first 100 miler.  I think I cried first.

Devan finished the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile in 27:57:01, with one very proud pacer in tow.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, dad.

This sounds eerily similar to how DW does races. She always goes out too fast, getting caught up in the “fun”.  It takes a lot to pull the reigns in, and having followed Devan on her Mongolian races, I’m not surprised she went out fast. Maybe you should have told her there would be a Vet check, and that might have slowed her first 50 miles.

I have to admit, I got a bit teared up reading, just knowing how special it must have been for you.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I knew she could do it. She is lucky to have you as a dad and a pacer. You and Devan are both top-notch in my book. Congratulations.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Great pacing, Sandy, and congrats to Devan on finishing her first 100- miler!

it must have been hard for you to see your DD suffer the nasty effects of the long distance, but I am sure she was glad to have you there.

Love AT’s idea with the “vet check”!

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Awesome...what a special event to share with your daughter.  Too cool...I was a doubter so way to prove me wrong Devan!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Wonderful!  What a blessing to be able to share in such an accomplishment; I’m sure it’s something you’ll both cherish forever.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

What a pretty young lady!

congrats

dpc3

Awesome report congrats to you both!

runtraildc

Great report- thanks for sharing! And congratulations to devan (and dad).

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

This is awesome, Sandy.  Big congrats to Devan!    How neat that you were able to be there and pace/crew her.  She'll remember this for the rest of her life.

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I’ll pass them along.  I mentioned to Devan during the run that my “online” friends were pulling for her, she said that was cool.

AT – I like the vet check idea, maybe she wouldn’t have gone out so quickly, probably not though.

LB2 – Thanks LB.

FTYC – Yeah it was really rough at times when she was struggling.  Just wanted to provide a little comfort and help, but could tell she wanted to figure it out herself. Just like when she was little. Of course after a little bit I’d tough her shoulder, just a little sign.

QoN – It was totally special and really glad to be there the whole time.  Ya know, if I had told her that someone didn’t think she could do it, she would have been a few hours quicker. . .

mt – yeah I don’t think either one of us will ever forget this run.

Gator – Don’t let looks fool you, she’s as tough as nails.

dpc3 – Thanks.

runtraildc – Thanks.

MM – Yeah is was awesome, I’ll also always remember.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

4 PR's is one race... that is awesome.

This is really great Sandy. That is a very special thing you got to experience (and Devan) too, and it really shows in that photo at the finish. You are a lucky man, with a very strong and special daughter.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

GC100k

What a great experience! Congrats to both of you. Thanks for the report.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Love it...she sure is adventurous and doesn't let much get in her way.

QoN – It was totally special and really glad to be there the whole time.  Ya know, if I had told her that someone didn’t think she could do it, she would have been a few hours quicker. . .

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Very cool experience.  I would love to share similar experiences with my kids someday.

I have to say that 11:01 for the first 50 seems a bit fast considering there was another 50 to go, but if she felt good, why not.

Great job to both of you and the big question is does she have the 100 miler bug?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday