Trailer Trash

My Weekend Starts on Thursdaily (Read 20 times)

LB2

I got up and ran 5 before daylight this morning. I have not done a pre-dawn run in months. I think I like that better than running after work. Also, we are on a 4 day, 10 hour schedule for the summer. I don't like the 4, 10 hour days, but I love the 3 day weekends.

QOTD: What do you consider you optimal running/racing weight?

I would say 180 pounds. I am 182 right now. But I am quite a bit more distant than 2 pounds from being in race shape.

LB2

runtraildc

Thunderstorms to roll thru later tonight-- but in the meantime, it's cooler and less humid in days and I was planning a rest day.  Gym day for strength and yoga later.  Hit a very small root yesterday and went flying. Definitely felt my core working to keep me upright and it worked, otherwise it would have been an ugly fall, with a possible roll into the creek.  Reminded me to keep up the yoga.  And our wobble ball, which has been new for me.

Other interesting stuff (at least to me), it seems as if I saw a juvenile copperhead yesterday after talking with a ranger.  They're not known to be in this park (but are in neighboring parks) so it may be a new species sighting.  I don't know whether to be proud, or scared.

Shouldn't we be hearing from MTwarden soon?

qotd:  probably 140, but it's been awhile. I regained some of my lost winter weight, so now working on that. And then I'll have to work on some more.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

7 miles in the hood last night.  Fairly humid out but not too bad.  DS band concert last night was actually tolerable.  It was the traffic getting out of the school complex that drove me crazy.  Will get in something tonight.

From yesterday - dc - I am not an ultra runner - I just pretend to be.

QOTD: I haven't checked my weight in almost 2 years.  I don't need to.  My weight has barely fluctuated since college (nearly 20 years).

Getting worried about Warden.  Wasn't it supposed to be 4 or 5 days? Did they start Friday or Saturday.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Other interesting stuff (at least to me), it seems as if I saw a juvenile copperhead yesterday after talking with a ranger.  They're not known to be in this park (but are in neighboring parks) so it may be a new species sighting.  I don't know whether to be proud, or scared.

I see juvenile copperheads pretty often around here, SE Louisiana. The juvenile normally has a yellow tip on his tail. They are beautiful creatures, but they are well camouflaged. Thus, they can scare the crap out of you. Bites are not usually too bad compared to a cottonmouth or a rattlesnake. But I hope to keep that knowledge as academic and not actually experience it.

LB2

LB2

Getting worried about Warden.  Wasn't it supposed to be 4 or 5 days? Did they start Friday or Saturday.

Have a great day!

I just checked the facebook page and asked if everyone was out yet? I'm sure he is fine.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Stayed home last night and will be heading north shortly for a couple days, have a reception in Chicago Saturday night to attend for the daughter of my oldest and best buddy from way back in grade school. Wouldn't miss that for the world. But  yeah stayed home and had burgers on the spit with DW along with a beer or three. BTW--gas infrared, wood fired at the cabin.   I'll run an easy 6 on some nearby trails then some mtn. biking tomorrow.

runtrail--c'mon, embellish a little. A roll into the creek would have made the story that much better!

QOTD--Funny.  I was at my ideal weight for running and racing when I was 35 and weighed 162. Sitting here it dawned on me that I have gained exactly 1lb per year for the last 25 years. Despite the continued racing, high mileage, cross-train, and actually trying to eat well. Pitiful.  Just ruined my day.

E/A-- I have Wardens phone number. I think I still do anyway. Later on I'll call if he still doesn't check in to say if he's alive and well. I'm not worried about him at all though.

XtremeTaper

The Lady and I had 7 slow ones last night on the rocky side of Green Lane. We ran the upper trail first which is opposite our normal pattern, and also wandered some rarely used trails up there. A big scene at the park. A couple of ambulance, police, fire company, rescue type workers were parked along an access road to the trail. The ranger told me someone ran into some trouble out there but did not give any details. The odd thing is if I would have ran my loop in the normal direction I would have ran smack dab into where the "rescue" was taking place, as on my return of the loop I saw where the tracks of the ATV they used ended. They were gone by then.

Today... planet of fitness at lunch. 6 or 7 miles with the Lady this evening.

QOTD: I am pretty much 180-185 all year long, maybe a pound or two heavier over the winter.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning All!  I'm alive and well (for the most part ).  Started at 8:00 AM Saturday, finished Tuesday 3:45 PM- 79 hours, was hoping to break 72 hours- but the conditions were much tougher than expected.  My route ended being 122 miles; lots of vert, but it was the windfall, mud and snow that really slowed things down.  Still an epic trip to be sure.  I'll get a trip report up in a day or two.

qotd: probably pretty close to what I'm now- 180-ish; I might possibly be faster lighter, but probably less strong

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

My butt is sore, as in really sore.  I was pestering DW yesterday afternoon and she booted me out of the house, literally. Boy does she pack a wallop .   Ok, Ok. That's not what really happened. First I decided to go for a bike ride with her. When we got back DS was home from work and we headed out on another one. Got back from that with enough time for me to take the road bike out by myself.  50.4 miles on the bike equals a sore butt .  Gotta get used to this riding thing again.

Had some interesting sightings yesterday. First I ran over a nice sized blacksnake with the car that was in the middle of the road. Either a terrible decision on his part or he was committing suicide because there was no way to miss him. Saw about 2-3 dead ones on the rides. DS and I had a deer jump across the road in front of us that was close enough to actually scare us. Had it been just me I probably would have been going a lot faster and hit it.

The big sighting was when I was by myself. I was zipping along about 25-30 mph, went by a side road and saw a huge turtle strutting up the middle of the road. Looked  as out sized as that alligator on the Florida golf course if anyone has seen the video of that.  Slapped on the brakes, turned around and went back.  Very nice sized snapping turtle. Not quite as big as I had thought at first but a granddaddy none the less. Wouldn't be surprised if his shell measured  18-19" long. For us up here that is a big one although I've seen bigger.  Of course I had left my phone at home, so no pictures .

QOTD:  Probably about 155. A weight at which I have not been at since 2005. That took a pinched nerve and large doses of narcotics to get me there. Once I got my leg strength back I was actually quite fast on the bike so I'm assuming that would be the same for running. Right now I'm mid 170s and feel fat.  Once I get under 170 I feel much better and would be ecstatic to get to 165.

Daydreamer1

Morning All!  I'm alive and well (for the most part ). 

Glad to hear that, I was starting to get a little  worried.  Easy enough to break a leg and need some extra time to get out.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

HI WARDEN!    Glad to hear you're still alive!  Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Well, I'm still sick, but I guess I better run tonight in order to rack up some miles for June.  It's beautiful day here, so I might as well be sick outside instead of sick inside.

QOTD: No idea.  I've never been there.  LOL.  At 137 pounds, my BMI is 23 right now.  I could stand to lose a few pounds, but meh.  I'm slow no matter what I weigh, so who cares.

Running is dumb.

LB2

Glad you made it, Mike. I can hardly wait to hear about it. I don't think there are too many things that compare to that event, or non event as it may be.

LB2

runtraildc

Hmm, this one definitely did not have a yellow tip to it's tail, but had the rough diamond pattern emerging, reddish belly and a diamond shaped head.  That was my tipoff it wasn't any ole snake and why I didn't get a picture.  It was also pretty small-- 18".   Any thoughts? The park said they had rat snakes (not it) and eastern water snakes, which would have seen likely given the location, but not the diamond shaped head.

I see juvenile copperheads pretty often around here, SE Louisiana. The juvenile normally has a yellow tip on his tail. They are beautiful creatures, but they are well camouflaged. Thus, they can scare the crap out of you. Bites are not usually too bad compared to a cottonmouth or a rattlesnake. But I hope to keep that knowledge as academic and not actually experience it.

And Harrier, it would have been a three foot drop onto rocks and tree stumps in a flooded, fast moving current. Good story, but definitely not one I wanted to really experience.

muppy

13.8 on the  Appalachian Trail on Tuesday and 5.3 road miles last night.

Congratulations Mt Warden, sounds like quite the adventure!

QOTD I would like to be about 200 someday. I hover around 225 nowadays.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6.4 this am with the mutts.  Ran into a young kid, umm13ish in the woods.  I asked if he was riding to school and he said he comes to ride the trails before school and then rides to school.  I recall see his backpack on the ground there once before.  It warms my heart when a young kid is excited about something (besides video games or eating).  When I left for work this morning my husband had taken the roof off the jeep while I was running; it sure is a nice feeling when someone does something for you.  I need to pass it on more..  geez am I mushy this morning or what?   Gym at lunch.

QOTD:  I was once 10 pounds lighter and it made running really easy.   Of course maintaining that weight wasn't through healthy living so don't need to go there again but 5 pounds lighter would be better.  Had to admit though when I was running this morning I felt thin, when I work out at the gym those dam mirrors mess with your head.

LB2:  So miss my 4/10...such a better quality of life with those 3 day weekends.

MT: Way to go!!!  Hey Your not smiling...guess you were a bit worn out by than. 

DD:  I hate bike butt...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄