Trailer Trash

Don't Get Shot Mondaily (Read 19 times)

AT-runner

Tim

First day of deer season today in PA.  No trail run for a couple days until things settle down. The AT has a no hunting buffer zone, but some irresponsible hunters still push the limits, so better safe than sorry.

Had 2 nice runs and a long walk on the beach while in Chincoteague. Back to reality today.

QOTD:  How is hunting in your area? Have to stay away from trails, or not too bad?  Where I run is state land, so it gets overcrowded and there are always a few yahoos who shot at anything. Sunday is a no hunting day (for now) and the woods are packed with hikers / bikers / horses and runners on Sundays.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Hey AT, looks like a nice week for the hunters, unless they like cold, snow, and rain. A few runs this weekend but nothing of note. Just a few 5 mile trail runs. Ran 6 penny loop at French Creek yesterday, thinking the route I had planned would miss the Dirty Bird 15k racers but the course must have been changed some as I ran into the back of packers/hikers then faster runners doing multiple loops (they added 30k,50k option this year). A few recognized me and wondered why I was not racing. Saw a few hunters heading out yesterday to get a spot for their stands. I wished them luck with their hunt, which I believe surprised them!

Not due to hunting, but I think a 5 mile road run today. I've changed the battery in my watch and am interested to see how slow I've become on regular terrain. Plus gym stuff tonight.

QOTD: Trails are not too bad in my immediate area. French Creek and some places I run regularly are open to hunting so I avoid those except Sunday. Green Lane does not allow any hunting and Coventry Woods is bow hunting only and I don't worry about the bow hunters as much so I have several places to run. I really like the Sunday rule here in PA.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Good Monday morning folks. Haven't been out for a run yet, but will get in an easy 4-5 miles around lunch. We're looking at a glorious week- sunshine, warmth. Good week for running, especially as I'm playing catch up from being lazy earlier in the month.

qotd: Our deer hunters are professional sharpshooters. That's just how we roll in DC. . Actually, my nearest park is a national park (Rock Creek) and the others are county parks. Both with significant deer management plans and they close at dusk for a 1-2 month period mid-winter.  Meat gets donated to the food banks. Rock Creek has actually done a great job at managing the population, the county parks seem to just push the populations into more densely populated areas (where they cannot sharpshoot, but I can get close enough to hand feed them, if so desired).

Sandy-2

SRD today.

qotd: Down here in TX it seems that there is always something in season.  But the most popular is white-tail deer which is Nov to Jan.  Both mornings of our hikes last week we heard a few close-by gunshots.  In the early morning calm they were really LOUD !!!  Nobody in our merry band of hikers complained about wearing orange for some reason...  I talked to a hunter while at the campsite and said good luck, but also that we were hiking along the trail and we were all wearing orange, he was well aware of the trail and hikers and told us to enjoy.  XT, I also think he was a little a little surprised I was talking to him.

tbd.

LB2

Today is a rest day. I did run yesterday, but I am really in a funk right now. I have very little motivation to run right now. I also have some terrible stuff going on with my hips. It may take a few days of light running and heavy stretching to get that worked out. I have a 40 mile run coming in in about 2 weeks. I have no doubt I can do the 40 if I don't run another step between now and then, but I would like to run into it. I shouldn't have signed up for that 40, but it would be nice to finish the year by finishing a race.

QOTD: Situation close to me is mostly private land or privately leased land. Thus, that normally isn't an issue. However, my FIL, nephew, and I went hunting Friday. I just sort of walked down in the woods and they sat in a ground blind my dad put up. We saw nothing. Then, Saturday afternoon, I took them to another place we have, but my cousins were already up there. So, we rode on up the little parish (county) road and saw a bunch of young gobblers. They will be mature gobblers in the spring. I'll revisit then. When I run on the road, this is part of my route. Back in late January, 1017, I ran up this road and had an altercation with some yahoo who leases some land up toward end of the road. He was hunting the late muzzleloader/primitive weapon season (It seems almost anything qualifies as a "primitive weapon" now as long as it only has one shot. Hunter numbers are way down.) He saw me run by from his deer stand, which is way too close the road. He came down off his stand, got in his truck, and drove down to discuss it with me. I laughed that he was so mad. I guess he thought I messed up his hunt, but he is the one who messed up his hunt by leaving his stand, cranking up the truck, revving up the engine, etc.

LB2

GC100k

First day of deer season today in PA. 

really? I've been hearing gun shots pretty regularly for the past week. Maybe they were hunting geese or something. We were out on the AT yesterday and heard gunshots close by. My son was wearing a deer-colored jacket and we were like "you can't hunt on the AT, right?".

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Always a good day when you do not get shot!  No run yet.  Will get in some decent miles though this week - that is the plan anyway.

I had contemplated over the weekend of putting in my app for the LH 70 miler.  But I talked myself out of it.  I think that is a first for me.  Maybe I will do something longer in the fall when my schooling is finally done.  LH is just too close to really put in any sort of good training - although when have I ever trained well for a race?!?!?

QOTD: Lots of hunters out.  Doesn't matter that the AT is there, it runs through many a good hunting areas.  No trails for me for a bit - although Sunday is still a non hunting day in PA, right?

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Working today. First time since 1995 that I wasn't out in the woods on the first day of deer season .  In a way I kind of miss it, in a way I don't.  I'll have a lot of time to hunt the rest of the week and hopefully it won't be so crowded.

Slogged through a 6.6 mile "run" yesterday afternoon. Neither mind nor body were into it but once I was done I felt a lot better then if I hadn't run.

QOTD:  I stay off the trails during regular rifle season and during bow and muzzleloader seasons I pay attention to where I run.  From my perspective I probably have a higher risk of getting hit on the road riding my bike then I do getting shot in the woods. It's really become a very safe sport compared to 50 years ago before you had to wear orange.  Still I don't like to mess up someones hunt by running on the trails at this time of the year.  A good archer or muzzleloader hunter wouldn't set up around a trail but there are fewer of them out then during regular season.  I actually like the no hunting on Sunday rule we have here in PA.

AT-runner

Tim

really? I've been hearing gun shots pretty regularly for the past week. Maybe they were hunting geese or something. We were out on the AT yesterday and heard gunshots close by. My son was wearing a deer-colored jacket and we were like "you can't hunt on the AT, right?".

Not supposed to be any Sunday hunting, so must have been target practice. I've been hearing a lot of that the past 2 weeks, especially in Michaux near the shooting range (Long Pine Run Reservoir).

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

There is a gun range right next to the AT somewhere between Mechanicsburg and Boiling Springs.  It freaked me out the first time I was hiking on that part of the trail and then realized the range was pointing in another direction...I think

Not supposed to be any Sunday hunting, so must have been target practice. I've been hearing a lot of that the past 2 weeks, especially in Michaux near the shooting range (Long Pine Run Reservoir).

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

after lots of miles, climbing and slugging through snow- I am without elk meat in the freezer. Still I was in elk numerous times (just not a brow tine bull!), so I can’t complain too much. next year I’ll put in for a cow tag for that area, if drawn should up my odds significantly of filling said freezer 

plan on 4-ish miles after work

qotd: some of the trails I run are owned by the city so no hunting; others are Forest Service, but not a lot of hunting pressure- probably due to the proximity of the trails; although I have seen elk and a few dandy bucks when out. I do wear orange however.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

Running tonight. 10ish.

I used my new poles last night. Mostly hiking. I kind of don't have the necessarily coordination at this point to use them effectively while running. They really do make hiking the ups easier.

QOTD: I am not going to lie...I hate hunting season that seems to be neverending. I know hunters pay money that helps pay for public lands...blah blah blah. I usually run anyway, but the few people i have to run with are afraid to go out in the woods. The woman shot and killed by a hunter in upper NY state was shot after sunset when she wandered into private property. There is no way to legislate against stupidity and a shocking lack of common sense.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Running tonight. 10ish.

I used my new poles last night. Mostly hiking. I kind of don't have the necessarily coordination at this point to use them effectively while running. They really do make hiking the ups easier.

Run normally with them and tap the ground lightly to start. Makes it easier to get the rhythm  After you get used to tapping them, you can plant and push off a bit.  Good luck, you'll get used to them quickly.

Sandy-2

QOTD: I am not going to lie...I hate hunting season that seems to be neverending. I know hunters pay money that helps pay for public lands...blah blah blah. I usually run anyway, but the few people i have to run with are afraid to go out in the woods. The woman shot and killed by a hunter in upper NY state was shot after sunset when she wandered into private property. There is no way to legislate against stupidity and a shocking lack of common sense.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/us/new-york-woman-killed-hunter/index.html

Here's the article, I think there may be something fishy with this.....   shot with a pistol, after sunset, 200 yds away. Still, it's the nightmare scenario, a hunter isn't supposed to be hunting after sunset, shoots 'something moving'....   but who pays the ultimate price?

tbd.

LB2

Also bear in mind the following rule of thumb for when you hear a shot: Take the distance you think it is and double it.

An old game warden told me that once, and I tend to believe it. I was hunting a turkey one morning, and he was going the other way while answering my call. The woods were too open for me to make a move, and suddenly, I heard a shot that I just knew was right where he last gobbled. I was about to get up and go try to catch the poacher when I heard the turkey gobble again. As it turns out, a guy was hunting across the highway, and he was the one who shot, about twice as far as where I thought the shot was. I think I ended up killing a different turkey later that morning, but I never did get the one that was in that little section of woods.

LB2