Trailer Trash

Colld training Mondalies (Read 21 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

QOTD:  Can you train your self for cold like you can for heat?  I have a trail marathon in Feb and a 50 miler in Mar and I anticipate cold.  I don't typically do well in the cold so wonder if you can train yourself without affecting your immune system and then getting sick.

It's cold here today.  We got no snow but a lot of rain.  If it keeps up the drought (although not much of one at this point) will certainly be lifted. My pasture is a muddy mess and the horses are covered in mud.  Since my back was hurting a little and I had rammed my knee into the office chair and cause a huge bruise and I was so tired I just took the weekend off.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looks like a couple more days off running, so I'll hopefully get in some long power walks.  Finally got the abscessed tooth extracted this morning.  Oddly enough it wasn't pulled because the teeth were so crowded the dentist couldn't use forceps and had to pry it out.  Could still be a few more days before I can eat normally and no heavy exertion like running to let the area clot over and heal.  Went from a 50 mile week to a 14 mile week.

qotd:  As far as I know you never really acclimate to the cold.   Maybe you become accustomed to that particular discomfort, but mostly I think it's learning how to layer clothes so you're warm but not getting overheated with too many clothes.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

Tapering SRD today.

qotd: Not sure about any physical cold training effect, but I think getting out in the cold while training will let you know what works and what doesn't in terms of gear and warmth. Plus, there's the mental boost as in...   "it's only X deg, I've gone out in much colder temps during training".

Also, I've always heard that you don't catch a cold from being out in the cold. Contrary to what my Mom used to say.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.

Nurse Sandy - hope all is progressing well.

Moon - good to hear from you. Now where is FTYC?

QOTD:  I start to feel more comfortable after 5-6 cold runs. The first really cold run of the season, I'm layered up.  We've been cold for a week or so, so on Sunday, I was in jacket and short sleeved shirt. Had hat on to block the snow from the eyes and a balaclava over my ears.  I feel I do get used to the cold weather, but as George says, it's mostly the layers.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Probably just planet of fitness stuff today but who knows.

Anyways, 9 for me yesterday on the rail trail outside of town. Strange run. Hard to describe but felt almost like an out of body experience for much of the run. Would get in a rhythm and just sort of stall and slow down to a crawl. Repeated that for the whole run and eventually just slowed down to a jog/crawl  for good. Oh well. Nice calm day with temps around 30 and a fresh inch of snow on the trail and in the woods.

Oh, saw the stupidest thing ever. Not sure if anyone has watched the Bird Box but apparently people are now doing idiotic things while blindfolded. So I am about a mile or two from finishing my run yesterday. The rail trail is straight and flat and like a tunnel, and you can see for quite away ahead. I see someone on the distance, coming towards me about 1/4 mile away, flailing his arms about and wonder WTF. When I finally get near him, he is walking the trail blindfolded. WTF idiot. I really should have called him out for being stupid.

QOTD: Not sure of cold adaptability. I think it's a matter of finding out what works to keep you comfortable in the cold for the most part like other have said. To me, cold running is very pleasant when there is no wind. Of course my idea of cold is 15-30 degrees. Wind is the factor that makes it miserable. Had a few nice runs this weekend on cold (20-30) but windless conditions. Very nice. Just a long sleeve, short sleeve layer on top, shorts and extra layer for the johnson, skull cap and gloves. Perfect.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Heading out to the trails as soon as this coffee is finished. Running on dirt in the middle of January around here is a treat, a very rare treat. 10 day forecast shows only a slight dusting on 1 day so this could linger a bit.

QOTD-- Living here I find that a funny question. No disrespect meant. Not really sure at what temp it is considered cold. Also not sure what is meant by acclimating or adjusting to it means. It's just the weather and in half the country it is what it is for the season. And I never understand layering either. I mean how much can you wear and still move comfortably? Unless it's below zero I see no reason for any special thoughts on clothes unless your ice fishing or sitting around out there. Don't overdress, wear some light gloves and an ear band. You should be somewhat chilly for the first ten minutes or so then you'll start to feel comfortable. If your warm standing around at the start you will be overheatng once you really get going. You won't or shouldn't be affecting your respiratory system unless there are some other issues at play which I have no answers for. I just know millions of peeps just go about life in the cold regions and carry on including athletic events and recreation in sometimes brutal conditions. Embrace the cold! 

Sandy-2

AT - Thanks, in fact things are going so well I've been fired from my nursing job.  DW told me to go to work and that she'll be fine.

Also, thanks for all the kind words and well wishes from the whole Trailer Trash gang.  Very much appreciated. Nice folks we have here.

Looking at NH's reply to the qotd, and the part about feeling warm at the start made me laugh, so true.  In my marathon next Sunday I'm sure 1/3 of the runners will be shedding layers a half a mile in.  But it also reminded me of another thing that I always do when figuring out the layers to wear.  Always dress for 20 degrees warmer than the actual temp.  For example if it's actually 25 deg, dress like it's 45 deg out. As NH says it may feel a little chilly at first, but after a mile it'll be just right. XT's comments on the wind also need to be considered too though.  dhuff, I know that you are a fast walker, but you may have to cut down the margin from +20 deg to +15 deg.

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

Thanks Sandy...it doesn't help I grew up in FL, am thin (no insulation) and can feel cold in 50 degree temps.  I did one 50k where it rained the entire time, was 45 and since I'm not a fast runner it took me 10 hours.  I managed and didn't die .  I'm sure I'm going to be fine at the 50 miler in March, just stressing.

AT-runner

Tim

Oh, saw the stupidest thing ever. Not sure if anyone has watched the Bird Box but apparently people are now doing idiotic things while blindfolded. So I am about a mile or two from finishing my run yesterday. The rail trail is straight and flat and like a tunnel, and you can see for quite away ahead. I see someone on the distance, coming towards me about 1/4 mile away, flailing his arms about and wonder WTF. When I finally get near him, he is walking the trail blindfolded. WTF idiot. I really should have called him out for being stupid.

We saw it last week.

DD#2 sent us this article about a 17 yo girl who crashed her truck while driving with a beanie over her eyes. Stupid is as stupid does.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength trained yesterday morning, 3 miles with Tiny E in the afternoon

probably hit the trails after work today

few more pics from our Yellowstone getaway

qotd: I find I definitely adapt to the cold, how long it takes or why, not sure. In September, 30 degrees feels cold, by March I’m often running in my shirt sleeves at the same temps

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Got in a 7 mile 'DC monument' run in yesterday. About 5 miles in and at the Lincoln Memorial, the snow picked up significantly.Was a bit slippery driving home and lots of cars (and a bus) stalled out or stuck. Things come to a standstill here when we get snow-- there is simply not enough snow removal infrastructure to handle it. We've learned to just roll with it. I'd rather have my tax dollars being spent on something that gets used more often than once or twice every few years.  That said, I am a bit sore from running in it, though. I didn't really need traction, but 7 miles of adjusting to the varying slipperiness and snow pack tired me out. In a good way.

qtod: Not surprisingly, I agree with a lot of what Harrier says. Cold is relative and it's based on what you are used to. I do think there is an acclimation, but it's probably a lot more mental than physical.  And learning the layering system that works for you is key. Unlike Harrier, I think it is 'cold' for running when it gets to the low teens.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

We got up and ran 8..as like a back to back.   20 minutes late for work...oh well.  Oh did I mention the new boss changed my hours from 9 am to 5:30 to 8:30 to 5...prick! 

qotd:  I think cold is less a problem than heat which dehydrates you.  Course getting the clothing down right so that you don't over heat and sweat causing freezing later.  So maybe not training but more like dress rehearsal. 

dhuffman:  I drive by a muddy field and it has horses.  I feel bad for them and wondered if they are ok.  Since I know you are a good person I guess the horses just get use to it.  They do have a dry spot to go to.

Warden:  Nice pictures

runtrailDC:  NIce picture also.  One of my favorite monuments in DC.  Snow covered even reminds you more what soldiers had to go through.

dhuffman63

Trails

They have a dry 30' x 40' shelter, hay, grain and plenty of tree cover if needed.  They also have thick coats.  They like to roll in the mud anyway, warm or cold.

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out for 5-6 miles on the road.  Actual distance depends on whether or not DW goes for a walk and meets me. Lifting scheduled for later this evening.

Dhuff - Do horses just shed the mud as their hair grows or will they need baths and clipped like cattle do?

QOTD:  Based on my experience you can train yourself from a physiologic standpoint to get better at withstanding the cold.  I knew several men who worked at dredging river coal. Depending on the ice on the river they would work through the winter, so they were often working in water with wet hands and arms in 32-40 degree water.  There were reports of them sweating in 50 degree temps.  I have never worked outside in the cold that much but have had some occasions where I was working in the elements for a week or two and I could definitely tell that the blood vessels in my hands and feet did not contract as much and shunted more blood to the extremities.  I think you have to be in the cold a lot to get your body to adapt well. Just a hour or two a day while working or running will probably not do near as much as if you are our in the cold for half the day.   As always, when it comes to how your body may react it's a matter of YMMV, as we are all different.

I found this interesting.  https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/science/cold_acclimation_human.php

dhuffman63

Trails

In the winter I just groom them (curry brush takes the dried mud off best)  It's quite the workout and then they go and do it again