Trailer Trash

Cold-ass fat-ass Weekender (Read 22 times)

Sandy-2

I’ve been doing a little long distance coaching on the side...  my Croatian friend who actually isn’t a runner. But I’m slowly changing that when we meet during my travels.  He’s in great shape, a free diver, rower, and does do some small runs ( plus he’s about 20 years younger than I am), but his longest-ever run before we met was a 5k. Anyway he was inspired to do the Split half which is in a few weeks and asked me to work up a plan, which I did a month ago.  He’s been following...  sort of.  Anyway my run this morning happened to hit the number so I’m calling it a fat-ass half.  Sent this photo to him for inspiration. (I should add that it was a little chilly here this morning and I stopped to chat with friends a few times, a nice little  run though.) Anyway, if his old “coach” can do it so can he.

qotd: do any fat-ass runs lately?

tbd.

runtraildc

4 miles with the group this morning. Brisk winds out there, but it seems to have calmed down. Tomorrow looks to be a good running day.

qotd: Not lately. There's a trail group here that holds them every so often (maybe even one tomorrow?) but they are often a distance or date that doesn't work well for me. Tomorrow's run is tempting, but I'm not up for the mileage (25k). I should get my butt in gear...

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Too the day off from running

qotd:  fat ass runs iscaterm youbguys have often used and I have no idea what it means but think it’s a race that has no organizer like let’s show up and race.  So the answer is no, I think.

AT-runner

Tim

15* here this morning, so 40* colder than my run earlier thus week.

QOTD:  not lately, but might have one in a month near us. Yes, Sue, Fat Ass events are usually races without entry fee and do your own aid or bring something for everyone to use at AS.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Yes, Sue, Fat Ass events are usually races without entry fee and do your own aid or bring something for everyone to use at AS.

I agree with this definition, but I think it can also be expanded to your own "solo fat ass". I guess I think of it as your own race at a traditional distance, for example today's half marathon for me.  The origin of the name started as a way to have an "unofficial, low key race" to try and burn off excess weight from the holidays, hence the fat ass description.

I should add, I needed to run for the same reason as the name implies.  In fact I think I'll need to do a few more.....  

tbd.

NorthernHarrier

Camping in Fall Creek Falls state park in Tennessee. My base camp so I can run some area trails. Did one of my more epic runs ever today doing a 15 miler in Savage Gulf Natural area. Stunningly beautiful but extremely technical.  Wowza, they actually run a trail marathon thru there in March. That has to be grueling. So now I'm watching the weather for both here and my drive home on Monday. Cold camping btw as it dipped to about 20F overnight. More big plans for tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

QOTD--never have

moonlightrunner

Dear Winter,

I do love you. Each year I look forward to your arrival. I have enjoyed you this year, first your gentle nature extended the time I could run in nearly bare feet while enjoying your cold temps. As the temperature dropped and snow appeared I enjoyed your bluster, the millions of snow diamonds that stretched before me. You even carved a beautiful snow angel, seemingly just for my enjoyment.

Lately, you have changed. You are moody and unpredictable. You go from cold fluffy snow that is a joy to run in to wet heavy slush that sucks the life out of me. Many suffered for days as your mood swing gave us cold, dark and  frigid temperatures.  I could hardly walk to my car in let alone run in the woods. Then, you tease with spring like temperatures and laugh at or dismay when your cold mood plunges us back to frigid temperatures and blustery, biting winds.

What I am trying to tell you, Winter, I want to break up with you. I want you to pack your bags of frigid air and sticky cold snow and go away. Today would be a good day...leave today.

And Winter, if you choose to stay, as I suspect you will, I heard the first song of spring today as I ran down the trail.  I heard the call of the Titmouse, looking for love and announcing his territory. Spring is on her way and you will be forced to flee.

Sincerely,

MLR

--------------------------------------------------------------

I am weary of all the equipment and clothing and logistics necessary for winter running.

I do have a question for those who use hiking poles in winter. What do you wear? I cannot seem to keep my hands warm. I rarely need gloves when I am not using poles. I bought ski gloves and they did not work.

QOTD: I have not done any fatass runs by any definition.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Sounds awesome Northern

Camping in Fall Creek Falls state park in Tennessee. My base camp so I can run some area trails. Did one of my more epic runs ever today doing a 15 miler in Savage Gulf Natural area. Stunningly beautiful but extremely technical.  Wowza, they actually run a trail marathon thru there in March. That has to be grueling. So now I'm watching the weather for both here and my drive home on Monday. Cold camping btw as it dipped to about 20F overnight. More big plans for tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

QOTD--never have

Queen of Nothing

Sue

That just sounds like a training run 

I agree with this definition, but I think it can also be expanded to your own "solo fat ass". I guess I think of it as your own race at a traditional distance, for example today's half marathon for me.  The origin of the name started as a way to have an "unofficial, low key race" to try and burn off excess weight from the holidays, hence the fat ass description.

I should add, I needed to run for the same reason as the name implies.  In fact I think I'll need to do a few more.....  

22 miles on the Western States trail today.  This was the first WS "training camp," which covered the last part of the course to the finish at Placer High School.  Cold but not too wet when we started running.  After a couple hours, rain moved in, heavy at times, with some hail.  Too many water crossings to keep track of, and dang that water was cold (snow run-off from up higher in the mountains).  Mud, of course.  But I'm glad I went up for it.  A fun, low key run and a good workout.  Although I'll admit that at 4 am when my alarm went off, I briefly considered skipping it.

QOTD: out here, a "fat ass" is generally a group of people doing an event, but with no entry fees and minimal (if any) support.  And no permits, insurance, swag, etc.  I did a fat ass 50k at the beginning of December around the city of San Francisco.  They had it listed on Ultra Signup but it was free.  You got the route maps off of their website.  There were a few "aid stations," which were cars parked at designated spots with some water, snacks, and cookies that volunteers brought.  It was fun.  I joined a local fat ass group on FB so I can hear about other events.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

moonlightrunner

Sounds like an awesome experience!

22 miles on the Western States trail today.  This was the first WS "training camp," which covered the last part of the course to the finish at Placer High School.  Cold but not too wet when we started running.  After a couple hours, rain moved in, heavy at times, with some hail.  Too many water crossings to keep track of, and dang that water was cold (snow run-off from up higher in the mountains).  Mud, of course.  But I'm glad I went up for it.  A fun, low key run and a good workout.  Although I'll admit that at 4 am when my alarm went off, I briefly considered skipping it.

QOTD: out here, a "fat ass" is generally a group of people doing an event, but with no entry fees and minimal (if any) support.  And no permits, insurance, swag, etc.  I did a fat ass 50k at the beginning of December around the city of San Francisco.  They had it listed on Ultra Signup but it was free.  You got the route maps off of their website.  There were a few "aid stations," which were cars parked at designated spots with some water, snacks, and cookies that volunteers brought.  It was fun.  I joined a local fat ass group on FB so I can hear about other events.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

GC100k

Not running much lately. Combination of a lack of time and a lack of motivation. Swim meet all day yesterday for example and a lot of office work to get done today for tomorrow morning. And speaking of fat, I kinda lost control of my eating the past couple months and have put on a lot of weight.

QOTD: But I wanted to chime in and praise what we had in Arkansas. Nobody ever called them "fat-ass", but they had a lot of trail races that were well organized and managed, had good food, and were completely free. A dedicated group put them on, including Joe Fennel who owned several successful restaurants in the area, was a dedicated runner himself, and was a patron of local cross-country programs as well as supporting the trail racing series. He was the force behind the Chile Pepper (his first big successful restaurant was Jose's Mexican) cross-country festival, which is one of the top cross-country meets in the nation for high-school and college. Chile Pepper was held on the Univ of Ark cross-country course, where the many time national champion Razorbacks and I ran every day.

Anyway, it's a bit hard to pay $85 for IronMasters after what we had in Arkansas. I should try to get in the FatAss Tuskarora 50k next month.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

our streak of not getting above 0 has now extended to 7 days, -17 this morning (-35 w/ the wind) 

tomorrow they say we get above 0, we'll see about that

Cindy- in the cold for hands, think layers- I use a really light glove liner as the "base"- the thin gloves allows me to things that require a little dexterity; then mittens as the "mid-layer"- mittens are much warmer than gloves given the same weight, my mittens range from from very light to heavy fleece, and for bitter cold- insulated mittens (Apex insulation)- which ones are grabbed depends on expected temps; then finally a light shell mitten- Pertex, Goretex, eVENT- these cut wind and create a warm microclimate if you will- much like a windshirt (they double as rain mitts outside of winter)

with three pieces it gives you a lot of flexibility- sometimes if it warms a bunch I might be just wearing the liners, sometimes liners and shells, sometimes liners and mitts and sometimes all of them Smile

for insulated mittens look at Enlightened Equipment- they have a couple of weights to choose from and a variety of fabrics

to the gym today, possibly a strength train and dreadmill combo

qotd: they have a Fatass 50k here in January, I still haven't done it Sad

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Did 4 easy miles this morning. Warmer than yesterday, but still long sleeves and gloves weather (I was still sweating by the end though). Decided to sleep a bit and and not do any pre-dawn miles, it's nice to start a run when it's light.

NH - 20 deg camping, brrrrrr.

moonlight - Ok, but down here I'd much rather winter hang around longer.

CG - sounds like a nice group of folks up there in Arkansas, maybe I met some at Traveler a year or so ago. Hang in there hope the running bug comes back soon.

Gatsby - nice run, wish I could get out that way more often, love that trail.

mt - more brrrrrrrr.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

A short plod yesterday on the trails of French Creek, about 5 miles and 9-10 today in a "new place", Marsh Creek Lake. Never ran there even though it's only about 30-35 minutes away. A little disorienting at first but I stopped a mountain biker, got the lowdown on how to get across the deep marsh creek and over towards the lake and found a pretty sweet single track loop packed down by mountain bikes. Woods and lake views, small rolling hills. Just lovely. The lake was frozen but cracking and thawing. The pops and echo of the ice cracking is pretty cool. Sounds like a bad bass player. Did another trail section after the mountain bike loop but sections were unrunnable mud due to sun exposure and temps about freezing. A nice day on the trails. I needed someplace different.

QOTD: Not lately, but I've done a lot in the past. The TrailDawgs put on a lot of fatass races, Stumpy's Trail Marathon, FunRunium 25k, Festival of St. Roch 25k, and the Phunt 50k. The Phunt is now an organized race, with fees and all that stuff. It got too big. St. Roch was always my favorite, mid-summer race, with a deep crossing of the big elk creek that we called the "total immersion". The water there was over my head. Always felt great in the summer. No fees, no frills, mark your time down in the log when you finish, bring some stuff for the aid stations. Fun. Plus, St. Roch is the patron saint of dogs and dog lovers.

Image result for Festival of St. Roch traildawgs

In dog beers, I've only had one.