Trailer Trash

Motivation Monday (Read 29 times)

LB2

I ran a nice 6.2 this morning before the sun came up. I'll get 10 more after work on one of my favorite country roads.

QOTD: What do you do to motivate yourself if you feel like you are going into a slump?

I hit a slump this past weekend. I try to regain my focus on my goals. I am approaching taper time; this is no time to slack up. Well, it is about to be time to slack up, but I don't need to slack up too soon. For this race, I know I could probably not run another long run and still finish, but I would like to do more than just finish. So, I try to focus on doing what I think I need to do to meet my goals. Despite all that, I didn't do much of anything this past weekend.

LB2

Occasional Runner

Good morning! I did a hilly road run this morning, followed by some pretty stout circuit training. Getting ready for a fun 50k this weekend, which will serve as my las long run before my next 100.

QOTD: If I fall into a slump, I just mix up my training. I try a new trail, or switch to repeats, track…whatever. It usually snaps me out of it.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice weekend of working around the house and running.  Solo run on Saturday where I did some exploring. Sunday, DW and I did a 3 hour run and mixed up some trsil. We saw 10 MTB'ers and a group with about 15 horses. The horsey people were very surprised we were running on "such hard trails". Funny thing is DW and I were wondering the same about the horses. We, not being horsey people, were wondering how the horses feel going over such rocky terrain.

QOTD:  I get out some old maps or hit Google Earth and look for a new trail system. If I have to drive an hour to get to them. that's part of the adventure. It works every time. I sometimes think I enjoy the planing part as much as the running.

EDIT: One of the fun features with Google Earth is scrolling back to look at images from different years. I try to look for images captured in late fall or early Spring where you can see trail outlines without the leaves on the trees.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Morning, folks.  Still trying to figure out a plan for the day.  Will probably get 4 or 5 miles in later this afternoon.  Maybe while DH goes kiting.  If that's the case, it will be easy and flat.

qotd:  start a streak of some sort.  I've done streaks of 30 min of activity, minimum every day-- can mix up running, yoga, etc.  Or a running streak.  I was having a hard time getting motivated at the end of the summer so I started a streak after Labor Day that I plan to continue to New Years.  It's as much (or even more) a mental challenge than a physical one, but it definitely forces me out of the 'am I going to run today' mentality since that is not an option.  My minimum is pretty minimum-- a mile-- but I usually go more.

Daydreamer1

Got out of work late and have to be back in at 7 pm so I'm headed off to bed. Hopefully I'll get up in time to get in a 5-6 mile run.

It looks like Keystone finished Oil Creek in a little over 30 hours. Pretty sure that's his first hundred. Congrats.

QOTD: If I lose motivation it's often because of two things. Stress and overwork. The overwork is the easiest to change. I just cut back. The stress can be a little harder to manage, but if I can reduce the level my motivation will come back.

muppy

5.5 hilly trail miles yesterday then A 4 mile hike with the GF.

QOTD Uusually I lose my motivation toward the end of a training plan. Because I'm so lazy I just remind myself it's only a few more weeks until taper and I can take it easy,  usually that works for me.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Worked the early shift today, so I'll have a few hours for a nice run in the warm sunlight. Yay!

Congrats to keystone, well done!

QOTD: Like Muppy, I tend to lose it toward the end of a training phase in preparation for a race. Usually, I just push through then, reminding myself that I did not go through the whole training phase of several months to just mess it up in the last 2-3 weeks.

What also helps me is to change up the scenery. No harm done by going on the roads for a few runs, even when preparing for a grueling trail-100-miler. I always tell myself that this improves speed. 

Something that just popped up as a motivational boost for me is to jog through the hoods, enjoying the Halloween displays. Works during the holiday season, too, especially when I am forced to run in the dark. Intervals lend themselves to such runs, so it also helps in terms of "training", not just running for fun.

What works for me in a kind of weird way is to treat myself with a special something, like a chocolate candy, or a cup of hot cocoa, after each run. Strangely, I seem to work like a Pavlov dog, looking forward to the run and enjoying it, just because I get a treat afterward. 

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

What works for me in a kind of weird way is to treat myself with a special something, like a chocolate candy, or a cup of hot cocoa, after each run. Strangely, I seem to work like a Pavlov dog, looking forward to the run and enjoying it, just because I get a treat afterward. 

I do that with chocolate milk. I love chocolate milk and now will only have it as a recovery for a long run.

As a side note, I mentioned something about "Pavlovian Response" to a young (22 yo) patient the other day and she had no idea what I was talking about. I explained the whole experiment to her thinking "it would ring a bell", and she was like "never heard of it". I felt very old.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

6 miles on Echo Mt.  Two hours blowing leaves.

qotd  run to the top of every Mt. I can see from jump off rock. Run on the ridges on the east and northeast side of the mt and watch the sunrise. Run every trail in Pisgua Forest. Run the two oldest races in the area. Ran apple festival. Thomas Wolf 8k this weekend. Oldest race in Asheville. This is a tough-great course. Not a big race but a fast field.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

AT:

I do that with chocolate milk. I love chocolate milk and now will only have it as a recovery for a long run.

As a side note, I mentioned something about "Pavlovian Response" to a young (22 yo) patient the other day and she had no idea what I was talking about. I explained the whole experiment to her thinking "it would ring a bell", and she was like "never heard of it". I felt very old  wise!

9 gorgeous miles through the woods, some hills. This fall weather is glorious, makes the miles tick by effortlessly!

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

took advantage of Columbus Day off and had a beautiful run, about 16 miles and 3000' of gain along Helena Ridge (and out and back)- temps in the low 60's with a slight breeze- check that smile out! 

qotd: I'm fortunate I guess; really haven't hit any kind of slump save an injury induced one (knock on wood)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Slept in this morning and plan to run after work today.  Probably go up a little bit on the mountain.

WTG, keystone.

qotd: Exploring a new trail usually works for me.

tbd.

Keep Going

Thanks everybody!! That shit was hard! I don't care what Karl Meltzer says, 100 miles IS far! The human body is an engineering marvel. But the mind is incredible. I was so worried about the oncoming night and worried about falling asleep this and that..I thrived on the night running portion and was able to climb up 30 spots over night. I'm kindof in shock. I actually had probably the race of my life! I'm happy!

100 milers are my favorite

LB2

Thanks everybody!! That shit was hard! I don't care what Karl Meltzer says, 100 miles IS far! The human body is an engineering marvel. But the mind is incredible. I was so worried about the oncoming night and worried about falling asleep this and that..I thrived on the night running portion and was able to climb up 30 spots over night. I'm kindof in shock. I actually had probably the race of my life! I'm happy!

Hmmmm. I always pray that I can hold on until darkness falls. Some people don't get that, but I like running through the night, out of the sun.

LB2

Sandy-2

Hmmmm. I always pray that I can hold on until darkness falls. Some people don't get that, but I like running through the night, out of the sun.

+1

tbd.