Trailer Trash

Wet? Wednesdaily (Read 23 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Has been dry as a bone here, but maybe some rain today with a cool front moving in. Would be nice to kick some of this pollen down s I can breathe out of both nostrils at the same time.

Brought gear for a run at lunch.  Probably the horsey trails along the Battlefield.  Things are picking up here with "Tourons" so might be one of my last Battlefield runs until the fall.

QOTD:  Do you like to visit any Tourist Hot Spots (if so, where), or would you rather be somewhere less traveled?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Rain here yesterday a few times and must have been some overnight as well. Actually rained a few times during my run last night and given the warm temps very pleasant and the sun broke out and I ended up with a double rainbow run. One full arc over the lake, and another partial one. Even caught a glimpse of the rainbow mirrored in the lake when I stopped to let the Lady have a drink. Just a lovely spring run.

Much cooler today. I guess the plan is 7-8 miles this evening at Coventry Woods or Monocacy Hill, or maybe even the rail trail. Jumped into the Delaware Trail Marathon this weekend. I need a long training run in a race environment so this should fit the bill.

QOTD: I'd say typically we plan vacations to more laid back and quiet places, not hot spots or big chain hotels. While I don't seek out total isolation I don't like real crowded places either.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in a quick (but not really quick) 3 miles last night.

XT - good luck this weekend.  Are you doing MMT, or on the wait list? I vaguely remember you saying something about that.  Or are you at LH again?

QOTD: No touristy stuff for me.  I try not to anyway.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I ran yesterday, and it was horribly difficult. It was just five miles, but of course, the humidity was terrible. I was lethargic, tired, uncoordinated, and basically out of practice. I am not concerned because the first couple of runs after my break are always like that. But, I always think the same thing: "How did I ever run anything further than five miles?"

QOTD: With family, they usually want to go to some touristy place. I view running events as my vacation, and I like them away from normal people, which is never a problem. Another thing I try to do is do some sort of hunting trip every other year or so. And those are always primitive camping and I incorporate running into those.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD: No touristy stuff for me.  I try not to anyway.

That's why you'll love Chincoteague Island and Assateague Island. No big crowds (and great Ice Cream).

XT -  Reminds me of the list that included... "You know you're an ultrarunner when you add in a last minute marathon as a training run"

LB - Are you still pacing Kelly?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

11.8 miles yesterday on the Appalachian Trail and related trails. I saw about five or six hikers going through, the first I've seen anybody on there  I saw about five or six hikers, first I've seen any hikers in awhile.

AT, we need the rain bad,washing away the pollen would be nice also.

QOTD  we try to go to more out-of-the-way spots. A  perk of working weekends is every Tuesday and Wednesday when I'm off most people are not out and about in the tourism type areas.

NorthernHarrier

Just about to head out the door for work this morning when they called at 6:00 a.m. to say there was no work today. Lovely. Tried to take a short little rest on the futon but I was now wide awake with 4 cups of coffee working. GRRR!  Anyway, core and weights, more coffee, and now about to head out for a short interval session. Might as well then go mountain biking around here while I wait for the town yard waste center to open as I have a couple trailer loads to drop.

Wife and daughter are in Salt Lake City for a few days so the dogs and I will be heading north tonight until Sunday. Should be lots of work and play with an outstanding forecast.

QOTD--Well I guess I can best answer by saying in two weeks I'll be heading way up in northwest Ontario for a 10 day solo canoe trip where it is real doubtful I will see another person until I get out.

For tourist spots--well sometimes they become touristy because of some epic beauty or historical significance that draws in the folks. So it is a double edged sword. I mean Yellowstone or the Smoky's are pretty cool, just have to time your trip out of prime season. So I still do some touristy places but I generally try to avoid peeps as much as possible.

XtremeTaper

XT - good luck this weekend.  Are you doing MMT, or on the wait list? I vaguely remember you saying something about that.  Or are you at LH again?

I thought about MMT and LH, but decided on something different this year and will be running Mohican100 in June. I grew up nearby and spent time in that park as a youth so it's a homecoming of sorts, though I've never ran the trails there. I will be down at MMT volunteering at Shawl Gap.

Daydreamer1

SRD. Sitting at work. This place is really starting to irritate me . Wish I would have lived cheap like a monk or hermit and invested better/more so I could retire earlier.

On a better subject, I'm going to be doing the Delaware Triple Crown this week end and DW signed up for the 5k portion. Kind of looking forward to running something that isn't all hill, rocks and roots.

QOTD: I like to stay away for the real hot spots. When we go to East Tennessee we stay in Townsend rather than Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. We rent secluded cabins instead of motels if possible.  Some times though the crowds are hard to avoid, especially in places like the Grand Canyon.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

nice cool (low 40's) run last night, looks like about the same for today which is very welcome- hoping to get 5-6 this evening

qotd: avoid touristy stuff like the plague- Yellowstone in Oct-April, same for Glacier, my only trip to the Grand Canyon was in March

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

On a better subject, I'm going to be doing the Delaware Triple Crown this week end and DW signed up for the 5k portion. Kind of looking forward to running something that isn't all hill, rocks and roots.

Dreamer - I will be there running the full marathon (2 laps of the 1/2 course). Look for someone in a shockingly orange shirt, though I am tempted to break out my lucky white/red singlet. We'll see.

Keep Going

5.1 tempo miles on Hyner legs! Good times

qotd: Less traveled the better.

I will be down at MMT volunteering at Shawl Gap.

Taper I hope to see you at Shawl! Although I have no idea what you look like. But I will be bib #176 if you remember. I still remember meeting Daydreamer at Dam Full last year and he just started talking to me in Morse code or something and I had no clue what he was saying!  hahaha That was too funny looking back.

100 milers are my favorite

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Scheduled intervals tonight with the club, but I'm not sure I;m ready to get back to those yet. May ask the coach what he thinks, but I'll do what I want anyway.

QOTD: Some touristy places are enticing enough that I will suffer and endure the crowds. These include the Smithsonian Museums at the National Mall, Colonial Williamsburg, the art museums in Paris, and Machu Picchu.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Dreamer - I will be there running the full marathon (2 laps of the 1/2 course). Look for someone in a shockingly orange shirt, though I am tempted to break out my lucky white/red singlet. We'll see.

I think the 1/2 starts 10 minutes before you do.  I'll step out of the way when you come blowing by me .  I'll probably be wearing my Greenwood Furnace jersey or if not that one it will be a Hyner or Rothrock one.

NHLA

10 miles today on Black Mt. Trail. 1300' climb.

qotd  tourist are a real problem here. The trick is if you are running in a hot spot go early in the morning. Most tourist don't get up till 9:30 in the morning. DuPont Forest was private propery when I moved here. Now there are more tourist there than Pisgua. When I park my car at 8 am I am the only car but by the end of the run there are hundreds. If there are too many people at DuPont I drive over to Holmes educational forest three miles away and run.  Looking Glass Mt. is a busy spot if I get there and its too crowded I run the fire rd by the fish hatchery.

You have to have a backup plan if the crowds are too thick.