Trailer Trash

The Memorial Day weekender (Read 25 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So starting the weekender early maybe but I am thinking there won't be much posting with the plans everyone has, the races, etc.  So here it is...

Got in 8+ last night in what felt like mid summer heat n humidity.  It was a but oppressive.  We went from early spring wet and cold to mid summer h & H.  Not liking it but what can we do?!?

Good Luck to Warden at the open.  Going solo - be safe, hike/run strong, and most of all take pictures!

AT - hope the foot is ready to go tomorrow.  Take it easy in the heat.

Anyone else I missed for races or events?

QOTD: Does Memorial Day do anything for you? I always stop to remember my grandfather was served in WWII.  He was wounded in the war.  It never really hit home with me until I saw the movie Saving private Ryan.  I think I saw it on Memorial Day.  It made me think of him and ball like a baby.  So thank you for all that have served!

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Foot is moving well, but by tomorrow, I might wish I had an excuse. I'm going to start out very easy and take extra rest every 3 laps (4.5 miles).  Then hopefully I'll be ready to log some good miles after sun goes down.  Some big thunderstorms are likely going to roll through in the afternoon, so that will keep everyone's mileage lower than usual.

Thanks for all who served!

Good luck to all the racers and pacers.  Good luck, Warden!!!

QOTD:  Lost a good friend in Afganistan when he was ambushed. He was a career Army guy and a West Point grad.  Think of him often when I run this race every year.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

SRD today, but depending on when I get home this afternoon, I may run about 4 or 5 anyway.

QOTD: Yes. It does a lot for me because it reminds me that there are those out there who will make the ultimate sacrifice for a cause much bigger than themselves. It seems to be less common these days.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Started last evening's run a little later in the evening and was glad I did. Heat and humidity slowed me somewhat at the beginning, but by the last 1/2 it was starting to cool off and wasn't too bad.  I was going to go up on the mountain for a long run today, but I have to work tonight so I think I'll do a shorter run around the house today and do back to back long runs over the weekend.  That way I don't have to run when the heat is at it's worst.  So I'll probably get in another 8+ miles today.

Good luck to all the racers, hope everything goes well.

QOTD:  Some years I've almost forgot about the meaning of it. That's mostly because I'd be working over the entire weekend and it didn't seem like a holiday.  There are quite a few times though that I do reflect on the sacrifices that were made by our military veterans.

While I haven't been following the story too much, seeing the President visiting Hiroshima made me think  about the troops who did not have to storm the beaches of Japan. I had a uncle who did mop up duty on Okinawa  and his division was training to be one of the first to assault the mainland beaches. I've often wondered if he would have survived had they not dropped the bombs and went with a conventional attack instead. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Putting the finishing touches on my summer race schedule. I just signed up for a local 5K on June 4th, then added Running With the Devil 12-hour, one of the NJ Trails series. It looks like just what I was looking for as a prep for Elkhorn, 1100' of vertical gain per 3 mile lap.

QOTD: Sad to say, Memorial Day, like many of the holidays, is losing its meaning because holiday weekends are like any other weekend with work. It's really only when I see a news story or post on FB or a forum that I remember what it is that we are remembering or celebrating.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

While I haven't been following the story too much, seeing the President visiting Hiroshima made me think  about the troops who did not have to storm the beaches of Japan. I had a uncle who did mop up duty on Okinawa  and his division was training to be one of the first to assault the mainland beaches. I've often wondered if he would have survived had they not dropped the bombs and went with a conventional attack instead. 

I lived in Okinawa for a year when I was in the Marines. We used to take the long walk around this ridge to get to our work area; it was probably a mile or so each morning. One day, I noticed something out of place about half way up the ridge. We climbed up and found a cave that opened up to system of tunnels that went all the way through the mountain. It is hard to imagine that no one had officially discovered that place until 1988, but once word got out, they had some folks come up there and do some archaeological work. We had to be sneaky to get a shortcut to work after that. I spent a fair amount of time wondering what it must have been like for the Japanese soldiers using the tunnels and for the American troops who were off the coast. It had a heck of a view of the ocean. We found rooms in there; we found sleeping quarters that were dug into the sides of the walls. It was no museum tour; it was, in my mind, a discovery.

LB2

muppy

5.2 trail miles, I'm not ready for this hot weather.

QOTD  when I was young, we always had to go to the memorial day services in town with my grandmother and I used to hate it.   Today I realize we went because it honored a lot of her brothers and other relatives who were killed in the various wars.  I also have the honor of lowering and raising our flag at work for special occasions, so I think about whomever we are honoring when I do it .

Sandy-2

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone.

Good luck mt and AT, and anyone else...

I did 1.5 hours in the stationary bike this morning.  Only good part was my DD facetimed with me for 20 minutes so that was a very nice distraction for a while. Also had the iPod so that helped as well. Foot is starting to feel a little better.

Qotd: first off Memorial Day was always the unofficial start of the summer for us, usually the first big sailboat race of the season. Then there always was a big parade in our town that ended in memorial park with a few speaches so it was always a reminder of the real reason for the weekend. Quite patriotic as well.

By the way President Obama's visit to Hirishima was covered extensively here as well since so many Koreans (who were occupied by Japan at the time) died as well. Quite moving when he mention that and the other losses during the whole of WWII.

tbd.

runtraildc

Got in 4 miles in the gruesome heat and humidity this morning.  Our weather flipped to the other extreme and I am just not acclimated. Will try again later once the humidity drops for another 3 or 4.

qotd: I try to remember those that served, but frankly, I know only a few directly except a dear old uncle as a kid. Might head down to see Rolling Thunder tomorrow am (100K+ vets and supporters on Harleys in the heart of DC).

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Just spent three days at the beAch.  I did get a 7 mile run in on the road and mostly downhill so I am very sore.  My husband and I set out for a 3 mile job but after 1.5 miles we returned on the beach which had totally change from JAnuary... It was sandy then and big boulders now.  I should run today but all that fun has taken it's toll on me.   I also have chores waiting but a nap sounds better. 

Qotd: umm most holiday's have lost their meanings for me.  Just another day off. I appreciate those who have served and especially those who lost their lives and limps...wish we lived in a world where war wasn't neccessary. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Really need a long run today but this heat hitting so quick is going to make it brutal.  Going to head up on the mountain for 10-16 miles. Figure if I hit the first trail around 6 pm it should be starting to cool off and I'll just finish in the dark.

XtremeTaper

32 miles for me on the trails, 2 long laps around the lake, on a super hot warm humid day. It was 91 when we finished. This was really quite the mental challenge today. I guess physically too but the mind games were the worst. I did a lot of mind games today on the second lap. Run up this hill until that fence and you can a walk break. At that next trail turn, you can take a sip of warm water. If you keep running you will get that sip sooner. A 10 minute positive split, 2:47, 2:57, but that felt like a huge victory. It is time to taper.

QOTD: Memorial day while the official start of summer is for those who served. I did not, my dad was in the reserves and was never called to duty, but thank you to all the veterans out there.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So when you say "we" do u me you and Lady B ... She can run 32 miles?

32 miles for me on the trails, 2 long laps around the lake, on a super hot warm humid day. It was 91 when we finished. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 67 miles in the most miserable conditions that I've ever run.  Was 84* at the start at 10am and reached 94* with no wind and no clouds. Humidity was 62% for a heat index of 109.  Tons of carnage along the way. I decided I would be happy with 100k and would rest often.  Haven't downloaded the Garmin yet, but I took 4 very long stops (2 were over a hour) and we finished 2 hours early because temps were climbing and we didn't need a repeat of yesterday. DW did 57 miles and was happy.  Had one spell with a bad headache and another with nausea when my stomach was sloshing from water and tailwind.  This is my lowest 24 hour total, but I managed the heat very well, and DW and I did better than most, and that's saying a lot since this race seems to draw experienced timed event runners.

Now going to sleep for a while and then a few cool beverages tonight.

Hope Warden made out well.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

5.6 miles Friday and 5.0 hot miles yesterday afternoon.

Congratulations Mr and Mrs AT!  That's awesome, especially not being acclimated to the heat .

Xtreme, nice job on 32 miles in this heat and humidity!