Trailer Trash

Wednesdalies (Read 17 times)

Daydreamer1

Brrrrr....... Feels like early March around here. Temp is 50 but there is a nice wind so it feels a lot colder. Doesn't make me want to do any yard work and I have a bunch I need to do.  Going to try for a medium distance run, probably 8-10 miles later today, most likely on the road and dirt roads.

Two PSA's.

First is for the PA runners.  Be careful about running in the woods in your feather costume and long beard. Spring Gobbler season is in, so if you see some guy or gal in the woods in full cammo including face cammo don't be too alarmed, just don't gobble .

Second is for everyone. Registration at Hyner just opened up.  Why would I mention that when it's 11 months away????? Because the 25k is already at 523 people and the 50k is at 126.  So the 25k is over 50% sold and the 50k is approaching 50%.  It's a nice race, but, I don't quite get it with how popular it's become.

QOTD:  Any interesting, strange sights lately on the trails, at the gym, on the road or anywhere in general?

About two weeks ago I was heading up to the mountain for a run and saw the Roadrunner.  Yep, that's right, the Roadrunner. Had to be him and I'm sure Wile E. Coyote was some where behind but I couldn't see him. Now the Roadrunner was dressed in a disguise trying to look like a turkey, but there he was running across a hay field at top speed.  I've seen a lot of turkeys and there is no way one could run that fast. Dude was flat out moving fast. Had to be doing a good bit more than 20 MPH .

On the same run I was going down the mountain and had a 4-5 foot branch that has been laying on the trail for years try to waylay me. First it grabbed my right foot so I kicked it down the trail about 10 feet. Then it got onto my left foot and hung on and started alternating between the right and left foot.  Went on for about 70-80 feet maybe more going down a 8-12% grade .  If I could have kept a soccer ball on my feet for that long at the speed I was doing and not tripped, I'd have a professional contract.

LB2

Our turkey season ended a week and a half ago. For the most part we had summer weather. It started feeling like spring the day after the season ended. I had a long day yesterday, so I slept this morning. We have some serious weather coming in here this evening, so I am taking an SRD. Monday would be my normal rest day, but I knew this was coming.

QOTD: I haven't seen anything notable recently beyond a turkey or two. However, awhile back, I was coming up on a bridge on an old country road that gets very little traffic, and a pretty large wild hog was coming up a trail on the creek. He was going to cross the road but turned when he saw me. They have poor eyesight but exceptional hearing and smell. I was downwind of him and could have gotten a lot closer. I just clapped my hands, and he turned around. I could have almost speared him if I had been carrying a spear.

NOTE: Lately, I have had at least two people tell me that "They {hogs} must have really good eyesight because they saw me and ran away." It is well established that wild hogs have poor eyesight. I have gotten the wind right and walked across open fields and gotten very close to them, many times within bow range. Until I made a noise, or started blasting, they were not aware of my presence. They are, by no means, totally blind, but they cannot see that well.

LB2

runtraildc

Hi all. Managed to eke out 3.5 miles yesterday amidst lots going on. Including getting t-boned at an intersection by a kid running the red. DH and I are fine, but the car took the brunt of it and might be totalled (likely, I'm just slowly coming to terms with it). Love(d) this car but it's one of those VW diesels. So, instead of running today, I've been trying to figure out if we could buy a used one from Canada .

qotd: No, nothing unusual. But I have been enjoying the spring wildflowers

jonferg67

Endless trails

It was a little nippy here in NY this morning too. I started out

in the lee of our hill and when I came to the ridge I felt the

wind, but I was warmed up by then. I got in 4 miles.

QOTD: Nothing too interesting recently. Yesterday I saw a bunch of

tiny orange newts, I see them often after it rains. Last year at this

time I saw mama black bear on the trail I ran this morning, I've been

watching (and smelling) for her, but nothing so far.

I see interesting things during my commute into the Bronx, but that's

another topic.

NorthernHarrier

Took the new Escape in for a rattle that was driving me crazy and since the Arb is real near the dealer I trotted over there and put in about 9 miles with some intervals thrown in. Stellar day here. When I got back the service manager said the rattle was fixed and it all worked out nicely as you got your jog in too. Yup, got my jog in!  Not sure when that word became so profane to us runners--maybe 1975? Jeesh!

Got some ladder work and projects to do around the house but it is just so nice my road bike my take priority this afternoon. DW will understand.

Runtrail--glad you guys are ok. Scary stuff.

QOTD--Can't think of anything noteworthy. Saw some butterballs today which is the norm with yesterday being the exception. Certainly my time in Zion had enough of the typical National park tourons. Always humorous.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a  nice leisurely 5-ish miles on trails yesterday evening, beautiful evening- mid 50's. The crocus are just about done blooming, but shooting stars, various species of phlox, yellow bells and just starting- arrowroot, are making up for the loss.

Plan is for 7-ish this evening. We're getting a really warm front rolling in- supposed to hit low 80's, fingers crossed it's short lived

qotd: nothing unusual here to report

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Almost 4 on the mean streets of Garden Grove... ran to a park that had a 3/4 mike track... I was having pain behind the knee... i think I won't run tomorrow or at least TM not cement.

Qotd: Handful of homeless guys...I don't usually see them where I run.

I forgot to mention a co-workers husband passed away last night...so this ties in with yesterdays QOTD... when stressed count your blessings.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Runtrail - Glad to hear you all were OK. If it's one of those VW diesels that they are no longer allowed to sell it must be fairly new which means that you all took a pretty decent hit to end up totaling it.  Getting one out of Canada would be interesting. Let us know if you try that.

Hope things go well when dealing with the insurance companies. DW and I hat been in about 11-12 accidents so far, all the other person's fault. Dealing with the insurance crap is always the worst.

Daydreamer1

Since there has been some turkey talk on here today I thought this was an appropriate link.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/05/turkey_flies_away_after_collis.html#incart_river_home

So.......just how tough are the turkeys in you area?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Dc glad you guys are good!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. DD-it's a 09 with 140K miles so we think it's borderline. The rear wheel is at an abnormal angle so there may be some axle damage (diagnosed from not-a-mechanic).

The canada idea needs some research, but the exchange rate makes it very appealing even with an import tax. Maybe as long as I'm trying not to import milk or lumber, I should be good? 

Runtrail - Glad to hear you all were OK. If it's one of those VW diesels that they are no longer allowed to sell it must be fairly new which means that you all took a pretty decent hit to end up totaling it.  Getting one out of Canada would be interesting. Let us know if you try that.

Gator eye

DD- I ve done that shuffling act with a stick somehow rapped around both feet at the same time. So far the sticks have won and succeed at giving me a face plant.

Solo 10 this morning. Mr Jangles was not pleased but i felt the need for speed and Jangles only has one gear.

QOTD: humm nothing lately.

AT-runner

Tim

DC - Yikes.   My dad was killed in a T-bone accident, so always hate hearing about them.  Kid was probably texting.

Ran 3 east miles at lunch.  Might walk later with DW.

QOTD:  Nothing in a while on the trails.  Thru hikers are starting to come into my area, so I'm sure I'll see some strange things soon.

I did see a guy dressing in a clown suit smoking a joint, but that was Portland, and that doesn't even count as weird out there. (The way DD has been rambling on about fighting shoes and Wile E Coyote, maybe he was in Portland, too)

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Prolly juts something short tonight.  Temps are going down again.  That's ok though.

DC - you got a nice steak eh? Sorry couldn't resist.  Glad you and DH are ok.  Cars can always be replaced.

DD - I saw that Hyner was already half full, or more.  That is crazy.  I don't understand why they open it so early.  Glad I have no desire to run in the event anymore.  I do miss the trails though.  I was thinking of maybe volunteering there one of these years and run the trails solo before or after the event.

QOTD: No nothing interesting lately.

Have a great evening!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

(The way DD has been rambling on about fighting shoes and Wile E Coyote, maybe he was in Portland, too)

Well these days you never know what one might get exposed to when standing by someone puffing away .

Actually did a little research and found out that wild turkeys can run as fast a 25 MPH.  Not really fast enough to get away from one of our local Wile E. Coyotes  (or maybe he thought that LB2 was in the area)  but fast enough to get from one place to another real quick.  Actually I suspect that he was heading for his next girlfriends place .

Also found out that since wild turkeys are more active they have a lot more dark meat.  Might have to start hunting them, I hate white meat.