Trailer Trash

Weekender (Read 17 times)

Daydreamer1

Trying to figure out why I'm at work today. Oh, that's right, the bills need to be paid .  Twood be a lovely day for running if I wasn't stuck here on a busy day.  Of course after yesterday's run I do need the rest. Put in 20.2 miles. The run report would read like a ultra RR. First 50% went well. next three miles started to slow down, between miles 13-16 the run/walk strategy was employed, at mile 16 the legs went on strike. After some bargaining with them they agreed to shuffle, stumble and stagger the remaining distance. Today I'm tired and tight and doing a lot of stretching.

QOTD: Trying any new recipes lately or eating any new unusual foods?  DW just made a new recipe for crockpot mac and cheese. Tastes pretty good, but since it takes milk, condensed milk, eggs and cheese it's very rich. Kind of like cheese cake. Tastes good but you can only eat a little. I think next time we will add some water and more macaroni.

runtraildc

I think it's another rest day today. Was busy with other things and really, who am I kidding, it's almost cocktail hour.  Lots of walking and garden work, though.

Qotd: Well, I made a quiche yesterday to use up a bunch of eggs. Burned the bacon, then added leftover couscous, thinking what could it do? Well, turned out 'dense'. We still ate it though, and it made for a filling and portable breakfast at the swim meet.  To make up for it, hamburgers are on the menu tonight.

NorthernHarrier

Hanging out at the shack as severe storms are rolling in. Did 90 minutes out on the trails and it was breezy, muggy, and very warm so with the thunder in the distance and getting louder I was really hoping to get caught in a good soaker to cool off but no such luck.

and really, who am I kidding, it's almost cocktail hour. 

I like your way of thinking.  Happy hour just started here too!

QOTD--Well I have no pride. Up here with the closest decent grocery store almost a half hour away and thinking I want to whip up something to munch on I searched the cupboards and pulled out a Betty Crocker instant cookie mix. Yup, that'll work! 

Sandy-2

Did 5 mi in the heat after work yesterday, really hot.  Then this morning did 8 mi, still tropical and of course very humid. Everyone I was running with was struggling.  Ugly.  I lost 5 lbs of water weight this morning.

qotd: my DW is a great cook and tries new stuff all the time. I'm a lucky duck.

tbd.

moonlightrunner

Happy weekend to you all. I've been MIA once again. Still looking for a job. I cannot figure out why I don't even get interviews. People are not supposed  to discriminate on the basis of age, but sometimes I wonder. It is very disheartening. I may yet end up working at McDonald's. My parents have decided to sell their house they have lived in for 50 years, so I am spending a great deal of time trying to get that goat rodeo under control. They are so old, and so slow, and THEY HAVE SO MUCH STUFF!

Now, for my running. It has been going so well lately. I ran a really fun 14 miler two weeks ago. It was a fun race (on a farm). It was muddy, and it rained, and I got lost a little. It was just what a race is supposed to be. After the race though, I fell off the training wagon with so much going on with my parents, and...the frustration of the job hunt.  I am going to get back at it tomorrow. I want to run Dances With Dirt Hell 50k in September. So I need to get training!

qotd: Well, I just made a layered taco salad to take to a potluck tomorrow. It is a new recipe. I hope it will be good.

Sandy: I don't know how you get through those hot, humid runs. It sounds awful. You are tough and determined.

DD: Glad you got through the 20 miler. I remember long runs like that. I hope to be at that level again soon.

Runtrail: hope the cocktail hour went well. A glass of wind sounds good now....but...I would have to get out of my chair to get it.

NH: I hope some of those storms you are having make their way across the lake. We need rain. The garden well has very little pressure for some reason, and watering is a tedious pain in the butt!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Got that 5K road race out of my system this morning. Only problem was an idiot course monitor who was stopping the runners instead of the traffic.

qotd: As far as cooking I throw whatever into my frying pan or pot and cook until hot.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

I sort of accidentally caught up on my running over the last few days. I have really been in a funk the last few weeks. The weather has only made my mood worse, just hopelessly humid and muggy and nasty for the last two or three weeks. Anyway, I have also changed my training to log hours instead of mileage. There is still a mileage component involved because I know the distances of most of my routes, but I am logging time in a spreadsheet but still keep a running total of mileage here on this site.

QOTD: Nothing new lately.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 5 yesterday and 6 today all on trails.  Legs felt a bit wobbly today since this is the first back to back day I did this week,  SRD tomorrow and I plan on another east week for recovery.

Moon- sorry about the job. Any Tamp agencies that can place you. That seems to big a big hiring strategy again with the costs of insurance making temp hires appealing.

LB - I just figured it was always humid in LA.  Is your hot spell unusual for this time of year?  If so, when does the real stuff hit. We get bad humidity near end of July into August. Maybe 4-5 weeks on average.

DD - what are you training for?

Sandy - 5lbs is about 80 oz of water. That's a lot to drop. Must have been brutally hot.

DC - did you have your adult beverages?

NH - I confess, I've made cookies box cookies before.  DW trained as a pastry chef and didn't disown me.

George - Why would they stop runners. That would be upsetting in a 5K where you could add 30-60 seconds easily to you time. Wow.

QOTD:  DW tried something new the other day from "Tasty" on FB.  It was an easy Mexican casserole. Tasted like Mexican food. I added Sriracha, but then again, I always add Sriracha.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Got in 5.3  slow and sluggish miles on the rail trail yesterday.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

QOTD I've been making  strawberry shortcake lately with fresh strawberries!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George - Why would they stop runners. That would be upsetting in a 5K where you could add 30-60 seconds easily to you time. Wow.

He claimed it was a state road so he couldn't stop traffic. Funny they had no problem stopping traffic when we crossed the same road 600m into the race, nor in the previous years I've run that race. The guy was totally ignorant of what he was supposed to be doing. There were even signs up warning traffic on the road that there would be stoppages.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hey folks. Did we ever find out where MTWarden is?

Moon: Sorry to hear about the job search. I have no encouraging words

to offer, my own experience was difficult and really twisted my self-confidence.

I do hope it shifts for you soon.

I ran a trail HM this morning up near Poughkeepsie, it was awesome. This

was THE absolute lowest key race I'd ever run, closer to FA than race. About

20 runners, no race number, aid station was gallon water on side of trail. What

it lacked in fanfare in had in encouragement and camaraderie, great group

of folks. I ran well and had a great time, only hiccup was a huge blister that

started at mile 3ish.

QOTD: The only new recipe is baked brussel sprouts with tahini sauce.

AT-runner

Tim

Hey folks. Did we ever find out where MTWarden is?

Saw on another site he finished Tuesday evening . Can't wait to hear about his adventures.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

LB - I just figured it was always humid in LA.  Is your hot spell unusual for this time of year?  If so, when does the real stuff hit. We get bad humidity near end of July into August. Maybe 4-5 weeks on average.

For the most part, it is always humid. I don't think it is unusual. The one thing I find a little bit off is how bad the horseflies are right now. Normally, they kill me all through May, but this year, they were a little behind. I never let my guard down; I knew they would come sooner or later. This morning, I ran with a buff. After my first 3.25 mile loop, which was painfully slow, I had three gnawing at my head, and at least two on my back. I killed one or two on my head and at least one on my back. At that moment, I decided that I would not run the other loops I had planned. In fact, I was going to quit running once and for all. It just isn't worth the pain of the bites. Then, I found some Cutter Natural insect repellent. That seemed to work great. I finished my long run, went to Sunday School, then church, and I haven't said one bad word all day. I didn't even curse when I was getting bit. I just swatted between a bunch of "Arrrggghhhh!!!"'s.

It gets really bad in August and September, but it pays off in the fall, winter, and into spring. Most days I do okay unless I get hit with a bunch of direct sunlight, which kills me without a big straw hat.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Skipped the run again today and spent 2 hours mtn. biking. A little warm again today but another front will roll thru this evening and tomorrow sounds like it will be spectacular. Convinced DW to take the dogs home with her tonight so I am freed up to do a long and epic run in the morning over in the Pictured Rocks National Shore. It's a pretty good drive from here so between the drive to and fro and the run it will be an all day event. Google up images of it if you're not real familiar as it is some awesome shoreline with rock formations, beaches, and mile high dunes.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Daydreamer1

Just finished up a slow, stiff 5.5 miles in the dripping rain. Went pretty good considering how stiff I was yesterday.

I finished my long run, went to Sunday School, then church, and I haven't said one bad word all day. I didn't even curse when I was getting bit. I just swatted between a bunch of "Arrrggghhhh!!!"'s.

So are we to assume that the preacher had announced last Sunday the sermon was going to be on swearing .  If it was maybe I should have jetted down there. Swearing is my major vice . I tell DW that my descriptive speech keeps me sane .

AT- I'm trying to build miles in preparation for the Montour 12 hour July 22nd.  It's coming fast and I'm nowhere near where I wanted to be.