Trailer Trash

Wonderful Wednesday (Read 16 times)

Daydreamer1

Partly cloudy, Temps are going into the mid to upper 50s, light breeze at the most right now but may pick up some later.  Pretty nice weather compared to what we've been having.  Going to head up on the mountain early this after noon and try to get in my first double digit run of the year, including a 1  1/2 mile climb.  I should feel good after that.

QOTD:  As trail runners I think it goes without saying that most of us like some adventure in our lives.  So......... Would you go storm chasing? I'm thinking mostly about tornadoes in the west and trying not to just get pictures but getting really close to gather weather data?

I would. As long as the people that I were with were good intelligent people, not just a bunch of dumb idiots. I've seen some video taken of people chasing storms and some times the people seem competent and able to think on their feet and take calculated risks, other times it's from people who seem impulsive with few actual functioning brain cells.  For me that would make all the difference.

I would also fly into a hurricane as part of a study team or  do other weather studies that sent me into the worst of storms. I love bad weather.

The reason I was thinking about this is because 3 storm chasers were killed yesterday somewhere in TX.  I am not, in any way, suggesting that they were some of the dumb idiots out there. It just made me think about doing it and the risks involved.

LB2

I ran a short 2.5 this morning, did a negative split on it. We had a weird night. I have a cousin who has some disabilities, but doesn't recognize his limitations. He rode his four wheeler up to the store, which is not legal. Anyway, he got hit by a truck on the way home. They air lifted him to the hospital, and he went into emergency surgery. At first, the injuries were not considered life threatening, but once they got in there, they realized there was some bleeding on the brain. I'm no brain surgeon, but that doesn't sound good. One of his legs is totally screwed up. So, keep him in your prayers. Years ago, he fell out of a deer stand and spend the night in the woods. I found him the next afternoon and was able to get back in there with EMT's and a 4X4 to bring him out. He has more accidents than anyone I know. And, frankly, he has to be the worst hunter I have ever known, yet he loves it with a passion. His sense of direction is completely backwards. I hope he makes it through this.

QOTD: I would definitely storm chase, but I would not want to do that with idiots, either. I have been caught in bad weather many times: white outs, flash floods, hurricanes, typhoons, violent thunderstorms, etc. I swear last spring I thought I was going to get struck by lightning. I was caught in the middle of a wide open field in a very aggressive lightning storm. I managed to make it to a barn and took cover. And when I was in the Marines, we got hit by a typhoon that was pretty serious in Okinawa. We had to be out in it, working. And, as mayor, I was out in two or three hurricanes as part of the emergency response team.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a wonderful run in yesterday evening; planning on 6-ish this evening- highs forecast in the mid 50's 

qotd: I don't think so; I like watching storms roll in when I'm in the mountains, but I don't want them rolling in too close  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Still recovering from the chiro.  I probably won't attempt to run for a few more weeks.  I did schedule a bike fitting for my new bike though, as it's very needed.  I also took my old bike into the shop last night to get a full tune up, new bar tape, new hoods, and new brake pads.  Damn bikes are expensive to own.

QOTD: Maybe.  I mostly like watching storms from the comfort of my porch/deck.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Easy jog this morning for a few miles. Beach walk later after I finish my third book of the week.

QOTD: Iove watching thunder storms but have no desire to chase down a twister. I've ridden out 2 pretty good hurricanes and when lived in Iowa we had to take shelter from a tornado that got within  a 1/2 mile of us. None of them were fun.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

A really nice 6 mi run on a trail near Gatlinburg (Twin Creek Trail for those that know this place). The trailhead was a half mile run from the hotel. The girl at front desk sent me there.

qotd: I agree with AT, been too close to some hurricanes so I know just what's involved.  But I do remember getting in trouble with my DW for going to the beach in a hurricane. I guess that answers the question. 😎

tbd.

Daydreamer1

They air lifted him to the hospital, and he went into emergency surgery. At first, the injuries were not considered life threatening, but once they got in there, they realized there was some bleeding on the brain. I'm no brain surgeon, but that doesn't sound good. One of his legs is totally screwed up. So, keep him in your prayers.

Head injuries with bleeding are never the best.  I rarely call the helicopter in but have flown several traumatic brain bleeds out in the past year or so.  Several needed surgery to evacuate the clots and stop the bleeding. They all survived.   Often it depends on the hospital and the skills and attitude of the doctors.  Hope he makes out OK and has a full recovery.

LB2

Head injuries with bleeding are never the best.  I rarely call the helicopter in but have flown several traumatic brain bleeds out in the past year or so.  Several needed surgery to evacuate the clots and stop the bleeding. They all survived.   Often it depends on the hospital and the skills and attitude of the doctors.  Hope he makes out OK and has a full recovery.

They took out a portion of his skull to allow for swelling or bleeding or whatever. He has some broken ribs and at least one shattered leg (not sure what "shattered leg" means exactly). No real details since last night. I rode by the accident scene and stopped this morning on the way to work. I'm not sure why. I didn't see any skid marks or any sign of an accident other than a fair amount of blood on the pavement.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Almost 6 this morning.  I made the old man go to bed at 10, so he was ready to get out of bed at 6.  It sure is easier to get out of bed when he also gets up.  I never have a problem with my morning run when he is out of town.

QOTD:  No, I am not an idiot.   Ok read others and sure I might like to go along with professionals.  But I do love bad weather too...

LB...sorry about your cousin.  He sounds like the kind of guy that always pulls through some how.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

5 miles in the sunny, warm woods. Perfect running weather and for at least the way out, I had the woods completely to myself. Then on my return, everyone and their dog was out. Still nice.

qotd: with the professionals, maybe, but probably not. But then, the idiots still think they're 'pros'. I've seen enough tornadoes to know that I don't really want/need to chase them.

LB2

LB...sorry about your cousin.  He sounds like the kind of guy that always pulls through some how.

Just got a message that he has been placed on a ventilator until tomorrow afternoon. He is too sedated to breathe on his own. He is critical, but they are hopeful. But he is super banged up, broken leg (or legs) that will require surgery and some broken ribs in addition to his head trauma.

LB2

Gator eye

8 this morning, i need to stop skipping those long weekend runs if i'm ever going to get a race in this yeara

QOTD: only if there is beer involved

XtremeTaper

No run yet today, but will get out for a few miles later. I am sort of on the 7 mile plan this week. Last night, sort of a nice peaceful rainy run on the trails of Coventry Woods. Driving to the trailhead I could see the ridge shrouded in fog and mist but once I made it to the top it was only slightly foggy up there. The Lady and I just putzed about, untimed run, and despite the steady light rain the trail conditions were pretty good. We saw no one on the trail, but finishing up a lone straggler was getting ready to go out for a hike. The Lady made friends with him, and I told him to enjoy his hike. I was surprised to see anyone to be honest.

QOTD: I see no reason to chase a storm. I will sometimes sit on the porch or deck and watch them blow in though.

LB2 - Sorry about your cousin. Sometimes I wonder if certain people or more accident prone than others. I hope he recovers.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

LB2 - Sorry about your cousin. Sometimes I wonder if certain people or more accident prone than others. I hope he recovers.

He is an example that definitely supports your thoughts. However, he has some disabilities that physically limit him, yet he forges ahead, oblivious to his limitations. In some cases, that is great. At times, it is not.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

LB - good luck to your cousin. Craniectomies are very common to give room for brain to swell after trauma so are induced comas for ventilation purposes. Sounds like he has  a long road ahead. Wish him the best.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!