Trailer Trash

I still may need new shoes now! (Read 38 times)

GC100k

I'm guessing any hair on his toes would be rubbed off with no socks.

I have never run in shoes with no socks. Ouch.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

and you young lady can get a new pair of shoes!! 2009

Ha!   Don't you worry about me, Sue!  I have more shoes than I care to admit.  I use the 2009 shoes for biking now.  (Because I'm not enough of a cyclist to buying proper cycling shoes.)  They're the perfect shoes!  I just can't throw them out!

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Time for a pedicure?

I’d call them running sandals and get another 300 miles out of them. On grassy trails. Or use them as water sandals for fishing trips?

Run for fun.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

+1 to calling Hoka.  Brooks replaced a pair of road shoes after a seam started coming apart less than a 100 miles.

+1 more that's really bad for just 300 miles.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wrap a little of that old style white athletic tape around them and they'll be fine for another 300 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

moonlightrunner

You all wear socks AND shoes??? Even when it isn't snowing? The thought of wearing socks makes me feel claustrophobic.

Those shoes blew up! You should wear 5 Fingers...they last and last and last!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You all wear socks AND shoes??? Even when it isn't snowing? The thought of wearing socks makes me feel claustrophobic.

Moonlight, I hate to break it to you, but I believe you are the outlier here.  

Running is dumb.

moonlightrunner

Moonlight, I hate to break it to you, but I believe you are the outlier here.  

I know...in the old days I used to study shoe reviews . ..it was so fun. Now, I have little to choose from. Sometimes I miss the fun and that cushy feeling if new shoes with fat mid sole...like running on a cloud! Until I blew out the mid sole.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

moonlight, I admire you for your barefoot running! (insert emoji with heart-eyes here)

I have always considered barefoot running, even here on the very rocky and rugged PA trails, just for the agility and more "natural" feeling of the feet connecting with the ground much more than in conventional shoes. When I was a kid/teen, I used to hike barefoot (really bare feet) for many miles in the Austrian "mountains" (actually the rolling hills bordering the Alps). I enjoyed so much.

Now that I'm running shorter distances, I think I might try it out. While I like the "running on clouds"-feeling on the road, I prefer to feel my feet navigating over the rocks and roots on the trails.

Some suggestions for shoes? We have sharp rocks here, too, and twigs and roots sticking up from the ground, so some protection is definitely needed for the soles.

Run for fun.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

If by "natural" you mean injury-prone then I guess barefoot running is cool.  Seriously, every single person I've known that has tried switching to it has ended up with foot injuries.  Probably the too much too soon but, phuck that.  Who has time to go find some nice soft grass somewhere to waddle around for months to get the feet properly transitioned?  And then if I did that exactly where will I do this barefoot running?  On the sidewalks when it is 189 degrees in Phoenix?  On our nice and rocky trails filled with cactus?  I'd be relegated to the parks with grass dodging dog shit.

And no way in hell am I running in those goofy-assed Vibrams.

You people have issues 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Like I said, I've been hiking many miles barefoot (really barefoot), even a few years ago. Never had any foot trouble. Never had any foot trouble when running, either, no matter which shoes I was wearing. Therefore I guess I'd be a fine candidate to try "barefoot" shoes.

I am currently running in Brooks Pure Grit (first generation), which are minimalist shoes, and never had trouble in them, not even on the rocky PA trails. I have done 20+ mile runs in them with no foot problems. Maybe it's because I don't weigh much, so there's not a high load on my feet. My feet are also very strong, probably because I go barefoot around the house, never wear shoes there, and I'm on my feet all workday long.

But giving you some credit, FSocks, I wouldn't necessarily run on cactus-covered trails in the desert wearing just barefoot shoes.

Run for fun.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I know some people that do it successfully; a guy at our running club wears Vibrams everywhere and that's what he runs in as well (trails too).  Of course he's a patchouli smelling hippy so there's that.

You people have issues 

GC100k

I know some people that do it successfully; a guy at our running club wears Vibrams everywhere and that's what he runs in as well (trails too).  Of course he's a patchouli smelling hippy so there's that.

https://youtu.be/NPdb7ZDJKS4?t=26

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Of course he's a patchouli smelling hippy so there's that.

You should really swing by here more often. 

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I've taken worse risks in my life than a foot injury. Probably positioning myself next to patchouli smelling hippy trail runners is one of them. 

Run for fun.