Trailer Trash

I still may need new shoes now! (Read 38 times)

moonlightrunner

I like my Virbrams, but I will admit to a few broken toes. I have had no overuse injuries of any kind in the 10 years I have worn them. I also like Vivo Barefoots for winter and rockier areas, but they are expensive and I lost mine and did not replace them yet. I am considering a pair of sandals.

Fsocks, I realize Virbrams are not for everyone. It takes time to adjust even if they do work out. I get the impression you make character judgement based on shoes....so....what is the personality of someone who wears Hokas?

And for the record I would rather be a patchouli smelling hippy than an offensive bully. I guess I read this at the wrong time of the day.

Anyway...FTYC...I love minimalist running...I love the feel of the ground through barely there shoes.

I've taken worse risks in my life than a foot injury. Probably positioning myself next to patchouli smelling hippy trail runners is one of them. 

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Daydreamer1

Duck Tape 1.88" x 60 YD Silver All Purpose Strength Duct Tape, Single Roll, 394475

This should help them last 'til 500 miles

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I like my Virbrams, but I will admit to a few broken toes. I have had no overuse injuries of any kind in the 10 years I have worn them. I also like Vivo Barefoots for winter and rockier areas, but they are expensive and I lost mine and did not replace them yet. I am considering a pair of sandals.

Fsocks, I realize Virbrams are not for everyone. It takes time to adjust even if they do work out. I get the impression you make character judgement based on shoes....so....what is the personality of someone who wears Hokas?

And for the record I would rather be a patchouli smelling hippy than an offensive bully. I guess I read this at the wrong time of the day.

It was not my intent to offend; I'm a peacenik myself.  Ask Mandy.  Anyways, if we ever meet IRL I promise to buy you a beer or your beverage of choice.  

Anyway...FTYC...I love minimalist running...I love the feel of the ground through barely there shoes.

And for the record I've owned my own "clown shoes", Altra Olympus in neon orange.  Mama said they were my magic shoes.

You people have issues 

moonlightrunner

Sorry....I had a bad day at work and sometimes my mood distorts the tone of what I am reading.

And for the record I've owned my own "clown shoes", Altra Olympus in neon orange.  Mama said they were my magic shoes.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

GC100k

New shoes came today: Brooks Caldera

The bright orange looks really bright orange in person. Some dirt should tone them down a bit.

Wore them to WalMart and they feel pretty good. Roomy forefoot. We'll see if I like running in them.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The bright orange looks really bright orange in person. Some dirt should tone them down a bit.

Wore them to WalMart and they feel pretty good. Roomy forefoot. We'll see if I like running in them.

I am very much interested in those shoes.  Please report back once you've put in some miles!

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I am very much interested in those shoes.  Please report back once you've put in some miles!

ditto- as soon as you said roomy toe box

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

ditto- as soon as you said roomy toe box

Ditto, as soon as you said they worked well for walking in WalMart.

Okay, actually I don't think I've ever been in a Walmart, but folks on the Ultra thread were talking about Calderas and generally liked them. I'd be interested if you notice any issues from the lack of a rock plate when you're on rooty or rocky trails.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Are those a replacement for the Cascadias or a new shoe from Brooks?

You people have issues 

GC100k

Are those a replacement for the Cascadias or a new shoe from Brooks?

They're an addition to the line, different from Cascadias. They have high stack height and low drop, like Hoka. But they're much firmer and stiffer than Hoka, which I think I'll like. We'll see. btw, they're on Caldera 2 now but I bought Caldera 1.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I've been running in the Caldera 2 on trails and snow since the beginning of the year.  Mixed reviews from me, but that's mostly because my feet are weird to begin with.  On really tough technical trails, snow and slush, they're not very comfortable.  On easy trails and pavement, they feel fine.  I still prefer the Brooks Ghost 10's as the go-to shoe, either pavement or trail.  But I'm still working on the Caldera's.  Maybe it takes some time to fall in love.  But I don't expect them to disintegrate after a few hundred miles - folks in the ultra forum have tried and like them.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

GC100k

On really tough technical trails, snow and slush, they're not very comfortable.  On easy trails and pavement, they feel fine. 

I like the Challengers on technical trails here in Rocksylvania, but in spite of the thick stack they're not enough shoe for me (260 lbs) on pavement or flat hard trails. Similar story with my NB Minimus, which are the other end of the stack spectrum. So the Caldera, which has a high stack but according to reviews was more solid all around, was attractive to me. I was also similarly attracted to Salomon Sense Pro Max, but I couldn't find those on sale in my size.

Plus, there's always something better out there, right? And the next pair of shoes is always going to be the greatest ever and running will be effortless floating above the ground.

(unfortunately, it always turns out that I have the same feet and body with the new shoes as I had with the old)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euf3uk0QIaY

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Hrm, NB has done away with the Leadvilles which has been my trail shoe for the past 4 years.  Current shoes have about 300 miles on them but don't look near as bad as GC100K's.  I need to get to LRS to figure out my next trail shoe.

Cascadias gave me blisters near the pinky toe after only a few miles. 
                            Hokas have always run too narrow for me

I tried Altras but my achilles didn't like the zero drop even though I loved the wide toebox.

Maybe these Calderas will work or NB's replacement Hierro shoe.

You people have issues 

LB2

That was a rough 300 miles on those Hoka's. Did you run 299 of them through a saw mill?

The Brooks look great. I am sure they will work great, too.

LB2

runlikeagirI

I had the same issue with Hokas.  So many people I know sing the praises of the Challenger ATR, meanwhile I try it on and end up with a hotspot on my foot after a tenth of a mile trot in the running store parking lot.  And I do not have wide feet at all; I had never in my life tried on a shoe and thought "this feels narrow"...until Hoka.  Love my Calderas.

Hrm, NB has done away with the Leadvilles which has been my trail shoe for the past 4 years.  Current shoes have about 300 miles on them but don't look near as bad as GC100K's.  I need to get to LRS to figure out my next trail shoe.

Cascadias gave me blisters near the pinky toe after only a few miles. 
                                Hokas have always run too narrow for me

I tried Altras but my achilles didn't like the zero drop even though I loved the wide toebox.

Maybe these Calderas will work or NB's replacement Hierro shoe.