Trailer Trash

Marathon Monday (Read 33 times)

XtremeTaper

Hey, Boston Marathon today. Good luck Blargendarg. Weather does not look too bad right now.

Nice run yesterday with the Lady out at French Creek on our hilly rocky Sunday loop. Just 8 miles but felt good. Nice spring day with mild temperatures and an abundance of these little white wildflowers up high on ridge by Millers Point. Made the long steep climb up there from the hollow worthwhile. Today, looks to be a rainy wet muddy evening run over at Green Lane.

QOTD: Do you know anybody running Boston today? Any Boston or other marathon memories.

I ran Boston three times and felt like I knocked that 3rd one out of the park. 1st one was the Boston Bake of 2004, second run was decent but I lined up with an injury so could not run my best but I enjoyed it. Third one was perfect. Not a PR but a good time. Excellent running weather, I was in good 100 mile shape and ran a 3:13 as sort of a tempo run with literally no struggles at all. High fived my way all the way to the Boston and played around with crowds as well. It was super fun. Went that year with the Delaware track club so we had the bus that parked next to the corrals and waiting at the finish for us with a cooler full or beer. Great memories from the race that year.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Morning!  rest day for me today.  Legs are a little beat up from the last few days.  I might get a walk in to look for wildflowers in the woods.  That seems my speed today.

Good luck to Blarg!

qotd:  No, never ran any marathon.  Never have gotten that bug, but hey, I'm still young.  Or at least I think I am.  And this is a good question and I'm looking forward to more stories.  That beer bus at the finish line sounds nice.

Hello trailers,

Still recovering from Hyner 50k today. DOMS is hitting hard on day 2. I finished in 8:14, which I was happy with, since for a few moments I thought I might not finish at all.  I felt great up to about mile 22, after the 3rd climb.  Then by the 4th climb the heat absolutely CRUSHED me. The high was 78 degrees, but it felt more like 90 with no heat training under my belt. I wet my body frequently in stream crossings but I couldn't keep up with my hydration and was nauseous for the last 8 or so miles.  My heartrate felt like it was 200+ and I had to walk a lot of the last 5 miles. I think on a cooler day I would have easily broken 8 hours. Regardless, it was a BEAUTIFUL course and I'm so proud to have finished.  I'm writing a piece for RootsRated about it, so look for that in the next couple of weeks.

QOTD: I have a couple friends running Boston. I can't help but envy the cool rainy conditions after the hot, sunny race I had on Saturday. I'd love to get there one day at least to spectate, if not to run.

AT-runner

Tim

I'm back from my trip.  I'll get a R2R2R  RR up at some time. Only one light run since the canyon and played 6 rounds of golf and came in second for the week, so a great week for me.

Go Blarg Go !!!

QOTD:  Know several runners at Boston.  A good friend always seems to get a top 3 AG, but this year she's 49 and worried that being at the top of the AG might keep her off the list.  She runs low 3 hr's.  No Boston's for me. I BQ's but never ran the race because of an injury and then got out of marathon's.  Favorite Marathon experience for me was Chicago.  Beautiful day on a nice course.  Worst experience was NY, where it was way too crowded and by mile 4 any hope of reaching my race goal was shot due to the pace that the masses had given me (and I was in a 3:30 pace for my coral).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Only one short run over the weekend.  Still struggling with a severe lack of motivation (although the initial reports on Hyner are making me feel all tingly inside...).

Great job to all who raced this weekend!

Can't wait to read some reports.

QOTD: Go blarg!!!  I grew up near Boston so this was always a good day.  Not only did we have off school for the week, but the Red Sox play an early game and of course the marathon gets broadcast on TV.  I never ran it (not fast enough to qualify) but Boston will always have a special place in my heart.  It always lingered in the back of my mind that I wanted to one day run a marathon.  I attribute that directly to watching Boston every year.  It wasn't until I was in my early 30's did that become a reality.  Would love to run Boston someday but by the time I can qualify...uh that may never happen.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

The rain is finally moving out of here. Kind of a lazy morning but now I'll be heading out to Devil's lake to do some straight up vertical on the rocky bluffs there. Always a beautiful run, er trudge. Beats work.  Had a really good trail interval session yesterday. Legs had some bounce to 'em, maybe new shoes do matter. LOL!

QOTD--I'm sure if I looked I would see some names of folks I know but I just don't follow it.  I have only run 4-5 road marathons and they were way back in time. Probably have run 15-20 trail marathons which seems to be a good trail distance for me.  Memorable road ones--ran '85 Chicago with Joan Benoit Samuelson. We both had good days.   Best road course I ran was Big Sur back in the 90"s. Pretty good trip out there.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Feeling my run from yesterday 26.2 yep that's how it ended.  I hung with the group most of the run but last 6 miles put on the music and powered home.  Now it's hard walking down stairs.    I knew running that far was going to be a bit of a strain on the body but it felt good while doing it.  I may do a little 3 miler after work.  I owe it to Jack (since he stayed home while Earl ran).

QOTD:  I have about 4 folks I know running it today; oh, five including Blargenden.   I BQ couple times but really didn't want to spend the money to go to Boston. Not really a city girl.  I can't seem to pull up any special memories on a marathon.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Legs are a little sore and it's rainy around here so I may bag the run and spin some on the bike trainer since I still have that set up.  I'm supposed to be working 8 am to 8 pm today but for the third time in six weeks I switched to doing a 8 pm to 8 pm shift to help out one of the part timers. He has some specialized training at his full time job and every time we switch so he can go they cancel it on him . Kind of messes with my weekly plans.

QOTD: Other than Blargendarg I don't know of anyone. I'm sure there are some people who I have met in passing that are there, but I don't really keep up with it.  Never ran any road marathons.

XtremeTaper

T&C - Congrats on the Hyner finish. Good training for LH, the heat part at least. LH is nowhere near as hilly with the exception of the first 8 miles.

AT Runner - I ran NYC once and lucked out and was in a corral that was monitored. You couldn't get in without the bib being in the correct range. LOL, I could warm up with strides in that corral and piss next to the fence with plenty of spare.  When they let us up on the bridge I was close enough to see the elites just ahead. Crossed the line in under 10 seconds. Lucked out on that one. Chicago I "was" in great shape a week from the race but had a hamstring flare-up 5 days before the race and it seized at the halfway point. Nearly DNF'd that one, but found if I slowed down it would hurt less and I finished.

Queen - So a marathon for you yesterday. Nice! Did Earl run the whole way too?

Blargendarg - Congrats on your Boston Finish. Good time.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I'm running and he appears to walk...he has very long legs.   but yes he covered 26.2  He ran a 50K with me last year about this time.

Queen - So a marathon for you yesterday. Nice! Did Earl run the whole way too?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dpc3

I'm running and he appears to walk...he has very long legs.   but yes he covered 26.2  He ran a 50K with me last year about this time.

I got a distant Hello in the forest of NM Sue and wanted to say hello back to you! Hope all is well.

some call me Tim

Hey all, thanks for the kind words and stories. TnC that sounds like a rough day- nice report!

Honestly, the weather was pretty miserable. Temps in the 40s are fine but the wind gusts and rain early on made for a lot of borderline hypothermic people after. I had to readjust goals mid race but it went ok. LOVED all the downhills and I've always dug the city of Boston, too.  The love affair continues.

And while I don't love road marathons by any stretch, I may come back next year. The course and the crowds are a lot of fun and ageing up means I got a qualifying time today- 3:10:08

DigDug2

6 today on the TM at lunch.  Just got back from a relaxing vacation on the Outer Banks (NC).  I've gone there many times over the last 30 years, but it's one of my least favorite places to run, with the choices being beach running (which I hate) or running along the one flat road that goes up the spine of the barrier island.  I tried out a state park near the Kitty Hawk Wright Brothers Memorial that advertised "trails", but it was mostly big sand dunes.  Still ran every day - weather was decent and I was able to get in my morning run while the rest of the family slept.

QOTD:  I enjoy following the race and would like to be a spectator some year, but I don't really have any interest in running Boston (or any other big city road marathon).

DigDug2

Nicely done, Blarg!

runtraildc

DD2-- we go down usually once a year and I know how you feel. This last trip, I discovered the the Nags Head woods preserve (managed by TNC).  You're not going to log double digit miles without looping, but it is in a nicely forested section just south of that state park you visited.    I also discovered the back neighborhoods of Southern Shores (just north of 12 and the bay side of Duck Rd).  It's not trails, but , quiet and forested with some hills (it's relative).

6 today on the TM at lunch.  Just got back from a relaxing vacation on the Outer Banks (NC).  I've gone there many times over the last 30 years, but it's one of my least favorite places to run, with the choices being beach running (which I hate) or running along the one flat road that goes up the spine of the barrier island.  I tried out a state park near the Kitty Hawk Wright Brothers Memorial that advertised "trails", but it was mostly big sand dunes.  Still ran every day - weather was decent and I was able to get in my morning run while the rest of the family slept.