Trailer Trash

It's Friday and it's chaos! (Read 23 times)

moonlightrunner

Have you ever written a long post, then somehow lost it? I just did...but it's 330 am...I guess I have time to start off...again.

Weather Chaos: lots of stuff going on. Big storm in the east, rain and floods in the Midwest. It is only cold here, and recent warm weather has spoiled me. I am contemplating a rare morning run...but I would have to disturb the slumbering cat on my lap.

QOTD 1: any exciting weekend running plans? I want to do a 20 miler Sunday. I am considering a 50 miler in early April. I need to up my long runs.

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=47636

QOTD 2: and more chaos. REI announced a halt to orders from Vista companies (includes Camelbac and Bell) because they have taken no public stand on the gun issue since the Parkland shooting.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/news/companies/rei-vista-guns/index.html

Opinions?

I am all for corporate responses like this from Dick's and Walmart concerning gun issues, but I don't own guns of any kind, I don't hunt, and I tend to lean a bit to the left (my military and policeman son would call it much more than "a bit"), and I am not a frequent shopper at REI. I know many here might feel conflicted.

Ok..I'm either going running now...or to the grocery store now. I think today is a good day for a Crockpot of potatoes soup!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Have you ever written a long post, then somehow lost it? I just did...but it's 330 am...I guess I have time to start off...again.

Plenty of times.  But are you still up at 3:30 a.m. or wake up at 3:30 a.m.?

Don't know what I'll do today.  This morning walking in the parking lot from my car to the office door, the wind was so stiff it closed my umbrella.  Needless to say, I'm soaked.  Running tonight... TBD.

QOTD1:  Might go long/long again, but slower.  Still 20+ mpw winds hanging around this weekend, so that should be fun (not really).

QOTD2:  From what I've read, Vista's portfolio includes Savage Arms, which makes AR-15 style rifles.  I don't think REI is really looking for a "public stand" from Vista, but they want to distance themselves.  What could Vista say to make REI change their minds?  Other than sell off Savage from their portfolio?  Dick's and Walmart are making a business decision (not a moral one) IMO.  Their bottom lines will benefit in the long run from not selling those firearm models rather than continue to carry them.  But we'll see.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

XtremeTaper

Yes, I think that has happened to me before, losing a post that is. Now if I am going to type something long like a race report, I will put it in wordpad, save it as I go along then copy/paste.

No run today. Sort of planned my off day on the forecast and it is foul out there with rain and wind. Might get some snow at the tail end of this they say. The wind is the worst part and it hasn't really kicked up here too much yet.

QOTD1: No exciting weekend running plans. I will head over to Birdsboro Watershed on Sunday for a wandering run in the 10 mile range.

QOTD2: Not sure how I feel about companies expecting other companies to take a stance. Is it necessary? I don't know. Now I am moderate leaning just left of center I guess, and just do not understand all the chest thumping about assault weapons and the second amendment. I am a complete believer in the right to own guns for hunting, sport, protection, but an assault weapon goes beyond that and is not something our "founding fathers" considered. Might as well say I have the right to arm myself with a rocket launcher.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  Windy, windy, windy last night and today.  Dodged several trash cans that were all over the road, and trash everywhere. Sounded like a freight train a few times last night. Not as much rain here as they expected, but looks like Blue Marsh area got a bit more. Should be a fun 20 miler tomorrow in the wet windy woods. Plan is to run the first 6 with DW and then slowly pick up the pace.  That's the plan, anyway. The way I've felt lately, DW will probably drop me. On a continuation to that, I'm scheduled for blood work on Tuesday since it seems my body's "check engine" light has been on for a while.

QOTD 1: Yes, I've come back to check in the afternoon to see what people response was to my QOTD, only to see it never got posted.  Not sure if it was user error or computer error (probably user).

Edit, that wasn't QOTD #1, that was your opening line. - Yes, race tomorrow. See above.

QOTD 2 :  I'll try not to get too political, but I see no reason to have an assault weapon unless you have a patch on your sleeve with a flag on it  When 70% of the country agrees on anything, it's rare, and the only thing that prevents progress is $$$ paid to keep people in office.  Not much will change in this country until we have term limits. As far as picking a company based on just 1 political stance, I don't see that. What if a comes out against the NRA and then does testing on animals, which stance do you choose.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Just a little chaos here as I took DW to work then did some mile intervals before getting back home. Now I have to throw some gear together and then I committed to meeting some buds at the tavern as the Badgers advanced in their conference tournament so we'll watch them get thumped then I need to get back home quick, grab the dogs, and then pick up DW and head north. It will be difficult watching a game at a bar and not having a few beers.

QOTD 1--Nothing too exciting, a little snowshoeing and a moderate run.

QOTD2-I own way too many guns but my main statement is that the NRA does not represent me nor the vast majority of sensible gun owners. I have always been opposed to assault "style " rifles.   The 2nd amendment is open to some broad interpretations and while I do believe in our right to bear arms remember they were using muskets back then.

Don't have time for a long winded representation of my thoughts but I am happy at this point that there seems to be a little more positive movement towards common sense. Baby steps for sure but still a better dialog.

runtraildc

Hi all, left the house this morning to take DS to PT at the crack of dawn. That was enough for me to figure out that no outside run is in my cards today. Holy cow is it howling outside. Really, it's a waiting game for the power to go out at this point.  Anyways, DH has a backup power setup that will keep our furnace and wifi running for 24 hours or so if the power does go out. Fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that, but we're blessed/cursed to live in a neighborhood with big, old trees.

I'll go the gym for some strength work and treadmill time later today when I finish some house projects.

qotd: What the others say. What also has been piquing my interest is the Georgia legislature punishing Delta airlines for discontinuing it's NRA discount. Hmm, what hypocrisy (and blatantly unconstitutional from what I understand). I hope Delta takes a strong stance, though I don't know what yet that could be.

QOTD2-I own way too many guns but my main statement is that the NRA does not represent me nor the vast majority of sensible gun owners. I have always been opposed to assault "style " rifles.   The 2nd amendment is open to some broad interpretations and while I do believe in our right to bear arms remember they were using muskets back then.

Don't have time for a long winded representation of my thoughts but I am happy at this point that there seems to be a little more positive movement towards common sense. Baby steps for sure but still a better dialog.

Gator eye

Rest day.

QOTd1: hopefully pick up a new to me mt bike.

QOtD2: I'm tired of politics, greedy politicians have sold us out for money and power, common sense is dead. They don't even try for the middle ground. Term limits are a great idea

oh yeah I missed the original question , no I don't want the company I buy shoe from trying to dictate  public policies.

Daydreamer1

No outside run today. The wind is just too high. Probably do weight training and either walk on the TM or do an elliptical session.

Happy running to all those who are doing some type of mud fest this weekend.

QOTD1: Nothing exciting in the running department for the weekend. Hopefully the wind will die down enough so I can get a run in up on the mountain either tomorrow or the next day.

QOTD 2: Well this is too political for me and I'll piss off people but this is how I feel so oh well.   As far as a AR-15 type weapon being an "assault weapon" lets get this straight. Anything that's used to harm someone else is an "assault weapon". Including the knives in your kitchen. As far as some deranged a$$hole killing a bunch of people goes, anyone that knows how to use any gun can walk into a crowded area and kill dozens of people with AIMED fire just as fast as spraying rounds everywhere. AIMED fire is deadly, sprayed rounds are hit or miss.

Instead of knee jerk banning so called "assault weapons" why don't we have some ADULTS sit down at a table and discuss why so many people in this country are deranged and do something about it? The simple answer is because that would require real action including admitting that we have allowed our society to become extremely sick.  Parents would have to start taking responsibility for teaching their kids right from wrong. The news media from the far right to the far left would have to take responsibility for what they say, and lets face it most of them are just trying to incite rage in the populace for their own purposes.   Lets look at the drug problem we have in this country.

The gateway to this has been ALCOHOL. I see a lot of kids with drug problems. Most of them come from families where ALCOHOL is very prominent.  I'm sure everyone will argue that but I work in the trenches and see it.  Kids that drink young are more likely to start using MJ which leads into harder drugs which then leads to addiction and death. And handing out Narcan to all the druggies like the left likes to do has done nothing but throw gasoline on the flames. The media likes to cheer about the "saves". What they won't report is that it just encourages people to continue to use because it's a safety net.  I could give some real life examples but won't because this is a public forum and I have to abide by HIPPA.   Areas that I used to see a lot of ALCOHOL related problems 15-20 years ago are now where most of the drug problems are.

I'm sure my "attacks" on alcohol will piss off a lot of people here but the last time I checked drunk driving kills 2-3 people every hour. Talley that up for some statistics. A person that is dead from a drunk driver is just as dead as the one being shot.  I've given a few of those death notifications in my time. It's not fun.  So you say; "but I don't drive drunk". Great!!! I don't use my semi-automatic guns to kill people either. In fact on a percentage basis far more people drive "buzzed" then will ever use a gun for nefarious purposes.  It happens all the time. A "buzzed" driver hit DW and she was very lucky she didn't get hurt or killed.

Instead of  just looking at banning items, why don't we take a deep look into ourselves and get back to treating everyone with respect and teaching our kids to do the same.  All those values from the olden days that  so many people decided to abandon because they were quaint and cramping their style? Maybe we should bring some of them back. It just might help our sick society.

Sandy-2

I plan to run after work today.  No weather chaos here, it's nice today so it should be a good run later.

SIL, BIL and the kids from central PA are flying down tomorrow afternoon for week-long a visit. Hopefully they'll be able to escape Nor'easter/bomb cyclone thing. Planning to go to the rodeo, NASA, play golf, eat, drink etc. should be fun.

qotd1: nothing much, I'm currently taking it easy and still waiting to feel 'normal' again.  It's getting better so I'll get back on the horse in mid-March or April.

qotd2: I'm also a bit of a lefty (even left handed) and pretty much aligned with XT's comments.  Now we have Corporations pushing each other to take positions?  Atlanta screwing over one of their Corporate citizens over discounts? Sheesh.  I don't have guns, but I'm ok with gun ownership for hunting and sport, and ok with the second amendment and all, but there should be limits, like no semi-automatics, bump-stocks, large capacity magazines. (And don't give me the slippery slope junk.)  I know and agree the other "soft" measures like background checks, mental health checks, reporting, registries, etc, etc, should be put in place, but those are subject to human errors and are not "exact sciences".  Better to also put "hard" limits in place like no semi-auto and large capacity magazines so if a wacko falls through the cracks they can't do so much damage so quickly. By the way, they all should be federal regs and not each local state.

tbd.

moonlightrunner

The responses to the political qotd have been interesting. AT, I do agree there are much deeper problems that are the true causes of these violent acts for which assault style weapons seem to be the tool of choice. I quess I don't see a use for them and see nothing wrong with removing them from civilian arsenal.

I worry about the mental health and substance abuse issues you mentioned. I just am not sure how any of it can be fixed. I don't feel a great deal of optimism that it can be fixed.

I enjoyed hearing the opinions...I promise not to make future QOTD political in nature.

Anyone see that moon this morning? I really should have gone for a run instead of to the store this morning!

I hope you all stay safe in the nasty weather.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

XtremeTaper

DD - It seems you have a big issue with alcohol. I am sure in your profession, you see the worst so I am not going to argue with you about the impacts of people who are irresponsible, with drugs, alcohol, and guns. Notice most of these items there are laws to prevent misuse. I think a lot of this does boil down to personal responsibility, parents not raising their kids properly, instilling values, etc. I am not sure how you rectify that. The government cannot legislate morals or personal responsibility. A lot of people likely feel trapped, with no future, thus turn to some of these substances you abhor for escape. I don't know what the solution is but this case is just going to repeat itself over and over I fear.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

I think any moron who just got off the boat knows what is meant by "assault style rifle". The reality is they have no useful purpose as either a hunting rifle or a target rifle. You can invent games after the fact to justify owning one but they are designed for one thing only.

Here's the fact--only 10% of gun owners belong to the NRA. That organization should be treated  and viewed for what they really are. Just who are they looking out for? I think mainly the gun manufacturers who pay them huge amounts of money to keep spinning the right wing propaganda. What law abiding citizen and gun owner would be against an in-depth background check and a waiting period?

Yeah, lets treat everyone with respect. Sounds great. Get rid of drunk driving, good idea. But explain to me how your 2nd amendment rights are being trampled by getting rid of such a tool of mass killing. Times have changed and evolved. Heck, we used to take pellet guns up to our grade school when I was a kid. Not these days. Laws have to evolve with the changing times. I hardly think this is a knee jerk reaction. Usually what we here from the right wing is "now is not the time" after an event." Then of course the discussion never happens. I say vote against any politician who accepts money from the NRA. And I say that as a lifetime owner of too many guns.

Daydreamer1

XT- About having a big problem with Alcohol, I do.  I deal with many more issues from alcohol alone then I do from guns and considering that I've worked night shift in two very nasty cities that's saying something.  I can also draw a pretty convincing link from it to the drug problems that we have right now.  Now, all that being said I would not ban it. Partly because I'm Libertarian in nature, partly because it's been tried before and because most people actually use it semi responsibly.  But that's also where the guns laws come in. By far the vast majority of gun owners, including those that allow semi autos like a AR 15, are decent law abiding citizens as well.  In fact one study showed that those with concealed carry permits are more law abiding then even police officers.  And I also have several people in my family with ruined lives or who are dead from alcohol and drugs.

Harrier -  You say I can't justify having a "tool of mass killing".  Any gun can be used to kill a lot of people. There are many of us who can shoot just as effectively and fast with a lever or pump action as we can with a semi-auto, and still quite fast and deadly with a bolt action.  And when we talk about justifying any gun, well, you don't need one for hunting either. In fact you don't even need to hunt.  In this day and age there is really no need for hunting as there is plenty of food from farms.  And just remember many, if not most, anti-gun people are also anti hunting.

We can sit around and argue about why we should or shouldn't have guns all day long, and that's what people like to do. Yet we never once want to sit down and take a deep look into ourselves and our society and figure out why just a few decades ago kids would openly carry knives to school, and it was a open secret that some would stash their gun in the trunk of their car. What changed??? Why??  And more importantly why don't we want to work to get it back to where we were?  Is it because we are afraid that somehow we caused it? I suspect so.  I have ideas on how we got here, but I'm sure no one really cares because it's easier to just ban items and let the animals run amok.